Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What do I use to cut holes in cement board

Durock, hardi-backer, wonder board etc. I assume some type of carbide
drill bit but what is it called? Holes big enough for pipes and
shutoff vales. Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
s.com...
Durock, hardi-backer, wonder board etc. I assume some type of carbide
drill bit but what is it called? Holes big enough for pipes and
shutoff vales. Thanks.

you're supposed to cut them with a utility knife and punch it out with a
hammer.

Posted to alt.home.repair
JB JB is offline

On Nov 1, 10:20 pm, wrote:
Durock, hardi-backer, wonder board etc. I assume some type of carbide
drill bit but what is it called? Holes big enough for pipes and
shutoff vales. Thanks.

They have coping saws with round carbide-covered blades.

--Jeff

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 2, 8:43 am, JB wrote:
On Nov 1, 10:20 pm, wrote:

Durock, hardi-backer, wonder board etc. I assume some type of carbide
drill bit but what is it called? Holes big enough for pipes and
shutoff vales. Thanks.

They have coping saws with round carbide-covered blades.

--Jeff

Or how about one of the roto-zip type spiral saws?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
s.com...
Durock, hardi-backer, wonder board etc. I assume some type of carbide
drill bit but what is it called? Holes big enough for pipes and
shutoff vales. Thanks.

Masonry bit? You can use a small one and drill multiple holes for smaller
openings, then break out the middle. Or drill corner holes and use a carbide
blade in a sabre saw. You can use regular steel bits and blades, but they won't
last long. A 1/8" carbide cutting bit in a dremel tool or other high speed tools
works very well. For longer straight cuts, score and break, or used a masonry
abrasive blade in a circular saw (but don't breath the dust).

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Nov 1, 9:20 pm, wrote:
Durock, hardi-backer, wonder board etc. I assume some type of carbide
drill bit but what is it called? Holes big enough for pipes and
shutoff vales. Thanks.

Harbor Feight has carbide coated hole saws that should make short work
of any of the cement boards. Even diamond in 7/16" and 3/4" sizes for
$3. Cat # 32399-9GBG. Latter ought to last quite a while. HTH

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

It is hard on regular hole saws, but they work quite well. It is
often easier to get an oversized piece of scrap pipe, support the
sheet well, and punch the pipe through the sheet with a hammer.
This method works just as well on drywall.

--
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

s.com...