Posted to alt.home.repair

Default AC questions

My ac guys came today and installed a heat pump on top of an addition. They
did it before the roofer roofed. Is this common? Shouldn't they have
roofed first? It's going to be metal roof.

They also put in a dryer vent. A box at the bottom, then a straight pipe.
They cut a hole in the roof, but one truss over from the pipe. I'm
ass-u-ming that they cut the hole in the wrong place, as there's a 3' piece
of pipe sitting there on the floor not connected. The top of the vent pipe
runs to the top of the top plate. I don't want any flex in there, as it
would be a tight flex because it's a slightly sloped roof, and it would take
two tight flexes to make it to the hole they cut. Dryer vents are best when
a straight shot, right?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"wingnut" wrote in message
SteveB wrote:
My ac guys came today and installed a heat pump on top of an addition.
They did it before the roofer roofed. Is this common? Shouldn't they
have roofed first? It's going to be metal roof.

They also put in a dryer vent. A box at the bottom, then a straight
pipe. They cut a hole in the roof, but one truss over from the pipe. I'm
ass-u-ming that they cut the hole in the wrong place, as there's a 3'
piece of pipe sitting there on the floor not connected. The top of the
vent pipe runs to the top of the top plate. I don't want any flex in
there, as it would be a tight flex because it's a slightly sloped roof,
and it would take two tight flexes to make it to the hole they cut.
Dryer vents are best when a straight shot, right?

Steve

Hello Steve,

-HVAC,
A/C units are required to be secured to the roof. This tends to make
holes in the roof. This is not news to the roofers, who will be blamed
for any leaks. The roofer may wish to follow the HVAC man on this.
It is common practice as far as I know and done. Your local mileage may
vary.

BTW, A/C units are not mounted directly on the roof but on racks, etc.

-DRYER,
Perhaps the straight shot for the vent to the roof would exhaust the vent
in a bad spot. Too close to the A/C, or there may local code issues to
consider.

Read your dryers owner manual for allowed dryer vent length.
A shorter run is better for the dryer, but we do what we have to. My vent
runs 28' with 4 elbows......not ideal but well within manufactures specs.

Why not ask the HVAC man? After all he can see your house.

Am going to do that today, but have to leave soon for Vegas, then back
tomorrow. I'll call him on the phone. I just like to bounce ideas around
in here before I ask stupid or obvious questions. In here, people are a
little more relaxed. Well, some people, any way.

Steve

After the Deletion of Google Answers U Got Questions Fills the Gap Answering and Asking the Tough Questions [email protected] UK diy 0 May 7th 07 07:40 PM
After the Deletion of Google Answers U Got Questions Fills the Gap Answering and Asking the Tough Questions Linux Flash Drives Home Repair 0 May 7th 07 07:38 PM
Jig saw questions? Lost In Space/Woodchuck Woodworking 7 December 18th 06 10:14 PM
2 questions Gary and Karla Home Repair 4 April 14th 05 06:53 AM
TIG questions Jon Elson Metalworking 10 May 25th 04 06:02 AM