Posted to alt.home.repair

Default An unusal event at Radio Shack

I try to aviod Radio Shack unless I am desparate.
So I was desparate and went there on Friday. When
I got home the device did not work (why am I surprised?)

So I returned it on Saturday and explained the situation
to a different clerk. He actually listened to me. Not
only that he found the correct device and tested it for
me. Maybe hell has frozen over,

Dick
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dick Adams wrote:
I try to aviod Radio Shack unless I am desparate.
So I was desparate and went there on Friday. When
I got home the device did not work (why am I surprised?)

So I returned it on Saturday and explained the situation
to a different clerk. He actually listened to me. Not
only that he found the correct device and tested it for
me. Maybe hell has frozen over,

Dick

Someone wins the lottery every so often!
Posted to alt.home.repair
DA DA is offline

DA had written this in response to
http://thestuccocompany.com/maintena...ck-263670-.htm
:
Dick Adams wrote:

I try to aviod Radio Shack unless I am desparate.
So I was desparate and went there on Friday. When
I got home the device did not work (why am I surprised?)

So I returned it on Saturday and explained the situation
to a different clerk. He actually listened to me. Not
only that he found the correct device and tested it for
me. Maybe hell has frozen over,

Dick

Sure there is no point to go there for an advice. You've got to know what
you are looking for when you walk into a RS. However, when was the last
time you could get a valuable advice at any other large retail chain
store? Those stores have pretty much become free showrooms for other
online retailers. I am always guilty of checking the stuff out at Best
Buy/ Comp USA and then actually buying it at tigerdirect.com . I guess, as
their earnings drop, they loose people that can actually provide any
advise at all. Something's gotta change in the world of electronics
retail...

\//.
-------------------------------------

Delivered via http://thestuccocompany.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair

Years ago, while in New York on business, I needed a cable. RS was handy so
I went in and picked out the cable, then gave the company credit card.

When the clerk asked for a phone number, I replied that it was a business
credit card, I was from out of state, and I just wanted to buy the cable and
get back to my client.

The clerk refused to sell me the cable.

I don't think this is company policy any more (or ever was!).
"Dick Adams" wrote in message
I try to aviod Radio Shack unless I am desparate.
So I was desparate and went there on Friday. When
I got home the device did not work (why am I surprised?)

So I returned it on Saturday and explained the situation
to a different clerk. He actually listened to me. Not
only that he found the correct device and tested it for
me. Maybe hell has frozen over,

Dick

Posted to alt.home.repair

I live in Texas, and Radio Shack has really been hit or miss for me as
well. I am trying to build some electronic trains, and sometimes Radio
Shack is my only bet. UGH!

Sonya

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dick Adams" wrote in message
I try to aviod Radio Shack unless I am desparate.
So I was desparate and went there on Friday. When
I got home the device did not work (why am I surprised?)

So I returned it on Saturday and explained the situation
to a different clerk. He actually listened to me. Not
only that he found the correct device and tested it for
me. Maybe hell has frozen over,

Dick

First I have to confess.
I was once a RS employee.

This was over a dozen years ago and happened sort of by accident.
I had retired from my real job and my wife was still working. I had a little
home project and dropped into my local RS to pick up some bits and pieces.
They had a sign in the window advertising for help. Well, I figured , what
the hell, it would be like working in a toy store. In the application, I
said no nights or weekends, full or part time. I though I would get a
turndown. Who wanted a retiree with those requirements. (Oh, somewhere in my
background was a BSEE)

I got the job, full time, no nights or weekends. I stuck it out for three
years. During that time I reached longevity in that store. I went through
five different mangers. Hiring was done by the district office and they were
desperate for help. And I was on the third district manager when I left.

I saw new employees come in that had no clue about anything electronic. It
was not uncommon for a newbie to go out to lunch and never come back. The
turnover in the company when I was there was said to be greater than 100%
per year.

This was during the time when the "you've got questions, we have answers"
was started. No one ever said they were the right answers. There was enough
out and out lying go on I told one manager I was going to turn him in if I
heard him spout the crap he was doling out.

