Posted to alt.home.repair

Default cost of running an exhaust fan 24/7?

I have a bathroom exhaust fan I installed in the basement to vent out
the cat litter smell. I let this fan run 24/7. I'm debating if I
should put it on a timer to only run a few hours a day. My question
is, how much is it probably costing me a year in electricity to run
the fan all day and all night as I have been? I understand rates vary
by area, I'm just looking for a ballpark idea.
Posted to alt.home.repair

HamNCheese wrote:
I have a bathroom exhaust fan I installed in the basement to vent out
the cat litter smell. I let this fan run 24/7. I'm debating if I
should put it on a timer to only run a few hours a day. My question
is, how much is it probably costing me a year in electricity to run
the fan all day and all night as I have been? I understand rates vary
by area, I'm just looking for a ballpark idea.

Hi,
How much is your electricity where you are? Here in Calgary, Alberta
I pay 7 cents per KWh. Fan may draw 1.0 amp or so whcih leads to ~100W
You do the rest of math. Also that'll suck out some warm air from your
house which may cause more heater run.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I don't think the cost of running the
fan is the issue. It is, how much heat
you are loosing due to exhausting 60 -
100 or more CFM of air. My plan
for the cat box is a small 2 or 3" fan
running 24/7. I've already proved that
it works in the confined space of a
motorhome. I built an enclosure under
one of the kitchen table bench seats.
The interior of the cat potty box is
covered with plastic laminate for easy
cleaning. The motorhome has an
outside hatch which we use for cleaning
the litter pan. There is a small 2"
12 volt fan in this hatch, which runs
24/7 when we are using the motorhome.
There is no smell, even when sitting at
the kitchen table. My plan for home
is to put a 3" (dryer type) hose on the
enclosed litter box. This hose will
connect to a small fan mounted to a wood
panel in the window. This will
run 24/7, but because the fan is fairly
low CFM, shouldn't remove too much
heat (or coolth in the summer).

HamNCheese wrote:
I have a bathroom exhaust fan I installed in the basement to vent out
the cat litter smell. I let this fan run 24/7. I'm debating if I
should put it on a timer to only run a few hours a day. My question
is, how much is it probably costing me a year in electricity to run
the fan all day and all night as I have been? I understand rates vary
by area, I'm just looking for a ballpark idea.

Posted to alt.home.repair

How much is your electricity where you are? Here in Calgary, Alberta
I pay 7 cents per KWh. Fan may draw 1.0 amp or so whcih leads to ~100W
You do the rest of math. Also that'll suck out some warm air from your
house which may cause more heater run.

I live in Los Angeles, so heat isn't too much of an issue. The
basement where the fan is isn't even heated.
Posted to alt.home.repair

HamNCheese wrote:

I have a bathroom exhaust fan I installed in the basement to vent out
the cat litter smell. I let this fan run 24/7. I'm debating if I
should put it on a timer to only run a few hours a day. My question
is, how much is it probably costing me a year in electricity to run
the fan all day and all night as I have been?

An N-watt thing running 24/7 costs about $N/year at 10 cents/kWh,
eg $20/year for a 20 watt fan, but exhausting C cfm of house air adds
24hxCxDD Btu/year to your heating and cooling bills in a DD degree-day
climate, eg 24x60(4954+1101) = 8.7 million Btu/year for a 60 cfm fan
in Phila, with 4954 heating and 1101 cooling degree days per year
(with a 65 F base temp), about 100 gallons of oil or 100 therms of gas
or $256, with electric resistance heat.

Nick

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 21:12:25 -0800, HamNCheese
wrote:

I have a bathroom exhaust fan I installed in the basement to vent out
the cat litter smell. I let this fan run 24/7. I'm debating if I
should put it on a timer to only run a few hours a day. My question
is, how much is it probably costing me a year in electricity to run
the fan all day and all night as I have been? I understand rates vary
by area, I'm just looking for a ballpark idea.

You do your own figures. What is the wattage of the fan? Multiply by
24 (hours). So if the fan uses 100W, thats 2.4 KW per day. Howw much
is a KW of electric (look on your bill). Lets say that it's 10 cents
per KW. Then it's costing you 24 cents per day. Multiply 24 cents
times 365 (days per year). That's your answer. In this example it
would cost $87.60 per year. Same as leaving a 100W lightbulb on 24/7
for a year. But like others said, you have to figure in the amount of
heat or cooling loss, replacement fans, etc. You might be better off
looking into a better litter box and litter. You might also check
into wind drawn turbines on your roof, and hose them to the location
of the cat box. They turn without electric and are pretty efficient
when there is at least some wind. You could supplement an electric
fan on days when there is no wind.

Of course you have to modify the figures I did above to match the
wattage of your fan and cost per KWH of your power.
Posted to alt.home.repair

HamNCheese wrote:
I have a bathroom exhaust fan I installed in the basement to vent out
the cat litter smell. I let this fan run 24/7. I'm debating if I
should put it on a timer to only run a few hours a day. My question
is, how much is it probably costing me a year in electricity to run
the fan all day and all night as I have been? I understand rates vary
by area, I'm just looking for a ballpark idea.

Say 1 amp. 1 amp x 120 volts = 100 watts. 100 watts times 24 hours = 2KWH.

