Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Foundation repair

I'm going through a bit of a nightmare with the house I bought. I
found out during the inspection that a foundation repair had occurred
a few months earlier. The inspection suggested it might not be
holding and there seems to be movement based on interior and exterior
cracking. The owner provided a copy of the transferable warranty that
was stamped by a professional engineer, so we proceeded to buy it.
When we moved in, we had the company come out and inspect it and they
said it was purely cosmetic. Not sure (since I have never dealt with
this type of stuff before) if that was true or not, a builder friend
sent the company he uses out to take a look for us. That guy said
that if it was his repair, he would consider the cracking a warranty
issue, so now I don't know what to think. He asks to look at my
installation report, and I don't have one, only the warranty.

So I contact the previous owner and he said he never got one. So I
contact the original company and asked for it, and spent several
months in a cat and mouse game where he never responded directly to my
request, then finally said no, that he had an agreement with the
original owner not to release that information. I know that is a load
of BS, so I contact the original owner who calls the company on my
behalf and requests the installation report. The company gets all in
a huff, but finally says they will give it to me. 10 months later I
still haven't received it.

Now I have foundation issues (likely due to the drought) in an
adjacent area of the house. I'm certainly not dealing with this
company again, but wouldn't it be nice for the new company to know
where the existing piers are? So I'm making another attempt to get
the installation report.

My question is, what is typical in the industry? The new company says
they always give the customer the installation report when they are
done. In other people's experiences, has the company that performed
your repairs given you a report on what was installed where? Is there
a legitimate excuse for them to be hiding this information from us?

Thanks for any insight.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 6, 9:22 am, wrote:
[...]

Get a copy of the plans or permits from the town?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 6, 10:59 am, RayV wrote:
On Nov 6, 9:22 am, wrote:

[...]

I did pull up the permits, but unfortunately they were not detailed at
all and provided no help. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Get a lawyer to send a demand letter to the original company.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 6 Nov 2007 15:56:02 -0600, "HeyBub"

[...]

Or just point a loaded gun at their head. People will suddenly
respond they are held at gunpoint (for some strange reason).
Your local NRA office should know where to get a gun that "talks".

Dick

foundation repair [email protected] Home Repair 0 November 26th 05 02:00 PM
Foundation repair help PR man Home Repair 5 September 28th 05 03:08 PM
Foundation repair Dan_Musicant Home Repair 4 September 5th 05 03:28 AM
foundation repair query Home Repair 8 August 4th 05 10:02 PM
Foundation repair Distancevector Home Repair 2 October 14th 04 10:17 PM