I attracted a faithful set of customers who trusted me. If some one had a
really in depth question about a product, I had no problem using the
internal telephone system to call someone in the company who was savvy about
a particular product and could provide information that might mean looking
up a parts list or even a voltage reading. We had a nearby repair center
that was also a good source. The big difference was hat I could ask the
right question and relay it to the customer in a way it was correct and
understandable.

I am not surprise that they have reduced the small parts line-up There are
fewer and fewer people who are looking to experiment or trying to fix a TV
or stereo now that everything is surface mount and so many things are built
with ic's that are custom and not obtainable.

I've got lots of stories, but I just wanted to give a perspective from
someone who had been inside.

Please forgive me for past sins.

Charlie (now actively retired)

Posted to alt.home.repair

om...
Dick Adams wrote:

[...]

I've looked at tigerdirect, and always thought their prices were way high.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dick Adams wrote:
I try to aviod Radio Shack unless I am desparate.
So I was desparate and went there on Friday. When
I got home the device did not work (why am I surprised?)

So I returned it on Saturday and explained the situation
to a different clerk. He actually listened to me. Not
only that he found the correct device and tested it for
me. Maybe hell has frozen over,

Dick

I have a warm spot in my heart for RS because during my college years in
the 1950s I worked part time as a counter man in the original RS store
on Washington Street, in the heart of downtown Boston.

That was when the founders, the Deutschmann brothers, still owed RS,
before Tandy aquired the chain in 1963.

While you can't find every electronic component you might need at a RS
store today, most larger cities have one or more retail customer
friendly electronic supply stores which can help with your "need it
today" purchases.

Here in the Boston area one such place is "You-do-it" Electronics in
Needham:

http://www.youdoitelectronics.com/

Thanks for the mammaries,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Radio Shack bashing needs to be countered.

I agree. Without Radio Shack, every little component a tinkerer might
need will cost at least a shipping fee, probably UPS (and a wait). When
I need something small like a relay or a photoresistor, I wind up at RS.
While I'm there, I like to browse. I'll examine their toys & their
accessories, and maybe flip through their flier.

Radio Shack can't last forever the way it's going, but I hope it
survives in one form or another. ... and I hope they start paying their
store managers a living wage!

Only once in the last ten years or so have I had a bad time at a RS. I
walked into one -- a different store than my usual -- that the manager
had turned into his own personal 'hip-hop' studio, and I was an
intruder. Generally, the 'help' isn't much help, but I already know
exactly what I need, and in many cases I'll already have the Radio Shack
part number on a piece of paper.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 4 Nov 2007 14:05:09 -0800, "Bob F"
wrote:

I've looked at tigerdirect, and always thought their prices were way high.

Bob

You thought right. The last place to consider, in my buying...
--
Oren

"I wouldn't even be here if my support group hadn't beaten me up."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 22:46:18 GMT, Robert Barr wrote:

[...]

The local RS has Internet Kiosksp . Check the web site, while in
the store.
--
Oren

"I wouldn't even be here if my support group hadn't beaten me up."
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Sun, 4 Nov 2007 13:08:35 +0000 (UTC),
(Dick
Adams) wrote:

I try to aviod Radio Shack unless I am desparate.
So I was desparate and went there on Friday. When
I got home the device did not work (why am I surprised?)

So I returned it on Saturday and explained the situation
to a different clerk. He actually listened to me. Not
only that he found the correct device and tested it for
me. Maybe hell has frozen over,

Dick

Radio Shack bashing needs to be countered.

Radio Shack through out the years even when
higher priced have always stood by electronic
hobbyist and been a source of electronic parts.
Keeping the stores stocked with low profit per space
parts should be commended. Most retail outlets can't
be bothered by including such parts in their inventory.
You'd be hard pressed to find a local source for a two
watt non inductive resistor but Radio Shack will have
one, even if the guy behind the counter doesn't know
what it is.

What year is it in your neighborhood? Around here, the RS stores have
dropped most parts from shelf display, and the selection in the catalog
isn't much better. Almost nothing for the hobbyist. Basically a cell
phone and toy store now- along with no parts, almost no
shortwave/CB/scanner stuff- you know, the 'R' in RS?

