DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   moen faucet, defies physics. (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/219556-moen-faucet-defies-physics.html)

z October 31st 07 06:16 PM

moen faucet, defies physics.

OK, here's the deal:
newish (to me) house. bathroom has two sinks next to each other, with
identical Moen faucets. both hooked up correctly. left hand faucet
works normallly, right hand faucet has hot water come out when lever
is to the right, cold to the right, i.e. backwards. but, i repeat,
it's hooked up correctly, just like left hand (not backwards) faucet.

hot water shutoff valve shuts off hot water and cold water shutoff
shuts off cold water, despite backwardness. hot water pipe gets hot
when hot water flows on either faucet. supply lines are not crossed up
under the faucets, i looked right up there. I pulled out the
cartridge, it looks symmetrical, pretty simple deal, a hole in the
left where the hot water comes in and a hole in the right where the
cold water comes in.

what the hell?

Nancy Young October 31st 07 06:22 PM

moen faucet, defies physics.

"z" wrote

under the faucets, i looked right up there. I pulled out the
cartridge, it looks symmetrical, pretty simple deal, a hole in the
left where the hot water comes in and a hole in the right where the
cold water comes in.

what the hell?

I don't have an answer for you. I have a Moen shower
setup and it was dripping so I took off the knob to look at the
cartridge. I turned the cartridge around and around, both ways,
but didn't remove the cartridge.

Replaced the knob, no drip, that's great. However, the hot is
now to the right and the cold to the left. I don't know why.

nancy

z October 31st 07 06:27 PM

moen faucet, defies physics.

On Oct 31, 2:16 pm, z wrote:
OK, here's the deal:
newish (to me) house. bathroom has two sinks next to each other, with
identical Moen faucets. both hooked up correctly. left hand faucet
works normallly, right hand faucet has hot water come out when lever
is to the right, cold to the right, i.e. backwards. but, i repeat,
it's hooked up correctly, just like left hand (not backwards) faucet.

hot water shutoff valve shuts off hot water and cold water shutoff
shuts off cold water, despite backwardness. hot water pipe gets hot
when hot water flows on either faucet. supply lines are not crossed up
under the faucets, i looked right up there. I pulled out the
cartridge, it looks symmetrical, pretty simple deal, a hole in the
left where the hot water comes in and a hole in the right where the
cold water comes in.

what the hell?

I meant

left hand faucet
works normallly, right hand faucet has hot water come out when lever
is to the right, cold to the LEFT, i.e. backwards

[email protected] October 31st 07 07:17 PM

moen faucet, defies physics.

On Oct 31, 2:27 pm, z wrote:
On Oct 31, 2:16 pm, z wrote:

OK, here's the deal:
newish (to me) house. bathroom has two sinks next to each other, with
identical Moen faucets. both hooked up correctly. left hand faucet
works normallly, right hand faucet has hot water come out when lever
is to the right, cold to the right, i.e. backwards. but, i repeat,
it's hooked up correctly, just like left hand (not backwards) faucet.

Relatively simple: the cartridge needs to be flipped 180 degrees.

Shut the water off, remove the handle, remove the clip holding the
cartridge (looks like a cotter pin), turn the cartridge 180 degrees,
put clip back in, screw handle, turn water on.

If the cartridge is a pain to remove (it can be), use the screw from
the handle to lift it.

Pierre

Red Green October 31st 07 07:28 PM

moen faucet, defies physics.

z wrote in news:1193854572.050929.50200
@d55g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:

OK, here's the deal:
newish (to me) house. bathroom has two sinks next to each other, with
identical Moen faucets. both hooked up correctly. left hand faucet
works normallly, right hand faucet has hot water come out when lever
is to the right, cold to the right, i.e. backwards. but, i repeat,
it's hooked up correctly, just like left hand (not backwards) faucet.

hot water shutoff valve shuts off hot water and cold water shutoff
shuts off cold water, despite backwardness. hot water pipe gets hot
when hot water flows on either faucet. supply lines are not crossed up
under the faucets, i looked right up there. I pulled out the
cartridge, it looks symmetrical, pretty simple deal, a hole in the
left where the hot water comes in and a hole in the right where the
cold water comes in.

what the hell?

Are you south of the equator?

:-)

Oren October 31st 07 08:02 PM

moen faucet, defies physics.

