Posted to alt.home.repair

Default I'm ****ed Off

In 1950 or 51 my parents bought a 1950 Zenith tv console with record
player and am-fm radio. I know they paid a lot of money for it and
had to save for a long time. I watched this tv as a young boy and for
years. In later years they got a color tv and this one went into
their basement rec room. Eventually it quit working but was used as a
bench, and fortunately was not thrown away. When I was in my 20's my
father was going to toss it in the garbage but I was playing with a
lot of electronics at the time and I fixed it with some tubes and if I
recall, some new filter capacitors. It worked for several years after
that. Eventually I inherited it when I got my own place, and I
replaced some tubes and used it for a few years until I got a color
tv. However, I kept this set and intended to completely rebuild it.
Its been in my basement for years and I could never toss it. A few
years ago I plugged it in and the radio worked fine, record player
worked (but who uses records any more), but the tv had a noticable hi
voltage leak, so I shut it off. Since then I have planned to restore
it as an antique. It has lots of memories attached. I do believe the
tv portion needs something more than tubes by now, but I planned to
restore it anyhow. That was until recently when I found out they are
going to completely eliminate analog tv stations and switch everything
to digital. That's why I am ****ed off. Even if I restore this old
tv, there will no longer be anything to watch on it. I know there
will be converters for newer tvs, but I doubt it will work on an old
set like that, since there are no input jacks. It looks like anyone
that collects antique tvs will no longer be able to watch them. As
always, the government is screwing up our lives, but thats nothing
new. Hell, tv frequencies have been the same ever since the beginning
of tv itself, but now that we entered the 21st century everything is
changing so fast one can no longer keep up. This really does **** me
off. Maybe it's my age, but why cant they just leave things be.
Pretty soon anyone over the age of 12 will be obsolete and rendered
useless. New technology is great for those who want it, but why cant
they leave the old stuff alone. It's history and it's well
established and is part of our culture. Cant the government just
leave us alone for once and stop screwing up our world. I'll admit
that when color tv first came out I thought it was the greatest thing,
but now it's fun to see an old B&W tv still working.

You can see a picture of this tv he
http://www.tvhistory.tv/1950-Zenith-G2957R.JPG

By the way, this console has a special plug for "video phone". This
was way ahead of it's time, and never was used. It's a great set and
a nice cabinet either way, but I guess there's no sense fixing the tv
part anymore.

Alvin
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
news
[...]

They will work the same way as they do now with cable. A simple 75ohm
antenna to coax adapter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 07:14:01 -0600, wrote:

In 1950 or 51 my parents bought a 1950 Zenith tv console with record
player and am-fm radio.

Will it get channel 83?

[...]

Can't use an RF modulator?

[...]

Is this useful for anything? Maybe those baseband inputs you need.

This
was way ahead of it's time, and never was used. It's a great set and
a nice cabinet either way, but I guess there's no sense fixing the tv
part anymore.

Alvin

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

school classes." -- Ted Kennedy
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
wrote:

[...]

Do we have to have this conversation every single month? Your TV will
work fine unless you hook it up to an antenna. Cable, VCR, DVD player,
will all work exactly the way they do now. So fix it already.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 7, 8:14 am, wrote:
[...]

Alvin,

If you like TV, get yourself infront of an HD TV that picks up HD
over the air. you'll stop compaining in a hearbeat.
the quality difference between tv and HDTV is amazing! I'm glad the
switch is on, and I wish that the Canadian Gov was moving in the same
direction.
your old TV will still work in range of Canadian TV stations, they
are not switching yet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hey, you hooked a bunch of people with your troll!
(God, I hope it was a troll...)

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

You can always use the TV for playing VCR tapes or DVDs. The hi-def
screens are so much better than CRTs. That's progress. I'm sure you
can recycle the cabinet and use it for a piece of furniture.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Is this the console that was blonde in color. It had double doors in
the front that were bent. The speaker was downward mounted
on the bottom right. The FM dial was vertical on the left with the
record player, TV on the right.

