Posted to alt.home.repair

Default balance a washer

Mark Corbelli wrote:
My washing machine has developed a problem in the spin cycle that even if
it's empty it jerks around as if it's overloaded with everything to one
side. Is there a trick to re-balancing these?

It's proably not a "balance" issue, there isn't much to get out of balance.

There could be a centering spring broken.

With the washer off, try pushing the basket front to back and side to side.

If it doesn't return towards center evenly from all directions, start
looking for a broken spring.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

My washing machine has developed a problem in the spin cycle that even if
it's empty it jerks around as if it's overloaded with everything to one
side. Is there a trick to re-balancing these?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mark Corbelli" wrote in message
newsl2Yi.20006$Rg1.2191@trnddc05...
My washing machine has developed a problem in the spin cycle that even if
it's empty it jerks around as if it's overloaded with everything to one
side. Is there a trick to re-balancing these?

the legs are adjustable, usually takes a large wrench and laying flat on the
floor with a flash light. not really a trick though.

use a level.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Jeff Wisnia wrote:
Mark Corbelli wrote:
My washing machine has developed a problem in the spin cycle that even
if it's empty it jerks around as if it's overloaded with everything to
one side. Is there a trick to re-balancing these?

It's proably not a "balance" issue, there isn't much to get out of balance.

There could be a centering spring broken.

With the washer off, try pushing the basket front to back and side to side.

If it doesn't return towards center evenly from all directions, start
looking for a broken spring.

Do any still use the old "weight on a cable" system? They were prone to
breaking...

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

DerbyDad03 wrote:
"weight on a cable"

I was weighting on a cable once. It never came in. ...

Groan...that's as bad as I've been known to do...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 6, 1:58 pm, dpb wrote:
Jeff Wisnia wrote:
Mark Corbelli wrote:
My washing machine has developed a problem in the spin cycle that even
if it's empty it jerks around as if it's overloaded with everything to
one side. Is there a trick to re-balancing these?

It's proably not a "balance" issue, there isn't much to get out of balance.

There could be a centering spring broken.

With the washer off, try pushing the basket front to back and side to side.

If it doesn't return towards center evenly from all directions, start
looking for a broken spring.

Do any still use the old "weight on a cable" system? They were prone to
breaking...

--

"weight on a cable"

I was weighting on a cable once. It never came in. I guess I should
reorder.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mark Corbelli" wrote in message
newsl2Yi.20006$Rg1.2191@trnddc05...
My washing machine has developed a problem in the spin cycle that even if it's
empty it jerks around as if it's overloaded with everything to one side. Is
there a trick to re-balancing these?

Make sure it is level. Check the inside (usually through the back) for broken,
worn or missing springs or friction devices/pads. It's possible that some
clothing item got stuck under the agitator or under the washing tub.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
1) See if it's level
2) sometimes the rubber suports come undone under the basket. I've seen
this
once. Had to tip the washing machine back, and reach under to put it back
together. It had been run overloaded, which caused the problem.

Sometimes this is intentional. Young lovers will intentionally put in a
rug, then wait for the spin cycle. The girl sits on top of the washer

Need I say more?

I'd give it a good hosing down, too.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 7, 12:10 pm, "SteveB" wrote:
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message

1) See if it's level
2) sometimes the rubber suports come undone under the basket. I've seen
this
once. Had to tip the washing machine back, and reach under to put it back
together. It had been run overloaded, which caused the problem.

Sometimes this is intentional. Young lovers will intentionally put in a
rug, then wait for the spin cycle. The girl sits on top of the washer

Need I say more?

I'd give it a good hosing down, too.

Steve

Young lovers

I wasn't aware that there was an age limit to this practice.