DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Chimney liner for oil fired boiler (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/220114-chimney-liner-oil-fired-boiler.html)

[email protected] November 6th 07 05:03 AM

Chimney liner for oil fired boiler

Dear Readers,

I've a Burnham MPO boiler. I called Burnham, whose technicians
suggest that I take the most conservative approach and line my
existing exterior-wall, clay-lined brick chimney with a stainless
liner to minimize flue condensation.

Should this liner necessarily be insulated as well? Or is the dead
airspace (although somewhat cold due to exterior wall) in the chimney
a sufficient buffer? I know the most conservative answer is to
insulate the liner too, but your experiences would be appreciated as
this insulation would be yet another expense on top of the liner.

Thank you very much for your responses.
-Anthony

Don Ocean November 6th 07 10:08 AM

wrote:
Dear Readers,

I've a Burnham MPO boiler. I called Burnham, whose technicians
suggest that I take the most conservative approach and line my
existing exterior-wall, clay-lined brick chimney with a stainless
liner to minimize flue condensation.

Should this liner necessarily be insulated as well? Or is the dead
airspace (although somewhat cold due to exterior wall) in the chimney
a sufficient buffer? I know the most conservative answer is to
insulate the liner too, but your experiences would be appreciated as
this insulation would be yet another expense on top of the liner.

Thank you very much for your responses.
-Anthony

Heh! Heh! Size does matter... ;-)

ransley November 6th 07 01:37 PM

On Nov 6, 4:08 am, Don Ocean wrote:
wrote:
Dear Readers,

I've a Burnham MPO boiler. I called Burnham, whose technicians
suggest that I take the most conservative approach and line my
existing exterior-wall, clay-lined brick chimney with a stainless
liner to minimize flue condensation.

Should this liner necessarily be insulated as well? Or is the dead
airspace (although somewhat cold due to exterior wall) in the chimney
a sufficient buffer? I know the most conservative answer is to
insulate the liner too, but your experiences would be appreciated as
this insulation would be yet another expense on top of the liner.

Thank you very much for your responses.
-Anthony

Heh! Heh! Size does matter... ;-)

If it heats water its a boiler, if it heats air its a furnace, so you
have a boiler from your next post. If its a condensing unit you should
be able to vent through a wall, I dont understand why you need to line
a clay lined chimney unless its falling apart, clay is durable.

Zyp November 6th 07 05:15 PM

wrote:
Dear Readers,

I've a Burnham MPO boiler. I called Burnham, whose technicians
suggest that I take the most conservative approach and line my
existing exterior-wall, clay-lined brick chimney with a stainless
liner to minimize flue condensation.

Should this liner necessarily be insulated as well? Or is the dead
airspace (although somewhat cold due to exterior wall) in the chimney
a sufficient buffer? I know the most conservative answer is to
insulate the liner too, but your experiences would be appreciated as
this insulation would be yet another expense on top of the liner.

Thank you very much for your responses.
-Anthony

Anthony;

Check with the Burnham Tech's again, I believe they intemnd for you to use a
double wall stainless flue pipe in the chimney opening. Insulation not
needed.

--
Zyp

Don Ocean November 7th 07 06:04 AM

wrote:
[...]

I say again.. Size does matter. That chimney must be resized to fit the
venting requirements. A liner is one way to downsize for modern
equipment needs. Check your local building authority if you don't
have a code book.

[email protected] November 7th 07 03:26 PM

Chimney liner for oil fired boiler

Check with the Burnham Tech's again, I believe they intemnd for you to use a
double wall stainless flue pipe in the chimney opening. Insulation not
needed.

Just called them again. They expect stack temperatures of below
350F. Considering it's an exterior wall chimney and (I suggested I
may also have a fresh air duct installed in the future), they once
again recommend a stainless liner to prevent condensation from
damaging the existing chimney. As they're not in the liner industry,
they did not want to officially comment on the specific type, although
the individual I spoke with said he's familiar with the single wall
variety.

The double wall stainless liners I'm familiar with would seem like
overkill: they are insulated in between layers and are typically the
type that can be in close proximity to combustibles, like those
metalbestos things. And I do not want to switch to a power vent
situation.

Any 3-pass boiler (Buderus, Burnham MPO, etc) experts out there
familiar with or observe a similar stainless chimney liner
installation??

Noon-Air November 7th 07 05:24 PM

Chimney liner for oil fired boiler

wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

What does the installation manual say about it??
What do your local codes require??
What did the local building inspector say about it??
What did your insurance company say about it??

We are not here to do your homework for you.

[email protected] November 7th 07 06:25 PM

Chimney liner for oil fired boiler

Any 3-pass boiler (Buderus, Burnham MPO, etc) experts out there
familiar with or observe a similar stainless chimney liner
installation??

What does the installation manual say about it??
What do your local codes require??
What did the local building inspector say about it??
What did your insurance company say about it??

We are not here to do your homework for you.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for the suggestions.
1. Installation manual says use a liner "if condensation is
observed." Per my earlier post, I called the manufacturer and didn't
get too much advice on what type as it's not their product.
2. I didn't think to check the code! Chapt 8 of Mechanical Code of NY
says to use liner that will resist condensate, and is in accordance
with NFPA31. I'll find NFPA31 and see what it says. Hopefully will
provide guidance on insulated vs. non-insulated.
3. Local building inspector cannot (legally) suggest anything beyond
the building code, so I'll need that NFPA31.
4. I didn't check insurance company. Not sure if they'll even
understand what I'm saying. I'll try.

I have two additional thoughts:
1. if flue gas is cooled too much within liner inside chimney, it may
not create sufficient draft up the 25ft tall, exterior wall chimney.
Is there a way I can estimate if I'll have sufficient draft? Reference
would be appreciated.
2. if flue gas is cooled too much and condensation occurs within the
liner, is it such a big deal? It would just drip down, through the
bottom tee, and into the cleanout chamber. In other words, the system
would work as expected, no?

In the meanwhile, any other suggestions or experience is appreciated.

Zyp November 8th 07 08:52 PM

wrote:
[...]

So it doesn't say in the maual to use a flu chimney Type B vent? It doesn't
give you a GAMA guide? Interesting.

--
Zyp

Noon-Air November 12th 07 12:23 AM

"Zyp" wrote in message
[...]

Whadya want from E-Bay??? You expect to ge the install manuals too? sheesh.