You didn't have one of these, did you?
Posted to alt.home.repair

You won't need one for a year or so, but it looks like ATSC to NTSC
converters will be available for less than $100, if and when you actually
need one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

As you said: "Who uses records anymore?"

Well, who uses black-and-white TV?

Donate the thing to the Smithsonian and take a tax deduction.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 07:17:18 -0800, Zephyr
wrote:

[snip]

Alvin,

If you like TV, get yourself infront of an HD TV that picks up HD
over the air. you'll stop compaining in a hearbeat.
the quality difference between tv and HDTV is amazing! I'm glad the
switch is on, and I wish that the Canadian Gov was moving in the same
direction.

[snip]

Yes, it's better. I can look at a HD picture and it's perfectly
steady, unlike NTSC which is always wiggling around like you're drunk.
Also, the color is much better.

BTW, one of the first things I saw in HD was Harry Potter and the
Sorcerer's Stone (the first movie). It has some really nice outdoor
scenes.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

school classes." -- Ted Kennedy

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 15:58:43 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

Hey, you hooked a bunch of people with your troll!
(God, I hope it was a troll...)

With no indication of WHO you're talking about. Maybe you just don't
like people...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Harry" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 15:58:43 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

Hey, you hooked a bunch of people with your troll!
(God, I hope it was a troll...)

With no indication of WHO you're talking about. Maybe you just don't
like people...

And maybe you are a moron.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 16:59:47 -0500, wrote:

Is this the console that was blonde in color. It had double doors in
the front that were bent. The speaker was downward mounted
on the bottom right. The FM dial was vertical on the left with the
record player, TV on the right.

You didn't have one of these, did you?

Nope

If you missed this link in my original post, heres a picture of one.
I like this website, it's got pics and info for almost every tv ever
made.

http://www.tvhistory.tv/1950-Zenith-G2957R.JPG

Someone suggested removing the innards and using the cabinet. I came
close to doing that once, but am glad I didn't. I want it original,
and I love old tube stuff. Thats when they really built stuff. The
main problem with that stuff are the old caps. I actually did remove
the record player years ago and put a modern record player in it, but
I kept the old one, and now it's back.

That small round picture was actually quite clear for it's age. This
was a well made set.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 7 Nov 2007 17:22:07 -0600, "HeyBub" wrote:

wrote:
[...]

Actually I have lots of records, but I wont play them on this old
player because the needle was heavy and hard on them. I still play
records at times but use a modern player with light stylus.

Since all I watch are old westerns and other older stuff, much if not
most of its in B&W anyhow. It's just that I now watch on a dvd or
vcr.

The younger generation seems to think anything old is junk, however
being old myself, I appreciate the stuff, and it was quality made too.
Thats why this old set can still be usable with a few repairs after 60
years. You wont find any of todays stuff still working in 60 years.

Our younger generation seems to think everything needs to be replaced
every 2 to 5 years, and that's exactly what the manufacturers want.
But I'll leave all the debt to them, and many of them will never get
out of debt. Myself, everything is paid for except my last phone
bill.which I forgot to pay last week. I appreciate this old tv which
I watched as a child, as well as I still use my 8 year old computer
with Win98. I dont need to keep up with the Jonses to prove anything
to anyone.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
New technology is great for those who want it, but why cant
they leave the old stuff alone. It's history and it's well
established and is part of our culture. Cant the government just
leave us alone for once and stop screwing up our world. I'll admit
that when color tv first came out I thought it was the greatest thing,
but now it's fun to see an old B&W tv still working.

Some of us want to move ahead. Just like computers, indoor plumbing and
central heat.

When that TV came on the market, some idiot probably complained it was going
to ruin radio and progress should be stopped. Bring back vaudeville!

I love my HDTV

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 7 Nov 2007 22:19:02 -0500, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

wrote in message
New technology is great for those who want it, but why cant
they leave the old stuff alone. It's history and it's well
established and is part of our culture. Cant the government just
leave us alone for once and stop screwing up our world. I'll admit
that when color tv first came out I thought it was the greatest thing,
but now it's fun to see an old B&W tv still working.