On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 12:17:14 -0700, wrote:

On Oct 31, 2:27 pm, z wrote:
On Oct 31, 2:16 pm, z wrote:

OK, here's the deal:
newish (to me) house. bathroom has two sinks next to each other, with
identical Moen faucets. both hooked up correctly. left hand faucet
works normallly, right hand faucet has hot water come out when lever
is to the right, cold to the right, i.e. backwards. but, i repeat,
it's hooked up correctly, just like left hand (not backwards) faucet.

Relatively simple: the cartridge needs to be flipped 180 degrees.

Shut the water off, remove the handle, remove the clip holding the
cartridge (looks like a cotter pin), turn the cartridge 180 degrees,
put clip back in, screw handle, turn water on.

If the cartridge is a pain to remove (it can be), use the screw from
the handle to lift it.

Pierre

LOL. They can be simple things, we don't see. The neighbor came over
one day. He got the parts (new stem) online for his bath faucet. He
was fixing a drip and bought the stem replacement. I went over and
listened to what he had already tried, but every time he turned on the
supply line the faucet flowed and would not turn off in either
direction.

After looking and looking; he had put the rubber washer/seat on top of
the spring upside down. The cone shape had to be down for a seat and
he had it facing up. Flipped it over for a fix :)

--
Oren

Dave Martindale October 31st 07 08:26 PM

moen faucet, defies physics.

z writes:
OK, here's the deal:
newish (to me) house. bathroom has two sinks next to each other, with
identical Moen faucets. both hooked up correctly. left hand faucet
works normallly, right hand faucet has hot water come out when lever
is to the right, cold to the right, i.e. backwards. but, i repeat,
it's hooked up correctly, just like left hand (not backwards) faucet.

hot water shutoff valve shuts off hot water and cold water shutoff
shuts off cold water, despite backwardness. hot water pipe gets hot
when hot water flows on either faucet. supply lines are not crossed up
under the faucets, i looked right up there. I pulled out the
cartridge, it looks symmetrical, pretty simple deal, a hole in the
left where the hot water comes in and a hole in the right where the
cold water comes in.

The fixed part of the cartridge is symmetric about the centre, but the
rotating valve part of the cartridge is sort of half-round in shape, and
the cutaway portion needs to face in the direction the handle faces.
One of yours is backward.

You need to install the handle on the cartridge the other way around.
Take the handle off that faucet, rotate the shaft of the cartridge 180
degrees, and put the handle back on.

The place where the handle mounts on the cartridge shaft is not keyed,
so the handle can mount either of two ways. This is a feature, because
different Moen faucets with different handle designs (lever vs.
directly-attached handle) use the cartridge oriented differently. To get
things aligned correctly, there's a mark on one side of the shaft but
not the other, and you're supposed to match these when replacing
cartridges. Someone obviously didn't.

(This also means that if you happen to get hot and cold swapped when
plumbing a new Moen faucet, you can get it to operate correctly just by
rotating the cartridge to the "wrong" orientation - you don't have to
fix the plumbing).

Dave

EXT October 31st 07 08:31 PM

moen faucet, defies physics.

They (Moen) used to advertise that when installing sinks or showers back to
back you didn't need to cross the plumbing to supply hot water on the left,
just run the pipes to both sides so that one is backwards. When you install
the shower or tub filler or sink, you just flip the cartridge 180 degrees
and all would be fixed. Great for a lazy plumber -- confusing as all get out
for the homeowner, a few years later when he is trying to fix something or
upgrade to another brand of faucets.

Frank October 31st 07 09:20 PM

moen faucet, defies physics.

z wrote:
OK, here's the deal:
newish (to me) house. bathroom has two sinks next to each other, with
identical Moen faucets. both hooked up correctly. left hand faucet
works normallly, right hand faucet has hot water come out when lever
is to the right, cold to the right, i.e. backwards. but, i repeat,
it's hooked up correctly, just like left hand (not backwards) faucet.

hot water shutoff valve shuts off hot water and cold water shutoff
shuts off cold water, despite backwardness. hot water pipe gets hot
when hot water flows on either faucet. supply lines are not crossed up
under the faucets, i looked right up there. I pulled out the
cartridge, it looks symmetrical, pretty simple deal, a hole in the
left where the hot water comes in and a hole in the right where the
cold water comes in.

what the hell?

I've never seen this but reminds me of time coworker bought a new house
and builder had mixed up hot and cold line in bathroom and hot water
went to toilet. Every time he flushed, he got a hot flush ;)

Jerry October 31st 07 10:28 PM

moen faucet, defies physics.