Glad your store is still serving your needs. I go in the ones around
here maybe twice a year, and usually leave empty-handed and wondering
why I bothered. One has already gone belly-up, and as empty as the
parking lot always is at the surviving stand-alone store, I'm pretty
sure the 3rd one in the mall will be the only one left within a year.
Like a lot of niche retailers, some marketing mistakes on their part,
combined with easy access to oddball stuff on internet, and competition
from big-boxes for disposable stuff, has made their corporate future
very iffy.

aem sends....

Posted to alt.home.repair

"newman" wrote in message
Years ago, while in New York on business, I needed a cable. RS was handy
so
I went in and picked out the cable, then gave the company credit card.

When the clerk asked for a phone number, I replied that it was a business
credit card, I was from out of state, and I just wanted to buy the cable
and
get back to my client.

The clerk refused to sell me the cable.

I don't think this is company policy any more (or ever was!).

it was the most stupid store policy in the history of retail. i liked to
tell them mine was 666-123-4567 slowly.

if they said it couldn't be i'd ask them if they are calling me a liar? i
refuse to give people my phone number. none of their freakin' business. my
wife cringes when they ask. tee hee

"Dick Adams" wrote in message
I try to aviod Radio Shack unless I am desparate.
So I was desparate and went there on Friday. When
I got home the device did not work (why am I surprised?)

So I returned it on Saturday and explained the situation
to a different clerk. He actually listened to me. Not
only that he found the correct device and tested it for
me. Maybe hell has frozen over,

Dick

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Charlie Bress" wrote in message

"Dick Adams" wrote in message
[...]

**** 100% that's nothing. i was a restaurant manager. one time i calculated
the t/o at over 600%. that was about the time i quit.

your story is so depressing. every time i go to rs there is a new person.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Nov 4, 4:25 pm, Jeff Wisnia wrote:

snip

Thanks for the mammaries,

Latest polite British slang for the above is 'Chesticles' , as
reported in a recent article in The Register. Thought you might like
to know. G

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joe" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Nov 4, 4:25 pm, Jeff Wisnia wrote:

snip

Thanks for the mammaries,

Latest polite British slang for the above is 'Chesticles' , as
reported in a recent article in The Register. Thought you might like
to know. G

Joe

doesn't rhyme with memories

Posted to alt.home.repair

I was in a local RS today looking at low end cam corders. The sales
person was somewhat knowledgable.....

better than nothing,

although the store manager there is nice knowledgable and pleasant.
her dads been a manager for like 30 years

some years ago she was a waste.

her dad sent me to her store, she was just a sales person. unfriendly
lazy and unhelpful.

later he asked me how it went, i didnt know it was his daughter:
( found out after I told him she was a waste.........

he said thats my daughter it was a bad moment, i have known bob
forever.

she got yelled at that nite.

must of done some good, she is excellent today

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 22:46:18 GMT, Robert Barr wrote:

Radio Shack bashing needs to be countered.

I agree. Without Radio Shack, every little component a tinkerer might
need will cost at least a shipping fee, probably UPS (and a wait). When
I need something small like a relay or a photoresistor, I wind up at RS.
While I'm there, I like to browse. I'll examine their toys & their
accessories, and maybe flip through their flier.

Radio Shack can't last forever the way it's going, but I hope it
survives in one form or another. ... and I hope they start paying their

There is absolutely nothing even the slightest bit interesting that can
be made using RS parts. They haven't had even a slightely useable stock
since the 70's.

RS is OK for toys, cell phone accessories, and batteries, and little else.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dick Adams wrote:

[...]

[sig snipped]

I wish I could go SOMEWHERE for advice, like you used to be able to. I
wanted to find out about using a TV antenna here (for a particular
ATSC station). No, calling the station is not OK. It's 35 miles away
and I was wanting LOCAL advice.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

school classes." -- Ted Kennedy
Posted to alt.home.repair

Adams) wrote:

I try to aviod Radio Shack unless I am desparate.
So I was desparate and went there on Friday. When
I got home the device did not work (why am I surprised?)

So I returned it on Saturday and explained the situation
to a different clerk. He actually listened to me. Not
only that he found the correct device and tested it for
me. Maybe hell has frozen over,

Dick

Radio Shack bashing needs to be countered.