Some of us want to move ahead. Just like computers, indoor plumbing and
central heat.

I have all of the above (plus a wood furnace) !!!!!
And I was one of the first people to have a computer back when they
were all run on Dos. I like the computer but I dont need to upgrade
every year. My win98 works fine and is far less trouble than any
newer OS. Actually this computer came with Win2K installed but I
hated it so I downgraded to what I liked.

When that TV came on the market, some idiot probably complained it was going
to ruin radio and progress should be stopped. Bring back vaudeville!

I wish they would bring back vaudeville, its better than most of the
garbage they call tv and movies today. I remember when tv had humor
unlike today when we have all these "reality" shows that mostly suck.
Soap Operas that are not worth the electricity to run the tv,
Violence, more violence, and even most of the so called comedians
these days are not funny at all. The Craig Ferguson is one prime
example. After watching about 10 of his shows, I have never laughed
yet, not even one small chuckle. I stopped watching him after that.
It's no wonder we have so many problems in society. Give me the good
old days when people were free and happy, and cared more for each
other than trying to impress others with what they own.

I love my HDTV

Great, now tell me how many years will you be in debt for it, and what
high interest you have to pay? I like my $89 - 20" flat screen crt
color tv that I bought about 2 years ago and is all I need. Of course
in a little over a year it will go blank. We dont get cable here in
the rural areas. But I still have my dvd and vcr. Mostly just the
news and weather I will miss. Of course if I find one of them
converters for $20 or less, I may get one. Of course one means I will
have to keep moving it from set to set, and the vcr tuner still wont
work without yet another converter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I love my HDTV

Great, now tell me how many years will you be in debt for it, and what
high interest you have to pay?

Sorry to disappoint you, but I paid cash, $1300 three years ago. Add
another $100 for the wood as I built my own solid oak furniture grade stand
for it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 7, 7:14 am, wrote:
[...]

This set is very worthy of restoration, if you really want to do it,
you will.

Post it here and get an evaluation:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...o+phono/topics

BTW you can always get an RF modulator and go into channel 3 or 4,
considering how dirty the old tuner probably is, this would be an
added bonus to not have to use the original tuner. The picture tube
could also be going dim and you will have a hard time finding a new
pix tube, you might find one of those in-line "brighteners" but those
will shorten any last life in the pix tube electron gun. Most all of
the other parts are readily available or have substitutes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 21:13:51 -0800, RickH
wrote:

On Nov 7, 7:14 am, wrote:
[...]

Thanks

I like that site. Lots of interesting stuff.

The picture tube on this set was always good. The tuner was flakey, I
think thats the most common problem on all older sets. I have sprayed
it several times already. I guess when a picture tube goes, it's over
for most tvs. I remember having a color set in the 60's who's pic
tube died. I saved the chassis always hoping to find a replacement
tube. I just pulled the small tubes and threw that chassis in the
trash a couple years ago. The old color tvs were really expensive and
were worth fixing, but no longer. Only the real antiques, like my old
Zenith are worth the effort now.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 7 Nov 2007 22:54:51 -0500, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

wrote in message
I love my HDTV

Great, now tell me how many years will you be in debt for it, and what
high interest you have to pay?

Sorry to disappoint you, but I paid cash, $1300 three years ago. Add
another $100 for the wood as I built my own solid oak furniture grade stand
for it.

We're all different.... If you can justify that kind of money for a
tv, thats great. To me, anything much over $100 is too much.
To me, a tv is just something to catch the news and weather and watch
an occasional tape or dvd. Even if I could get cable, I wouldnt spend
no $50 or more per month. That's just my preference. I'd rather
spend the money on other things that I get more enjoyment from.

I can watch a movie on a 12 inch tv with one speaker, or on a big
screen with surround. It's the same movie and I can enjoy it the same
either way. It's just a movie ! I also dont care for loud sound
systems. I cant hear the doorbell, or anything else with all that
noise. Being a farmer, I have to listen to what's going on outside so
I dont end up like my neighbor who recently had his entire herd of
cattle and horses get loose.

