Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Washer and drier on same circuit

Does Code allow a washer and drier on the same circuit? I've got a
European style washer with a 240 volt plug (NEMA 6-20P) and I have
just bought its matching drier which has the North American drier
plug. I was thinking of replacing the North American drier cord and
plug with a 240 volt plug and using it on the same circuit as the
washer. Are there any code issues here? I may have to boost the
breaker and Romex back to the board as I will be more than doubling
the load from 2300 (washer) by adding 3070 (drier) for a max of 5370
watts. So I'm thinking I may need a 25 or 30 A breaker.

Any thoughts?

Jimbo

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 8, 12:58?pm, Jimbo wrote:
Does Code allow a washer and drier on the same circuit? I've got a
European style washer with a 240 volt plug (NEMA 6-20P) and I have
just bought its matching drier which has the North American drier
plug. I was thinking of replacing the North American drier cord and
plug with a 240 volt plug and using it on the same circuit as the
washer. Are there any code issues here? I may have to boost the
breaker and Romex back to the board as I will be more than doubling
the load from 2300 (washer) by adding 3070 (drier) for a max of 5370
watts. So I'm thinking I may need a 25 or 30 A breaker.

Any thoughts?

Jimbo

run a seperate circuit for the washer.

it will cost less.

dryer shouldnt be fused for more than its maximum current needs

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 8, 3:40 pm, " wrote:
On Nov 8, 12:58?pm, Jimbo wrote:

Does Code allow a washer and drier on the same circuit? I've got a
European style washer with a 240 volt plug (NEMA 6-20P) and I have
just bought its matching drier which has the North American drier
plug. I was thinking of replacing the North American drier cord and
plug with a 240 volt plug and using it on the same circuit as the
washer. Are there any code issues here? I may have to boost the
breaker and Romex back to the board as I will be more than doubling
the load from 2300 (washer) by adding 3070 (drier) for a max of 5370
watts. So I'm thinking I may need a 25 or 30 A breaker.

Any thoughts?

Jimbo

run a seperate circuit for the washer.

it will cost less.

dryer shouldnt be fused for more than its maximum current needs

Tks.

This is all in an unfinished basement so I can run anything I need
without too much trouble.

Can I ask why you suggest a seperate circuit given that I have an
outlet and spare outlet right there?

Jimbo

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 8, 6:24 pm, "Steve Barker" wrote:
why would a washer draw so many watts?? does it have a water heater built
in possibly?

"Jimbo" wrote in message

ups.com...

Does Code allow a washer and drier on the same circuit? I've got a
European style washer with a 240 volt plug (NEMA 6-20P) and I have
just bought its matching drier which has the North American drier
plug. I was thinking of replacing the North American drier cord and
plug with a 240 volt plug and using it on the same circuit as the
washer. Are there any code issues here? I may have to boost the
breaker and Romex back to the board as I will be more than doubling
the load from 2300 (washer) by adding 3070 (drier) for a max of 5370
watts. So I'm thinking I may need a 25 or 30 A breaker.

Any thoughts?

Jimbo

Yes. This model only has a single water feed old water feed and if
hot water is needed, its heated "on board".

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 10, 1:24 pm, Jimbo wrote:
On Nov 8, 6:24 pm, "Steve Barker" wrote:

why would a washer draw so many watts?? does it have a water heater built
in possibly?

"Jimbo" wrote in message

oups.com...

Does Code allow a washer and drier on the same circuit? I've got a
European style washer with a 240 volt plug (NEMA 6-20P) and I have
just bought its matching drier which has the North American drier
plug. I was thinking of replacing the North American drier cord and
plug with a 240 volt plug and using it on the same circuit as the
washer. Are there any code issues here? I may have to boost the
breaker and Romex back to the board as I will be more than doubling
the load from 2300 (washer) by adding 3070 (drier) for a max of 5370
watts. So I'm thinking I may need a 25 or 30 A breaker.

Any thoughts?

Jimbo

Yes. This model only has a single water feed old water feed and if
hot water is needed, its heated "on board".

Forgive my confusing typo above What I meant to say was that this
machine has only a single water connection and is normally connected
to the cold water feed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 19:08:15 -0500, "Mark" wrote:

If the dryer were to have a problem and draw more current than it is rated,
the over-sized breaker would likely not trip until the drier was on fire.

I've never believed in arguements like the above. Dryers generally
fault by having open circuit components or dead shorts, such as the
heating element breaking open and its ends dropping to a ground point.
That results in a dead short that will blow any reasonable breaker.
They also have overtemp thermostats that cut power in cases of
overheating.

To buy the above posters logic, every item in a house should be on a
breaker with just higher capacity than the normal current need. Thus
you better not have your 60 watt table lamp on a 15 amp circuit, you
better not have your 700 watt refrigerator on a 20 amp circuit, etc,
etc.

Doug
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 06:10:58 -0500, Doug
wrote:

[...]

And you'd need some .02A breakers for LED holiday lights.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"Never underestimate the power of stupid
people in large groups"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 13, 6:10 am, Doug wrote:
[...]

Here's more information on my issue. I bought the washer some years
back with the NEMA 6-20P plug on it and so I ran a 240 volt circuit
for it. Recently, I picked up the matching drier but was surprised to
see a regular drier plug on it. This also came with a box which has a
drier outlet, a NEMA 6-20R outlet both double fused and a cord with a
drier plug on it! Clearly, this was intended for people buying both
appliances at the same time and having a drier outlet available to
them. I'm kind of in the opposite situation..

Drier Won't Dry Mike Home Repair 10 July 7th 07 04:05 AM
Drier Repair George UK diy 15 March 8th 07 06:39 PM
Hotpoint Washer / Drier john UK diy 6 December 14th 05 12:48 PM
Indesit wdg1295w washer/drier tripping RCD on final fast spin spanner UK diy 6 February 6th 04 10:08 AM
Whirlpool Washer trips circuit breaker in spin cylce Mike Home Repair 6 August 24th 03 06:35 AM