On Oct 31, 2:20 pm, Frank frankdotlogullo@comcastperiodnet wrote:

I've never seen this but reminds me of time coworker bought a new house
and builder had mixed up hot and cold line in bathroom and hot water
went to toilet. Every time he flushed, he got a hot flush ;)

Had a friend who had the exact same problem with a builder, every time
he spent more than a few minutes sitting on the throne, he'd get
condensation on his butt.

This same builder also managed to not notice that the drywall crew had
drywalled over the air conditioner return ductwork. Friend noticed the
AC wasn't putting out much air, they sent the AC contractor, whose
first question was "Where's the return?"

Jerry

[email protected] November 1st 07 12:57 AM

moen faucet, defies physics.

If you know the model faucet, look it up on Moen.com. I usually go to
the section at the top called "Buy Parts Online", which will guide you
through a series of questions to identify your faucet. Then I go to
"Support" and input the model number I just found, and get the
detailed Instructions sheet/owners manual. By following these
directions you can avoid scratching the sink and damaging things by
doing things the wrong way. It also says about your problem: "To
Eliminate Cross-Piping on Back-To-Back Installations, or To Correct
Reversed Rough-In Where Hot and Cold Positions Are Reversed - Remove
handle parts and stop tube (see "Disassembly"). Turn cartridge stem
around so that the notched flat is turned one half turn or 180°.
Reinstall handle parts. Tighten handle screw securely; replace handle
cover."

cln November 1st 07 02:12 PM

moen faucet, defies physics.

Catrige is installed wrong.
pop the top, twist cartrige 90'

z November 1st 07 02:29 PM

moen faucet, defies physics.

On Oct 31, 2:16 pm, z wrote:
OK, here's the deal:
newish (to me) house. bathroom has two sinks next to each other, with
identical Moen faucets. both hooked up correctly. left hand faucet
works normallly, right hand faucet has hot water come out when lever
is to the right, cold to the right, i.e. backwards. but, i repeat,
it's hooked up correctly, just like left hand (not backwards) faucet.

hot water shutoff valve shuts off hot water and cold water shutoff
shuts off cold water, despite backwardness. hot water pipe gets hot
when hot water flows on either faucet. supply lines are not crossed up
under the faucets, i looked right up there. I pulled out the
cartridge, it looks symmetrical, pretty simple deal, a hole in the
left where the hot water comes in and a hole in the right where the
cold water comes in.

what the hell?

Wow, lots of good answers. Thanks guys.

z November 1st 07 02:48 PM

moen faucet, defies physics.

On Oct 31, 6:28 pm, Jerry wrote:
This same builder also managed to not notice that the drywall crew had
drywalled over the air conditioner return ductwork. Friend noticed the
AC wasn't putting out much air, they sent the AC contractor, whose
first question was "Where's the return?"

That all? Heck, the contractor could build highways in CT.

"An independent audit of the project in late 2006 revealed that over
300 storm drains installed by the now-defunct L.G. DeFelice
Construction Company, were either filled with sand, were improperly
installed, or were connected with pipes that led to nowhere. In
addition to the faulty storm drains, officials discovered light
fixtures with defective mounting brackets when one of the fixtures
fell off of its support pole and onto the highway. Inspectors also
discovered the structural steel for an overpass was not properly
installed, raising serious questions about the bridge's structural
integrity."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connect...cal_corruption

But wait.... there's more....

"Contract E/E1: Reconstruction of I-95/I-91/Route 34 Interchange
Estimated Start Date: January 2008
Estimated Completion Date: September 2013
General Project Information
Contract E/E1
Contract E1 has been awarded to L.G. DeFelice of North Haven,
Connecticut and is valued at $13.1 million. "
http://www.rideworks.com/i95info.htm#b

Dave Martindale November 1st 07 08:47 PM

moen faucet, defies physics.

writes:

Relatively simple: the cartridge needs to be flipped 180 degrees.

I don't think the whole *cartridge* needs to be rotated, since the outer
stationary part of the cartridge is radially symmetric. Only the
rotating centre part needs to be rotated 180 degrees, and that can be
done without removing the cartridge.

Shut the water off, remove the handle, remove the clip holding the
cartridge (looks like a cotter pin), turn the cartridge 180 degrees,
put clip back in, screw handle, turn water on.

That will work, because it has the side effect of rotating the centre
as wellas the outside of the cartridge. But it's not necessary.

Dave