On the other hand, sitting in front of my antique Zenith and watching
an old B&W episode of Bonanza or the Lone Ranger brings back great
memories.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 01:45:40 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

"Harry" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 15:58:43 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

Hey, you hooked a bunch of people with your troll!
(God, I hope it was a troll...)

With no indication of WHO you're talking about. Maybe you just don't
like people...

And maybe you are a moron.

Thank you for describing yourself. You've succeeded and may leave now.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

wrote in message
New technology is great for those who want it, but why cant
they leave the old stuff alone. It's history and it's well
established and is part of our culture. Cant the government just
leave us alone for once and stop screwing up our world. I'll admit
that when color tv first came out I thought it was the greatest thing,
but now it's fun to see an old B&W tv still working.

Some of us want to move ahead. Just like computers, indoor plumbing and
central heat.

I have all of the above (plus a wood furnace) !!!!!
And I was one of the first people to have a computer back when they
were all run on Dos. I like the computer but I dont need to upgrade
every year. My win98 works fine and is far less trouble than any
newer OS. Actually this computer came with Win2K installed but I
hated it so I downgraded to what I liked.

Strange, considering that I found w2k more reliable than any other
version.

When that TV came on the market, some idiot probably complained it was going
to ruin radio and progress should be stopped. Bring back vaudeville!

I wish they would bring back vaudeville, its better than most of the
garbage they call tv and movies today.

I don't watch most of the new TV shows, for that reason.

I remember when tv had humor
unlike today when we have all these "reality" shows that mostly suck.

Yes, they do.

[snip]

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

school classes." -- Ted Kennedy
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

wrote in message
I love my HDTV

Great, now tell me how many years will you be in debt for it, and what
high interest you have to pay?

Sorry to disappoint you, but I paid cash, $1300 three years ago. Add
another $100 for the wood as I built my own solid oak furniture grade stand
for it.

I paid cash for mine too. You get more for less $.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 21:45:26 -0600, wrote:

I wish they would bring back vaudeville, its better than most of the
garbage they call tv and movies today. I remember when tv had humor
unlike today when we have all these "reality" shows that mostly suck.
Soap Operas that are not worth the electricity to run the tv,
Violence, more violence, and even most of the so called comedians
these days are not funny at all. The Craig Ferguson is one prime
example. After watching about 10 of his shows, I have never laughed
yet, not even one small chuckle. I stopped watching him after that.
It's no wonder we have so many problems in society. Give me the good
old days when people were free and happy, and cared more for each
other than trying to impress others with what they own.

Sorry to have to say ... I agree to most all of this.

I'll assume that the "Entertainment Industry" (EI) in the US is
primarily a money-grubbing and propaganda machine until I have
evidence to the contrary. Endless idiot garbage-hype, grossly
contrived BS, etc largely designed to foster a culture of
intellectual zombies. I still get cable but only for the infrequent
(1 in 100 ?) decent movie and certain over-hyped sports. Haven't
watched -any- "prime time" programming since Hill St Blues.

Food for thought. Somebody/anybody can split hairs over the
"precise" numbers, but I grossly estimate that, when they OK'd the
demise of NTSC, there were about 300 million "old" tuners in tv's,
vcr's, etc in the US. Can you imagine why the Fedral Gummint would
render such eqpt (about 2 tuners in every US household) inoperable
for the public airwaves just to re-cycle some frequencies? Makes no
sense whatsoever without the EI's hooks in such alleged gov't. "They
are bought and paid for!".

I have no objection to making the bleeding edge stuff available: if
folks wanna spend their money on it, that's their business. But,
trashing ~300 million tuners constitutes terminal insanity and
prima facie proof of gov't control by large moneyed interests.

I read every night and encourage everyone to find a good book.
The garbage on the tube/LCD/whatever will rot your sensibilities
Muy Pronto.

