Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

Default DOOR/SCREEN OPENING

My neighbor is having a storm door installed.

Her front door has the knob on the left. ( standing outside )
They've sold her a storm door with the latch on the right.

Somehow this seems awkward !

It seems you'd want both doors
to have the knob on the same side ( the left )

Yet, driving around the neighborhood,
most stormdoors are installed with latch
opposite the main door knob.....

Am I nuts ?
Or have all these doors been installed backwards ?

???
rj
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 3, 3:07 pm, "RJ" wrote:
My neighbor is having a storm door installed.

Her front door has the knob on the left. ( standing outside )
They've sold her a storm door with the latch on the right.

Somehow this seems awkward !

It seems you'd want both doors
to have the knob on the same side ( the left )

Yet, driving around the neighborhood,
most stormdoors are installed with latch
opposite the main door knob.....

Am I nuts ?
Or have all these doors been installed backwards ?

???
rj

It depends...

My front doors and the doors into the garage both hinge on the same
side, but my walkout basement doors hinge opposite each other. That's
due to the traffic pattern through each door.

The interior doors all open against a wall, so that's a no brainer.
The basement and garage storm doors open away from the direction you
have to walk so you don't have to go around the storm door when
exiting. i.e. in the garage you have to turn left when exiting, so the
storm swings to the right. When exiting the basement, you can go
straight or turn right, so the storm swings to the left.

The front storm *could* open either way since there is a railing on
both sides of the stoop, but if it was hinged opposite the interior
door you would have to reach/walk diagonally across the opening to
enter or exit. It just seems more convenient to open the first door
and then reach straight ahead to open the other one.

BTW...when I first moved in, the basement door opened into the room as
opposed to against the wall, directly in line with the passage way
door into the main part of the basement. The door could only open 90
degrees, so you had to go around it when it was open. I guess it
wasn't a "no-brainer" to whoever installed it. When I replaced the old
wooden one with a steel one, I hung it so it opened against the wall.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RJ" wrote

My neighbor is having a storm door installed.

Her front door has the knob on the left. ( standing outside )
They've sold her a storm door with the latch on the right.

Somehow this seems awkward !

Depends on if both doors open the same way.

It seems you'd want both doors
to have the knob on the same side ( the left )

Not nessecarily. If the front door opens inwards (most do) and the screen
outwards (never seen one that didnt) then it's common to have them on
opposite sides.

Am I nuts ?
Or have all these doors been installed backwards ?

Grin, it's ok. In my house, they are opposite sides. The front door opens
into the house to lay flush to the wall (towards the fireplace
catty-cornered to it). The screen opens the other way againt a small
outthrust. If the screen opened the other way (hinges same sde as door),
it would swing into a small built in ground level planter area as well as
block the walkway from the driveway to the front door.

Posted to alt.home.repair

RJ wrote:

My neighbor is having a storm door installed.

Her front door has the knob on the left. ( standing outside )
They've sold her a storm door with the latch on the right.

Somehow this seems awkward !

It seems you'd want both doors
to have the knob on the same side ( the left )

Yet, driving around the neighborhood,
most stormdoors are installed with latch
opposite the main door knob.....

Am I nuts ?
Or have all these doors been installed backwards ?

???
rj

Hi,
I'd say that will be unusual. I wouldn't do that.