Posted to alt.home.repair
Pam Pam is offline

Default stempling cielings-How To

I am redoing a rental property and need help? The ceilings have had
two different types of paint used and has caused a mess, the paint is
peiling off. To make it easy on myself I would like to stemple the
ceilings but have never done this, can anyone be of help to me? Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

It sounds as if you may live across the pond. I don't know the
term stempling (spell checker and answers.com don't either) but I
am guessing you are referring to adding a decorative pattern or
swirl to the ceiling.

US terminology - texture.

Too many questions to answer question well.
Peeling paint would indicate there was grease or other contaminant
that should have been cleaned before the last paint. There is
nothing I know of that will fix this short of peeling off the
unstuck material. Wash all surfaces with a cleaner - real TSP is
one of the best (make sure it really is trisodium phosphate).

Drywall compound will stick to almost any clean sound surface. It
can be dabbed on with a brush; scrunched on with a sponge, rag, or
crumpled up newspaper; rolled on with a roller; splattered on with
a texture gun; trowelled on with a notched trowel or skip applied;
it can be knocked down or not. Practice on a scrap piece of
drywall, cardboard, or sheathing to get the effect you want.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"Pam" wrote in message
ups.com...
I am redoing a rental property and need help? The ceilings have
had
two different types of paint used and has caused a mess, the
paint is
peiling off. To make it easy on myself I would like to stemple
the
ceilings but have never done this, can anyone be of help to me?
Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pam Pam is offline

On Nov 3, 6:54 am, "DanG" wrote:
[...]

"Pam" wrote in message

ups.com...

I am redoing a rental property and need help? The ceilings have
had
two different types of paint used and has caused a mess, the
paint is
peiling off. To make it easy on myself I would like to stemple
the
ceilings but have never done this, can anyone be of help to me?
Thanks- Hide quoted text -

DanG,
Thanks, I wasn't sure what the correct termenology was, I just knew
what I wanted to do LOL. and wise as you are you figured out what I
meant as well. So after I clean the surface I just dip the brush in
the drywall, Do i need to paint the celing with any type of paint
first. Oh and by the way I am across the pond I live in Alabama, never
could spell and I am getting to be an old lady so I have CRS. LOL
Your advice is helpful Thank You
Pam

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Nov 2, 6:55 pm, Pam wrote:
I am redoing a rental property and need help? The ceilings have had
two different types of paint used and has caused a mess, the paint is
peiling off. To make it easy on myself I would like to stemple the
ceilings but have never done this, can anyone be of help to me? Thanks

Do you mean 'stipple'?

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Joe" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Nov 2, 6:55 pm, Pam wrote:
I am redoing a rental property and need help? The ceilings have had
two different types of paint used and has caused a mess, the paint is
peiling off. To make it easy on myself I would like to stemple the
ceilings but have never done this, can anyone be of help to me? Thanks

Putting stipple texture on poorly applied older paint is a recipe for even
more problems, and falling stipple.
Better to try to remove poorly-applied layer, clean older paint layer
underneath, prime, and paint with a rough roller, to give some surface
relief.
Roger