S'long,
AQ

"The monkey and the baboon was playing 7-up.
The monkey won the money but he scared to pick it up.
The monkey stumbled, mama.
The baboon fell.
The monkey grab the money and he run like hell!"
- from "Dirty Motherfuyer", Roosevelt Sykes, around 1935
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Alphonse Q Muthafuyer" wrote in message

I'll assume that the "Entertainment Industry" (EI) in the US is
primarily a money-grubbing and propaganda machine until I have
evidence to the contrary. Endless idiot garbage-hype, grossly
contrived BS, etc largely designed to foster a culture of
intellectual zombies. I still get cable but only for the infrequent
(1 in 100 ?) decent movie and certain over-hyped sports. Haven't
watched -any- "prime time" programming since Hill St Blues.

I'll agree on the so called entertainment side of TV, but there are may
intresting shows on travel, science, nature, home improvement, etc, that can
educate and broaden the horizons of the viewer. The recent PBS series The
War was very educational. I enjoy watching How Its Made on the Science
channel. The Planet Earth series on Discovery HD Theater was fascinating.
Some of the travel shows have been a help to preview other countries before
I went there. I have a DV-R so I watch what I want, when I want to watch
it.

Food for thought. Somebody/anybody can split hairs over the
"precise" numbers, but I grossly estimate that, when they OK'd the
demise of NTSC, there were about 300 million "old" tuners in tv's,
vcr's, etc in the US. Can you imagine why the Fedral Gummint would
render such eqpt (about 2 tuners in every US household) inoperable
for the public airwaves just to re-cycle some frequencies? Makes no
sense whatsoever without the EI's hooks in such alleged gov't. "They
are bought and paid for!".

So you buy a digital adapter. At some point you just have to drop the old
technology and take a step ahead. This is not much different than when you
abandoned that 300 baud modem you used to connect to the internet. Or are
you still using it?

I read every night and encourage everyone to find a good book.
The garbage on the tube/LCD/whatever will rot your sensibilities

Are you into the romance novels?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 09:07:51 -0600, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

Strange, considering that I found w2k more reliable than any other
version.

Maybe it is. I quit using it mainly because I still like to access
DOS. Not only do I still use some dos apps., but I like to be able to
tinker with windows from the C: prompt when it gets screwed up. I
rarely have problems with 98, except for IE locking up fairly often,
which means I just use Firefox more now. The only other drawback with
98 is the need to install drivers for USB devices. I have considered
switching to WinME because of that, but I understand ME lacks dos too.

I may have to eventually dual boot to 98 and XP or something, but that
seems like a big hassle to me. All I really do with the computer is
internet, word processing and some photoshop stuff. None of this
really needs anything above 98 or more power. I cant play most of the
videos that are so popular these days on the net, but being on dialup
they are too slow anyhow, and who really needs them.....
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 23:01:53 GMT, Alphonse Q Muthafuyer
wrote:

[...]

You said it........
I completely agree.....

If they want us to use a convertor, then I want ONE (whole house)
convertor that I can connect to my antenna, and wire it to the whole
house. I dont want to buy one for every tuner. I think your figures
are low on the amount of tuners per house. I have a small house, but
I have 2 tv's and 2 vcr's. That's 4 tuners alone. That does not
include the 12V portable 5" B&W tv I bought when I go camping, which
will not be convertable and will become useless entirely.
I also liked to take that tv to the barn when I need to watch a sick
animal or just want to sit outdoors on a hot summer day and watch the
tv with a cold beer. I will not be able to do any of that anymore.
This 12V portable could be run in a vehicle off the car battery, run
on 8 "D" batteries, or plugged in with the transformer. After the
change it will only work with the plug in and a convertor, which makes
it pretty useless for it's intended purpose.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

When you make the claim that you are still using Win98 because it's
less trouble than any newer OS, it makes me wonder how out of touch
with reality you really are. You could practically crash Win98 just
by looking at it. There was no use of memory protection to isolate
one task from another, so when one app blew up, the whole system
crashed. XP and Vista are an order of magnitude more reliable,
easier to install new hardware/software, user friendly, and support
apps that Win98 never could. If you only use one app and it still
runs fine on your Win98, that's OK, but it doesn't make Win98 the
superior OS. I can't imagine using Win98 on a PC today that's
connected to the internet and being used for even a part of what most
home PCs are used for today.

