Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Tight threads (dishwasher supply elbow)

I just got a new dishwasher, and purchased a 3/8" steel braid line
with 90 degree brass elbow (clearly marked for use with dishwashers)
to hook up the hot water supply.

The elbow connection to the appliance is exceptionally tight...and I
am reluctant to force it. Shouldn't these things be standard? I can
get it screwed in (by hand) maybe 1 - 2 full turns, but that leaves a
good 75% of the threads exposed.

Do I have the wrong fitting? Are my threads slightly too large?
Should I try wrenching the connection? This was a 'dry fit', as I
was planning on using teflon tape on all connections...but I'm pretty
sure that teflon will just get shredded when I apply force.

Any ideas?