Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What is best insulation material?

The wildfires in Southern California left my house standing but the attic
insulation was covered with soot and ashes.

They pulled out the fiberglass-batten insulation that was between the 2x6
rafters. I need to put in new insulation. This is a single story ranch,
about 3200 sqft. My old insulation is R-19, but Code requires an upgrade to
R-22 min.

What is the state of the art with regard to insulation? Fiberglass in rolls
or battens, or cellulose, blown in, or what?? I heard that cellulose has a
tendency to pack down and lose its value over the years??

Thanks for all input.

--
Walter
www.rationality.net

Posted to alt.home.repair

According to Walter R. :

What is the state of the art with regard to insulation? Fiberglass in rolls
or battens, or cellulose, blown in, or what?? I heard that cellulose has a
tendency to pack down and lose its value over the years??

State of the art is blown foam. Very expensive tho.

Cellulose still has a tendancy to pack down, and does bad things
if it gets wet. Fiberglass much less so. Rockwool (eg: Roxul)
essentially doesn't at all, and costs about the same as fiberglass
but availability is spotty in the US. It's also a lot more fire
resistant than either cellulose or fiberglass.
--
Chris Lewis,

Posted to alt.home.repair

Chris Lewis wrote:
According to Walter R. :

What is the state of the art with regard to insulation? Fiberglass in rolls
or battens, or cellulose, blown in, or what?? I heard that cellulose has a
tendency to pack down and lose its value over the years??

State of the art is blown foam. Very expensive tho.

Also known as "spray foam". It goes on liquid, then expands and
hardens. Also doubles as vapour barrier and blocks airflow.

Cellulose still has a tendancy to pack down, and does bad things
if it gets wet. Fiberglass much less so. Rockwool (eg: Roxul)
essentially doesn't at all, and costs about the same as fiberglass
but availability is spotty in the US. It's also a lot more fire
resistant than either cellulose or fiberglass.

Roxul is great (used it in my utility room for noise control), but
around here in Canada it commands a 20-30% premium over fiberglass
batts, and more than that over blown-in fiberglass.

When I did my garage attic, it was cheaper to contract out for blown-in
fiberglass than to buy the fiberglass batts and do the labour myself.

Chris
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 6 Nov 2007 10:09:43 -0800, "Walter R."
wrote:

The wildfires in Southern California left my house standing but the attic
insulation was covered with soot and ashes.

They pulled out the fiberglass-batten insulation that was between the 2x6
rafters. I need to put in new insulation. This is a single story ranch,
about 3200 sqft. My old insulation is R-19, but Code requires an upgrade to
R-22 min.

What is the state of the art with regard to insulation? Fiberglass in rolls
or battens, or cellulose, blown in, or what?? I heard that cellulose has a
tendency to pack down and lose its value over the years??

Thanks for all input.

--
Walter
www.rationality.net
-

Especially in California you are restricted to what you can use. The
best insulator is a vacuum. I prefer the non-itch fiberglass batts.
In S.CA, you don't need much insulation, but I'd get the highest
R-value I could find unless I plan to move soon.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

R-value I could find unless I plan to move soon.- Hide quoted text -

closed cell foam is over R6 per inch, pricey but effective

cuts noise transmission and air infiltration, self vapor barrier. all
positives except price

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

positives except price- Hide quoted text -

5.5" of fiberglass seems apropriate for your area for fire and Zone,
foam and celulose burns quicker. What is your Zone,

Posted to alt.home.repair

ups.com...
wrote:

[...]

Of course, his house would have burned down with foam insulation, but no problem

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

Blown in, stabilized cellulose is the only way to do an attic. It's cheap,
fire retardant, and insulates better than fiberglass.

check out www.centralfiber.com for more info on just one brand.

"Walter R." wrote in message
The wildfires in Southern California left my house standing but the attic
insulation was covered with soot and ashes.

They pulled out the fiberglass-batten insulation that was between the 2x6
rafters. I need to put in new insulation. This is a single story ranch,
about 3200 sqft. My old insulation is R-19, but Code requires an upgrade
to R-22 min.

What is the state of the art with regard to insulation? Fiberglass in
rolls or battens, or cellulose, blown in, or what?? I heard that cellulose
has a tendency to pack down and lose its value over the years??

