DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Leaking dishwasher (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/219517-leaking-dishwasher.html)

Mark Corbelli October 31st 07 11:47 AM

Leaking dishwasher

I am troubleshooting a dishwasher I installed about six years ago. I decided
to look under it last week when a friend told me he had a leak under his. Lo
and behold I had major mush in the wood underneath it. I am waiting for
things to dry out before I pull it out so I am using a pie plate to catch
the water and to also try to observe when and why it's happening. So far,
the plumbing connections look good. It only leaks when it fills to wash, and
then for a while after the dishes are done. I think that this could mean
that the water that the pump can't totally remove is leaking out until it's
dry. So this could mean some kind of pump seal gasket? Can anyone point me
in the right direction? The washer works fine otherwise.

MLD October 31st 07 06:10 PM

Leaking dishwasher

"Cshenk" wrote in message
Let me know what yoi find out. Mine just started leaking this morning.

"Mark Corbelli" wrote in message
I am troubleshooting a dishwasher I installed about six years ago. I
decided to look under it last week when a friend told me he had a leak
under his. Lo and behold I had major mush in the wood underneath it. I am
waiting for things to dry out before I pull it out so I am using a pie
plate to catch the water and to also try to observe when and why it's
happening. So far, the plumbing connections look good. It only leaks when
it fills to wash, and then for a while after the dishes are done. I think
that this could mean that the water that the pump can't totally remove is
leaking out until it's dry. So this could mean some kind of pump seal
gasket? Can anyone point me in the right direction? The washer works fine
otherwise.

Had a similar leak and it turned out to be the pump seal. Estimate was
about $350 to remove and replace. On line the pump assembly was about $135.
Dishwasher was 12 yrs old so went for a new one.
MLD

Mark Corbelli October 31st 07 07:50 PM

Leaking dishwasher

So there wasn't a gasket where the pump motor entered the bottom of the
dishwasher that can be replaced?

Dave Martindale October 31st 07 08:11 PM

Leaking dishwasher

"MLD" writes:

Had a similar leak and it turned out to be the pump seal. Estimate was
about $350 to remove and replace. On line the pump assembly was about $135.
Dishwasher was 12 yrs old so went for a new one.

What make of dishwasher? Was it one where the motor shaft is vertical
or horizontal?

GE dishwashers (sold under many names) have a horizontal motor shaft.
When the pump seal starts leaking, water creeps out of the pump along
the motor shaft and then gets slung all around by the rotating shaft,
but it stays out of the motor and bearings (which is good).

Our dishwasher started doing that a year ago. Fortunately, it's a
portable so we knew about it immediately - it started leaving a puddle
on the floor where it had been running. You can buy a kit of
replacement parts that include the pump seal and impeller, the food
chopping blade on the end of the shaft, and a few other pump parts, for
about $20 or $30. I replaced it myself and the dishwasher runs like new
again. There was no need to replace the motor or the pump housing.

On the other hand, Whirlpool-type dishwashers have a vertical motor
shaft, with the motor mounted under the pump. Apparently when the pump
seal leaks, you get alkaline water running down into the motor windings
and bearings, slowly destroying the motor if you don't catch it. And
it's a reversible motor, so I imagine replacing motor and pump might get
expensive.

Dave

Mark Corbelli October 31st 07 08:33 PM

Leaking dishwasher

I apologize for not having that info. I'm at work now and I'll bring the
owners manual to work with me tomorrow and post what kind it is.

Cshenk October 31st 07 09:44 PM

Leaking dishwasher

"MLD" wrote in message

"Cshenk" wrote in message

Let me know what yoi find out. Mine just started leaking this morning.

Had a similar leak and it turned out to be the pump seal. Estimate was
about $350 to remove and replace. On line the pump assembly was about
$135.
Dishwasher was 12 yrs old so went for a new one.

Ouch, ok. This one is about 10 years old. I'll call the repair folks and
see what they think over the phone.
xxcarol

MLD October 31st 07 10:13 PM

Leaking dishwasher

"Dave Martindale" wrote in message
"MLD" writes:

[...]

Mine was a GE. To repair you had to buy the whole pump assembly, Looked
easy to replace-a couple of clamps seemed to be holding the whole assembly
together. As long as I had to take the dishwasher out I figured that at 12
yrs I had my use out of it, so I went new. Actually, you don't realize just
how poor the old one was performing until you see the new one do its thing.
MLD

Mark Corbelli November 1st 07 12:22 PM

Leaking dishwasher

The Brand is KitchenAid and the Model is KUD124SE. Unfortunately the owners
manual didn't come with any schematics.