Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ceiling Fan Direction

Does it *really* matter? Either you're pushing air down the center of
the room and causing it to rise up the walls, or you're pulling air up
the center of the room and causing it to fall down the walls.

Besides, I can't reach the direction switch on the one in my living
room. I have a 5' ladder and a 14' ceiling.

:-(

Thanks!

-ph
Posted to alt.home.repair

phaeton wrote:
Does it *really* matter? Either you're pushing air down the center of
the room and causing it to rise up the walls, or you're pulling air up
the center of the room and causing it to fall down the walls.

Besides, I can't reach the direction switch on the one in my living
room. I have a 5' ladder and a 14' ceiling.

:-(

Thanks!

-ph

Hi,
Yes, it matters. Law of physics. Some fans are remote controlled.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
phaeton wrote:

Does it *really* matter? Either you're pushing air down the center of
the room and causing it to rise up the walls, or you're pulling air up
the center of the room and causing it to fall down the walls.

Besides, I can't reach the direction switch on the one in my living
room. I have a 5' ladder and a 14' ceiling.

:-(

Thanks!

-ph

nah, it doesn't matter. some people like to feel the breeze in the
summer and not feel it in the winter, but either way will circulate the
air just fine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"phaeton" wrote in message

Does it *really* matter? Either you're pushing air down the center of the
room and causing it to rise up the walls, or you're pulling air up the
center of the room and causing it to fall down the walls.

Besides, I can't reach the direction switch on the one in my living room.
I have a 5' ladder and a 14' ceiling.

:-(

Thanks!

-ph- Hide quoted text -

I only run mine in the summer, so I have them set in down direction
too. That is the way you definitely want them set in the summer, as
it gives a direct breeze. In winter, the theory is that you save
energy by moving the heated air at the ceiling down along the side
walls. However, I've never seen any real techinical analysis that
says it amount to anything significant, or even that it's a positive
effect. In fact, I think by moving the air you could just be
accelerating the heat loss.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , phaeton wrote:
Does it *really* matter? Either you're pushing air down the center of
the room and causing it to rise up the walls, or you're pulling air up
the center of the room and causing it to fall down the walls.

Besides, I can't reach the direction switch on the one in my living
room. I have a 5' ladder and a 14' ceiling.

Blowing down will make people feel cooler -- good in summer.

In the winter, you probably want it blowing upwards -- but
maybe you don't need to run it at all during winter. And it
don't matter which way it's blowing if it ain't blowin'.

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 06 Nov 2007 21:51:33 -0600, phaeton
wrote:

Does it *really* matter? Either you're pushing air down the center of
the room and causing it to rise up the walls, or you're pulling air up
the center of the room and causing it to fall down the walls.

Besides, I can't reach the direction switch on the one in my living
room. I have a 5' ladder and a 14' ceiling.

:-(

Thanks!

-ph

Blowing down feels cooler on the skin in the summer. Blowing up
circulates the air without a draft in the winter. If you or anyone
else in the room can't feel a difference, then it doesn't matter.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Does it *really* matter? Either you're pushing air down the center of
the room and causing it to rise up the walls, or you're pulling air up
the center of the room and causing it to fall down the walls.

Besides, I can't reach the direction switch on the one in my living
room. I have a 5' ladder and a 14' ceiling.

:-(

Thanks!

-ph

A difference which makes no difference is no difference. If you can't
tell don't worry about it.

BTW, thinking of ladders, I recently saw a neighbor using a chain saw
on a tree, while standing near the top pf a wobbly 16-foot ladder.
That looked a lot scarier than any of the Halloween stuff.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

school classes." -- Ted Kennedy
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , LouB
wrote:

Malcolm Hoar wrote:
In article , phaeton
wrote:
Does it *really* matter? Either you're pushing air down the center of
the room and causing it to rise up the walls, or you're pulling air up
the center of the room and causing it to fall down the walls.

Besides, I can't reach the direction switch on the one in my living
room. I have a 5' ladder and a 14' ceiling.

Blowing down will make people feel cooler -- good in summer.

In the winter, you probably want it blowing upwards -- but
maybe you don't need to run it at all during winter. And it
don't matter which way it's blowing if it ain't blowin'.

LOL!!!

Hell, I want some circulation in the winter with eight foot ceilings,
and the OP has 14'. Heat rises.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:
In article , LouB
wrote:

Malcolm Hoar wrote:

In article , phaeton
wrote:

Does it *really* matter? Either you're pushing air down the center of
the room and causing it to rise up the walls, or you're pulling air up
the center of the room and causing it to fall down the walls.

Besides, I can't reach the direction switch on the one in my living
room. I have a 5' ladder and a 14' ceiling.

Blowing down will make people feel cooler -- good in summer.

In the winter, you probably want it blowing upwards -- but
maybe you don't need to run it at all during winter. And it
don't matter which way it's blowing if it ain't blowin'.

LOL!!!

Hell, I want some circulation in the winter with eight foot ceilings,
and the OP has 14'. Heat rises.

Hi,
Furnace fan can do the same.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Does it *really* matter? Either you're pushing air down the center of
the room and causing it to rise up the walls, or you're pulling air up
the center of the room and causing it to fall down the walls.

Besides, I can't reach the direction switch on the one in my living
room. I have a 5' ladder and a 14' ceiling.

:-(

Thanks!

-ph

A difference which makes no difference is no difference. If you can't
tell don't worry about it.

BTW, thinking of ladders, I recently saw a neighbor using a chain saw
on a tree, while standing near the top pf a wobbly 16-foot ladder.
That looked a lot scarier than any of the Halloween stuff.

Mark Lloydhttp://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

school classes." -- Ted Kennedy

And speaking of chain saws and trees, one of the scariest injuries I
ever saw when working in the ER was the hunter who tried to climb into
his tree stand with a running chain saw. I have no idea what was so
urgent that he couldn't wait to start the saw until he got up
there....

Jo Ann