Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Painting a metal roof

We have a rural "A" frame cabin we've been fixing up for about a century now
(OK, maybe 3-4 years), and we're close to being finished. One of the
cosmetic unattractive features of the place is the roof color, which is kind
of a power or sky blue. Very 70's, which is of course when it was built.
We've been thinking a medium grey or industrial red would be more suitable.

To complete a stovepipe repair, I had to paint one of the roofline dormers
that stick out on each side of the "A" frame. I washed it down, applied a
light dusting of spray primer. We got a good color-matched metal paint and
I painted the whole dormer roof with a paintbrush. It took longer than
anticipated, and once the sun hit the roof it was tough to get the paint to
go on smoothly. The job was still pretty good, although the finish of the
paint is not uniform across the section.

Seeing that the results weren't too bad, I am now wondering about painting
the entire roof, probably 1200-1500 sq feet of metal. It is mostly in good
shape, the area gets little precip and the roof pitch is very steep. I
would likely hire it out anyways, I look forward less and less to spending
my weekends on a 36 foot ladder, and I'm betting pros would spray instead.

Assuming a good prep and paint, how would the result compare, durability
wise, with the original baked coating? As mentioned, there is little precip
and the pitch prevents any snow accumulation. I am most concerned that the
paint application would need to be limited to time windows of early morning
or late evening to avoid applying to hot metal. Also, a layer of paint
might peel or bubble given the extreme heat it would ensure in hot dry
summers.

Anybody painted a metal roof before and have any advice?

Painting a roof? Anthona Home Repair 10 September 2nd 06 05:00 PM
Help with painting metal railing? john Home Repair 12 July 27th 06 02:27 PM
Painting a standing seam metal roof? [email protected] Home Repair 3 March 2nd 06 04:02 AM
Painting Metal Doors [email protected] Metalworking 15 November 24th 05 03:19 AM
Painting metal Dorothy Roper Home Repair 1 August 13th 05 05:43 PM