Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Where to get outdated floor tile

Does anyone know of any company that specializes in out dated or out
of manufacture floor tile? It never fails, one tile goes bad and the
whole floor has to be replaced because there are no longer replacement
tiles. There must be some companies that either store and sell older
tiles, or actually re-manufacture them. I did some looking on the web
and did not find anything.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
Does anyone know of any company that specializes in out dated or out
of manufacture floor tile? It never fails, one tile goes bad and the
whole floor has to be replaced because there are no longer replacement
tiles. There must be some companies that either store and sell older
tiles, or actually re-manufacture them. I did some looking on the web
and did not find anything.

ceramic or vinyl?

doesn't exist to my knowledge. tiles are made in batches and the batches
usually vary anyway. this is true with vinyl tile too but to a lesser extent

i worked at a tile store for a very short period and we were hit up with
this problem a lot. tiles are heavy and take up a lot of inventory space.
nobody is going to keep an outdated tile on hand for when one of your tile
breaks or tears unless you pick a very generic tile.

thats why you buy extra and leave them in the shed

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

jthread wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message ...
jthread wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message ...
wrote:
Does anyone know of any company that specializes in out dated or out
of manufacture floor tile? It never fails, one tile goes bad and the
whole floor has to be replaced because there are no longer replacement
tiles. There must be some companies that either store and sell older
tiles, or actually re-manufacture them. I did some looking on the web
and did not find anything.
Only source I know of are the restoration/renovation places and the
outfits that specialize in closeouts, discontinued merchandise, etc.

In general, if there were no extras saved and it's not something generic
enough to match, your choice is as close a match as you can find or a
deliberately contrasting replacement so it looks like accent.

I suppose if it were valuable enough, one could approach one of the
custom tile artisans, but would be unlikely they could/would want to do
that type of work rather than their normal.

that would cost so much you may as well do the whole floor over.

Isn't that the point of "if it were valuable _ENOUGH_" ????

--

i just couldn't see it. sorry could you imagine the setup cost? for one
tile? not really very realistic.

do you have experience with this approach? i worked at color tile and i have
never heard of such a thing.

Well, yes, I do...I happen to have a cousin who did custom tile for
quite a while as an artistic sideline (along w/ the stained glass,
etc.). The time is in color matching, etc., they've already got the
setup for making tiles, so it depends on what they're trying to match.
It certainly is order of magnitude over individual piecework tile, but
could still be less than the whole floor. Then, of course, there's the
convenience factor besides simply the cost. You're not likely to do it
for 29-cent/ea box-store tile; no.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote in message ...
jthread wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message ...
jthread wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message ...
wrote:
[...]

where do you buy 29 cent floor tile?

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

jthread wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message ...
jthread wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message ...
jthread wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message ...
wrote:
[...]

That was a metaphor for inexpensive...

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

jthread wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message ...
jthread wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message ...
jthread wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message ...
jthread wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message ...
wrote:
[...]

kind of like: find a guy who specializes in making one custom tile cheaply?
is that one of your metaphors too?

plonk...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote in message ...
jthread wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message ...
jthread wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message ...
jthread wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message ...
jthread wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message ...
wrote:
[...]

probably a good idea

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

When you replace the floor ALWAYS keep some spare for repairs. This applies
to any kind of finishing material, wood, carpet, wallpaper even shingles.
When you buy a tract house from a builder normally you get none of the
above, but if you arrange for installation of anything in the house make
sure you get extras. It will save you money in the long run.

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
wrote:

Does anyone know of any company that specializes in out dated or out
of manufacture floor tile? It never fails, one tile goes bad and the
whole floor has to be replaced because there are no longer replacement
tiles. There must be some companies that either store and sell older
tiles, or actually re-manufacture them. I did some looking on the web
and did not find anything.

Flooring changes every year, if not every season. That's why people buy
more than they need and put some in the shed. You'd have to be damn
lucky to stumble across some that matches what you have.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"jthread" wrote in message

wrote in message
[...]

Tile stores won't even guarantee color if you re-order 1 month later. Tile
batches vary.

Again - that's why you buy a few extra tiles.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob F" wrote in message
. ..

"jthread" wrote in message

wrote in message
[...]

if you have a large order you are supposed to mix the tiles up to blend in
the difference in lots.