Regarding your restoration project, the govt will be giving out two
$40 coupons for converters to any household that receives ONLY via
antenna, ie they do not have cable, sat, etc. That should drop the
net cost to less that $30 bucks or so for a converter. Yeah, it
ain't free, but it seems it's not such a bad compromise either.

BTW, you said you'd only spend $100 for a TV. How much do you think
it's going to cost to restore that 50's TV? I'm no expert in this
area, but I would think that components beyond the simple stuff like
capacitors, could cost quite a bit. Like what do people do for tubes
these days?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Strange, considering that I found w2k more reliable than any other
version.

Maybe it is. I quit using it mainly because I still like to access
DOS.

There are a few problems with older software / hardware, but for
Windows applications 2K is much better.

Not only do I still use some dos apps., but I like to be able to
tinker with windows from the C: prompt when it gets screwed up. I
rarely have problems with 98, except for IE locking up fairly often,
which means I just use Firefox more now. The only other drawback with
98 is the need to install drivers for USB devices. I have considered
switching to WinME because of that, but I understand ME lacks dos too.

Not True. ME has DOS (v8.0) just like 98 (v7.1) does. MS has just made
some attempt to hide it, but it's there. ME won't let you boot from HD
without starting the GUI, but does let you create a bootable DOS disk.

I may have to eventually dual boot to 98 and XP or something,

XP and 2K are very similar, it's just that XP adds a lot of crap and
unfeatures.

but that
seems like a big hassle to me. All I really do with the computer is
internet, word processing and some photoshop stuff. None of this
really needs anything above 98 or more power. I cant play most of the
videos that are so popular these days on the net, but being on dialup
they are too slow anyhow, and who really needs them.....

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

school classes." -- Ted Kennedy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 01:35:38 -0600, wrote:

[snip]

If they want us to use a convertor, then I want ONE (whole house)
convertor that I can connect to my antenna, and wire it to the whole
house.

You can do that now, it's just limited to ONE channel. A multichannel
setup would be quite expensive, and probably not worth it.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Amazing that you think Photoshop app is cool under Win98. I remember
all the trouble trying to do anything that was image or graphic
intensive under Win98. It was notoriously unreliable and crash
prone. Exactly like you report today with Windows Explorer locking
up, forcing you to choose Firefox. Which again is OK, if that's
what you want to use, but it shows you're limiting your apps choice to
get around Win98 problems, so how is it better than Vista or XP?

I cant play most of the
videos that are so popular these days on the net, but being on dialup
they are too slow anyhow, and who really needs them.....

Running Win98 with a modem, how would you know what a modern OS and
computer are capable of to make a fair comparison? I've used Win98
and can tell you, any of today's OS's are far superior.

Mark Lloydhttp://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

school classes." -- Ted Kennedy

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 8 Nov 2007 22:15:37 -0500, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

"Alphonse Q Muthafuyer" wrote in message

I'll assume that the "Entertainment Industry" (EI) in the US is
primarily a money-grubbing and propaganda machine until I have
evidence to the contrary. Endless idiot garbage-hype, grossly
contrived BS, etc largely designed to foster a culture of
intellectual zombies. I still get cable but only for the infrequent
(1 in 100 ?) decent movie and certain over-hyped sports. Haven't
watched -any- "prime time" programming since Hill St Blues.

I'll agree on the so called entertainment side of TV, but there are may
intresting shows on travel, science, nature, home improvement, etc, that can
educate and broaden the horizons of the viewer.

This is true. It's not 100% Idiot-Garbage. Only about 99 44/100%.

The recent PBS series The
War was very educational.

It wasn't for me. Ken Burns has his own media agenda, and it shows.

I enjoy watching How Its Made on the Science
channel. The Planet Earth series on Discovery HD Theater was fascinating.
Some of the travel shows have been a help to preview other countries before
I went there. I have a DV-R so I watch what I want, when I want to watch
it.