Thanks for all input.

--
Walter
www.rationality.net
-

Posted to alt.home.repair

Good cellulose insulation won't burn at all.

steve

"ransley" wrote in message
ups.com...
5.5" of fiberglass seems apropriate for your area for fire and Zone,

foam and celulose burns quicker. What is your Zone,

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve Barker" wrote in message
Blown in, stabilized cellulose is the only way to do an attic. It's cheap,
fire retardant, and insulates better than fiberglass.

Hogwash.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 7, 10:27 am, "Bob F" wrote:
"Steve Barker" wrote in message

Blown in, stabilized cellulose is the only way to do an attic. It's cheap,
fire retardant, and insulates better than fiberglass.

Hogwash.

Cellulose is paper, it degrades to dust, a roof leak ruins it, it
settles alot.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 6, 10:09 am, "Walter R." wrote:
[...]

Why? I doubt that the soot or ashes reduced the insulation
effectiveness by much

seems like a scam by insulation installers to revenue the insurance
companies......if the soot or ashes were a problem, they could easily
be vacuumed off rather than trashing the existing insulation

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

BobK207 wrote:
On Nov 6, 10:09 am, "Walter R." wrote:
The wildfires in Southern California left my house standing but the attic
insulation was covered with soot and ashes.

They pulled out the fiberglass-batten insulation that was between the 2x6
rafters. ...

Why? I doubt that the soot or ashes reduced the insulation
effectiveness by much

Odor abatement would be my guess...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve Barker wrote:
Good cellulose insulation won't burn at all.

It only doesn't burn because it's been treated with flame retardants.

From what I've read, there are some doubts as to the durability of the
flame retardants, and no test exists to verify how long they last.

Chris

Posted to alt.home.repair

1. I've just let out a few cubic yards of it that were put in in 1958. None
was degraded.
2. Why would you let your roof leak?
3. stabilized cellulose does not settle.

you people are only hurting yourselves by keeping your head in the sand.
I'll keep using the cellulose, spend less money, have better insulation.

thanks for your input

steve

"ransley" wrote in message
ups.com...

Cellulose is paper, it degrades to dust, a roof leak ruins it, it
settles alot.

Posted to alt.home.repair

According to Steve Barker :
Why would they go away?

Evaporation, sublimation, etc. etc. etc.

They are only retardants. They generally _aren't_ fire proofing.
--
Chris Lewis,

Posted to alt.home.repair

OOOOOOOOOOOOhhhhh. well if you took that sentence literally, then i
understand the hogwash statement. Obviously there are other ways. I guess
i should have said 'the best way to do an attic".

thanks for the english lesson.

"Bob F" wrote in message
. ..
'Blown in, stabilized cellulose is the only way to do an attic."

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

According to Steve Barker :
Well at least it doesn't burn like fiberglass, and support combustion in a
big way like the foam does.

Except for the binders, fiberglass can't burn - silica isn't
combustable, and the amount of binder is relatively small.
Whereas, depending on the cellulose formulation, virtually _all_
of it will burn sooner or later.
--
Chris Lewis,

Posted to alt.home.repair

i guess burn was the wrong word. it melts away and then the fire (heat) can
get to the next level or structural member. You can melt fiberglass
insulation away with a match. Just as you can melt steel wool away with a
match.

"Chris Lewis" wrote in message
According to Steve Barker :
Well at least it doesn't burn like fiberglass, and support combustion in
big way like the foam does.

Except for the binders, fiberglass can't burn - silica isn't
combustable, and the amount of binder is relatively small.
Whereas, depending on the cellulose formulation, virtually _all_
of it will burn sooner or later.
--
Chris Lewis,

Posted to alt.home.repair

You obviously have your own preferences. I have mine. I prefer fiberglass batts
because they are easy to work around. Remove batt - do work - replace batt.
Plus, they don't have nearly the dust issues. And they stay where you put them.

Bob

"Steve Barker" wrote in message
OOOOOOOOOOOOhhhhh. well if you took that sentence literally, then i
understand the hogwash statement. Obviously there are other ways. I guess i
should have said 'the best way to do an attic".

thanks for the english lesson.

. ..