At fifteen cents per KWH = $.30/day.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a bathroom exhaust fan I installed in the basement to vent out
the cat litter smell. I let this fan run 24/7. I'm debating if I
should put it on a timer to only run a few hours a day. My question
is, how much is it probably costing me a year in electricity to run
the fan all day and all night as I have been? I understand rates vary
by area, I'm just looking for a ballpark idea.

That's disgusting! have you ever thought of just cleaning the litter
box on a regular basis you damn slob?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a bathroom exhaust fan I installed in the basement to vent out
the cat litter smell. I let this fan run 24/7. I'm debating if I
should put it on a timer to only run a few hours a day. My question
is, how much is it probably costing me a year in electricity to run
the fan all day and all night as I have been? I understand rates vary
by area, I'm just looking for a ballpark idea.

That's disgusting! have you ever thought of just cleaning the litter
box on a regular basis you damn slob?

You obviously either don't have a cat or
you nose has become accustomed
to litter box smell. You can clean it 3
times a day, and there will still be some
smell. Also, I find that the oder of
some brands of litter to be just as
offensive and the cat smell itself.
Posted to alt.home.repair

The simple answer to your question is:

Roughly 25-30 cents a day for a small fan at typical electric rates.

A large blower in a very expensive electricity area of the country could
cost maybe a dollar a day or so.

Smarty

wrote:

I have a bathroom exhaust fan I installed in the basement to vent out
the cat litter smell. I let this fan run 24/7. I'm debating if I
should put it on a timer to only run a few hours a day. My question
is, how much is it probably costing me a year in electricity to run
the fan all day and all night as I have been? I understand rates vary
by area, I'm just looking for a ballpark idea.

That's disgusting! have you ever thought of just cleaning the litter
box on a regular basis you damn slob?

You obviously either don't have a cat or you nose has become accustomed
to litter box smell. You can clean it 3 times a day, and there will still
be some
smell. Also, I find that the oder of some brands of litter to be just as
offensive and the cat smell itself.

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"observer" wrote in message
HamNCheese wrote:
I have a bathroom exhaust fan I installed in the basement to vent out
the cat litter smell. I let this fan run 24/7. I'm debating if I
should put it on a timer to only run a few hours a day. My question
is, how much is it probably costing me a year in electricity to run
the fan all day and all night as I have been? I understand rates vary
by area, I'm just looking for a ballpark idea.

Clean the cat litter, problem solved. Too expensive because of too many
cats - get rid of the excess cats.

Yes, clean the cat litter daily, plus feed the cat a quality food, then the
litter box won't have such smelly deposits between cleanings.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a bathroom exhaust fan I installed in the basement to vent out
the cat litter smell. I let this fan run 24/7. I'm debating if I
should put it on a timer to only run a few hours a day. My question
is, how much is it probably costing me a year in electricity to run
the fan all day and all night as I have been? I understand rates vary
by area, I'm just looking for a ballpark idea.

That's disgusting! have you ever thought of just cleaning the litter
box on a regular basis you damn slob?

You obviously either don't have a cat or
you nose has become accustomed
to litter box smell. You can clean it 3
times a day, and there will still be some
smell. Also, I find that the oder of
some brands of litter to be just as
offensive and the cat smell itself.

I bought that scented litter ONCE. That stuff is horrid.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"HamNCheese" wrote in message
I have a bathroom exhaust fan I installed in the basement to vent out
the cat litter smell. I let this fan run 24/7. I'm debating if I
should put it on a timer to only run a few hours a day. My question
is, how much is it probably costing me a year in electricity to run
the fan all day and all night as I have been? I understand rates vary
by area, I'm just looking for a ballpark idea.

not sure but a burlap sack and a rock is a lot cheaper.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 16:04:27 +0000, jthread wrote:

"HamNCheese" wrote in message
I have a bathroom exhaust fan I installed in the basement to vent out
the cat litter smell. I let this fan run 24/7. I'm debating if I
should put it on a timer to only run a few hours a day. My question
is, how much is it probably costing me a year in electricity to run
the fan all day and all night as I have been? I understand rates vary
by area, I'm just looking for a ballpark idea.

not sure but a burlap sack and a rock is a lot cheaper.

Hey I missed your post about that heater switch. Did you post a reply as
to a part number?

yeah. but it came back on by itself. I think it's the pressure to the
switch. it does this some times when i change the valves to spa. it will act
like it's not going to start up or like the switch is kicking on and off. it
may be clogged up and the guy that replaced the switch last time didn't
check it. i'm going to check it again today.

http://www.poolcenter.com/parts_heat...rs_telstar.htm

my switch looks just like this one

http://www.lowpricedpoolsupply.com/s...rs-3903bp.html

thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

"HamNCheese" wrote in message
I have a bathroom exhaust fan I installed in the basement to vent out
the cat litter smell. I let this fan run 24/7. I'm debating if I
should put it on a timer to only run a few hours a day. My question
is, how much is it probably costing me a year in electricity to run
the fan all day and all night as I have been? I understand rates vary
by area, I'm just looking for a ballpark idea.

It's not just the cost of running the fan. That air is being exhausted to
the outside, and has to be replaced by other air that must be heated or
cooled to room temperature. So, your HVAC is running more, also.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to jthread, Tonya Riggs wrote:
You are a very sick individual. Seek help!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...-7-263852-.htm