Food for thought. Somebody/anybody can split hairs over the
"precise" numbers, but I grossly estimate that, when they OK'd the
demise of NTSC, there were about 300 million "old" tuners in tv's,
vcr's, etc in the US. Can you imagine why the Fedral Gummint would
render such eqpt (about 2 tuners in every US household) inoperable
for the public airwaves just to re-cycle some frequencies? Makes no
sense whatsoever without the EI's hooks in such alleged gov't. "They
are bought and paid for!".

So you buy a digital adapter.

Me? Not the issue. 100 million having to buy 200 million "cheese-boxes"?
That's the issue (that you will consistently ignore).

At some point you just have to drop the old
technology and take a step ahead. This is not much different than when you
abandoned that 300 baud modem you used to connect to the internet. Or are
you still using it?

I'm now thinking you've been bitten ...

I read every night and encourage everyone to find a good book.
The garbage on the tube/LCD/whatever will rot your sensibilities

Are you into the romance novels?

Aha. You've contracted "Troll's Disease". I'll leave you to your
own devices.

AQ

"The monkey and the baboon was playing 7-up.
The monkey won the money but he scared to pick it up.
The monkey stumbled, mama.
The baboon fell.
The monkey grab the money and he run like hell!"
- from "Dirty Motherfuyer", Roosevelt Sykes, around 1935
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ken Burns ia s worthless ******.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

I am using the same installation of Win98 that goes back to 98. I
have changed computers, cloned it to other hard drives, and done other
changes. It would take me months to rebuild everything.

Everyone I know that uses XP seems to have to reinstall it every year
or two. It gets flakey after awhile. Also, you can not transfer a
hard drive with XP from one computer to another. I tried it, it
failed miserably.

I know 98 like the back of my hand, and I keep the installation clean
of unwanted and old software that is removed, both the files and the
registry entries.

I actually could run XP on this computer. I have it installed on
another hard drive. All I have to do is swap drives. I gave it a
shot, and everytime I actually tried to make use of it, I hated it.
It was slow on this 1000mhz PIII too, but it did run. Thats where I
learned that it cant be transferred to another computer because I also
have a 700mhz PIII and since I did not plan ot use it often, I moved
the hard drive to that computer and it failed. Yeah, I could have
reinstalled, but why bother when I dont like it.

I do agree that 98 can crash at times, and take down the whole thing.
But it rarely happens to me. I use many more than one app at a time.
Right now I have Agent, Firefox, IE, Eudora, and Paint shop pro
loaded. I'd rather deal with an occasional crash than to have to
rebuild my whole setup every year or two.

I have not tried Vista, and really dont care to.

Regarding your restoration project, the govt will be giving out two
$40 coupons for converters to any household that receives ONLY via
antenna, ie they do not have cable, sat, etc. That should drop the
net cost to less that $30 bucks or so for a converter. Yeah, it
ain't free, but it seems it's not such a bad compromise either.

Yep, I am aware of that. Right now they are selling them on ebay for
$100 and more. If they do drop to $30 and the coupons are $40 I guess
they would be free, but I have a feeling they will stay around $80 or
more, which means we will have to dish out $40 or more. I think the
govt. should give them for free. After all, they are the ones that
created this mess.

BTW, you said you'd only spend $100 for a TV. How much do you think
it's going to cost to restore that 50's TV? I'm no expert in this
area, but I would think that components beyond the simple stuff like
capacitors, could cost quite a bit. Like what do people do for tubes
these days?

Thats a whole different matter. It's an antique and costs just like
restoring an old car. But I dont have to do it all at once. Actually
I think most tubes will be fine. They dont degrade from sitting.
I'll likely have to replace some of the paper caps., clean the
potentiometers and tuner, and I know the last time I tried it, there
was a high voltage leak. I hope I only need some corona dope, and of
course dust removal from the whole thing. Some tubes are actually
being remanufactured, and there are several sellers online that sell
the old ones. I still have a tube tester which I bought second hand
around 40 years ago. I used to work a lot on the old tube stuff when
I was young. It's actually much easier to work on than the modern
stuff, just a little more dangerous if you screw up and touch the
wrong thing. Of course I learned the hard way when I was younger what
NOT to touch.