Radio Shack through out the years even when
higher priced have always stood by electronic
hobbyist and been a source of electronic parts.

I used to go to RS for that purpose a lot 20-25 years ago. I would get
their catalog every year (no internet access then) and would go in for
specific parts (by catalog number). That worked OK, I knew a lot more
than most of the sales people did.

Keeping the stores stocked with low profit per space
parts should be commended. Most retail outlets can't
be bothered by including such parts in their inventory.
You'd be hard pressed to find a local source for a two
watt non inductive resistor but Radio Shack will have
one, even if the guy behind the counter doesn't know
what it is.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

school classes." -- Ted Kennedy
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Mark Lloyd wrote:
I wish I could go SOMEWHERE for advice, like you used to be able to. I
wanted to find out about using a TV antenna here (for a particular
ATSC station). No, calling the station is not OK. It's 35 miles away
and I was wanting LOCAL advice.

For us, that _is_ local...

Actually, for the same questions last February when I was in the need to
replace the ice-broken antenna, I did call the station and talked to one
of their engineers. Along with that I was having a problem w/ a new
low-powered station competing with them and he had some useful
input--plus, in this particular instance, I think that put the bug in
their ear to go after the offender as they seem to have disappeared
since...at least, they no longer seem to be broadcasting w/ sufficient
power to interfere w/ the alloted channel in the area...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 13:10:38 -0600, dpb wrote:

Mark Lloyd wrote:
I wish I could go SOMEWHERE for advice, like you used to be able to. I
wanted to find out about using a TV antenna here (for a particular
ATSC station). No, calling the station is not OK. It's 35 miles away
and I was wanting LOCAL advice.

For us, that _is_ local...

And astronomers will call some stars "local".

Actually, for the same questions last February when I was in the need to
replace the ice-broken antenna, I did call the station and talked to one
of their engineers. Along with that I was having a problem w/ a new
low-powered station competing with them and he had some useful
input--plus, in this particular instance, I think that put the bug in
their ear to go after the offender as they seem to have disappeared
since...at least, they no longer seem to be broadcasting w/ sufficient
power to interfere w/ the alloted channel in the area...

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

school classes." -- Ted Kennedy
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mark Lloyd wrote:
I wish I could go SOMEWHERE for advice, like you used to be able to. I
wanted to find out about using a TV antenna here (for a particular
ATSC station). No, calling the station is not OK. It's 35 miles away
and I was wanting LOCAL advice.

For us, that _is_ local...

And astronomers will call some stars "local".

like our galaxy, mars is our neighbor.

Actually, for the same questions last February when I was in the need to
replace the ice-broken antenna, I did call the station and talked to one
of their engineers. Along with that I was having a problem w/ a new
low-powered station competing with them and he had some useful
input--plus, in this particular instance, I think that put the bug in
their ear to go after the offender as they seem to have disappeared
since...at least, they no longer seem to be broadcasting w/ sufficient
power to interfere w/ the alloted channel in the area...

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

school classes." -- Ted Kennedy

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 4, 10:17 am, wrote:

Radio Shack bashing needs to be countered.

You'd be hard pressed to find a local source for a two
watt non inductive resistor but Radio Shack will have
one, even if the guy behind the counter doesn't know
what it is.

They weren't much help with a 600 PIV rectifier diode when lightning
did a number on my TV a few years back. Probably one of the few things
in the TV that I would be capable of fixing - TV died after a storm,
opened it up, started ohming from the power line coming in, found an
open fuse and a shorted rectifier diode. Of course, the kid in the
store didn't know what it was, but it wasn't something they stocked
anyway - only had about 5 different flavors of rectifier diodes. For
anything other than garden-variety resistors and capacitors, I have
always done better going to a real electronics parts store like
Circuit Specialists - prices are usually much better too.

Jerry

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mark Lloyd" wrote in message

I wish I could go SOMEWHERE for advice, like you used to be able to. I
wanted to find out about using a TV antenna here (for a particular
ATSC station). No, calling the station is not OK. It's 35 miles away
and I was wanting LOCAL advice.

Try asking a TV repairman. (If you can find one)

Bob