DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Sears Electric Range Beeping Noise - F1 trouble code (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/220003-sears-electric-range-beeping-noise-f1-trouble-code.html)

butch burton November 5th 07 03:34 AM

Sears Electric Range Beeping Noise - F1 trouble code

While visiting an elderly relative, she said her Sears electric range
- 7 YO - 2 years out of warranty, was disconnected because it was
constantly beeping. Asked her if I could look at it. After turning
it on, the loud beeping started and it displayed a F1 error code.

Asked her if she had tried to get it fixed - get this - the repair
guys said a quick and maybe not permanent fix would cost her $150
parts + $100 labor and only be guaranteed for 30 days - a 6 month
guaranteed fix would involve replacing a circuit board at a cost of
$300 plus $100 labor. Oh they said if she bought a new Sears range,
they would cart off the old one for free.

Disassembled the control panel of the range - found the speaker
emitting the beeping noise - cut the wire powering it - put the range
back together and it is functioning perfectly after a week.

Several years ago I had the exact same thing happen to an electric
range of mine - did not call the repair crowd - just snipped the power
to the speaker and no problems - the range is still working today.

So it looks like the range manufacturer's have discovered another way
to get into our wallets - when they try to cheat senior citizens -
makes me angry. Think I will call some Sears repair people and see
what they say when I ask them about the F1 trouble code.

Hope this helps someone facing the same problem.

schmidtd November 17th 10 01:20 PM

Butch wrote:
Disassembled the control panel of the range - found the speaker
emitting the beeping noise - cut the wire powering it - put the range
back together and it is functioning perfectly after a week.

Seems kind of irresponsible to bypass and override (what might be)
safety controls:
http://www.appliancefactoryparts.com...ges.html#Sears
I agree it's ridiculous that it would cost hundreds to replace some
dinky little circuit board, but do you really want an out-of-control
heating element in your kitchen? I'm just sayin'.

The Daring Dufas[_7_] November 17th 10 01:23 PM

On 11/17/2010 7:20 AM, schmidtd wrote:
Butch wrote:
Disassembled the control panel of the range - found the speaker
emitting the beeping noise - cut the wire powering it - put the range
back together and it is functioning perfectly after a week.

Seems kind of irresponsible to bypass and override (what might be)
safety controls:
http://www.appliancefactoryparts.com...ges.html#Sears
I agree it's ridiculous that it would cost hundreds to replace some
dinky little circuit board, but do you really want an out-of-control
heating element in your kitchen? I'm just sayin'.

I've shown a lot of folks how to fix the trouble lights that come
on in their automobile dashboard. Black electrical tape. 8-)

TDD