Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Removing 1 row of concrete block

Hi,
I'm building a courtyard wall using mortared concrete block (8x8x16).
According to my wife, I've built it one row too high. Is there an easy
way to remove the top row without destroying the row underneath? I
used type S mortar, which I assume is a lot stronger than the block
itself. Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 30, 4:22 pm, Paul Franklin
wrote:
On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 14:27:55 -0700, wrote:
Hi,
I'm building a courtyard wall using mortared concrete block (8x8x16).
According to my wife, I've built it one row too high. Is there an easy
way to remove the top row without destroying the row underneath? I
used type S mortar, which I assume is a lot stronger than the block
itself. Thanks.

Safest way would be to cut through the mortar joint with a diamond saw
from both sides of the wall. If you can only get to one side, you can
rent a saw big enough to saw all the way through. It's a messy, dusty
job, (unless you rent a wet saw, in which case it's only messy.) But
it will leave a nice clean edge that won't require much clean up.

If you just built the wall, the mortar may not be full strength, and a
well placed whack with a small sledge may do the trick. Of course you
run the risk of damaging one or more blocks in the lower row, which
would then have to be sawn out and replaced...

Third option, get a less fussy wife :-)

HTH,

Paul

Thanks Guys! So what is the cure time of mortar? I put the last course
on 2-3 days ago..
I think I'll go out tonight with my hand sledge hammer and see what I
can do. I do have
easy access to both sides, so a rented wet saw is option #2. My
neighbors would kill me
if I used a dry saw; I have about 38ft linear feet of wall. Regarding
a less fussy wife, that
was option #1 for a good while
Bruce

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Bruce- Hide quoted text -

Not familiar with type S. I suspect that as long as you don't have
anything on top of the wall, the first layer will come right off.
Give the end block a couple raps with the end of the handle as your
first try. I have removed block from teh middle of a wall (plumbing
access and install a new door) that was laid back in the 40s with no
problem. The mortar is more a leveler than a glue.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 30, 5:27 pm, wrote:
Hi,
I'm building a courtyard wall using mortared concrete block (8x8x16).
According to my wife, I've built it one row too high. Is there an easy
way to remove the top row without destroying the row underneath? I
used type S mortar, which I assume is a lot stronger than the block
itself. Thanks.

Wow! Your wife wasn't supervising while you built the wall? Ask her
if she'll marry me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 31, 10:47 am, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Oct 30, 5:27 pm, wrote:

Hi,
I'm building a courtyard wall using mortaredconcreteblock (8x8x16).
According to my wife, I've built it onerowtoo high. Is there an easy
way to remove the toprowwithout destroying therowunderneath? I
used type S mortar, which I assume is a lot stronger than the block
itself. Thanks.

Wow! Your wife wasn't supervising while you built the wall? Ask her
if she'll marry me.

She was supervising of course. After I put on the last row she change
her mind. I explained to her this isn't like moving furniture around.
At the end of the day we compromised like married couples do: the wall
will be the height she wants and I'll do the work....:-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 30, 5:27 pm, wrote:

Hi,
I'm building a courtyard wall using mortaredconcreteblock (8x8x16).
According to my wife, I've built it onerowtoo high. Is there an easy
way to remove the toprowwithout destroying therowunderneath? I
used type S mortar, which I assume is a lot stronger than the block
itself. Thanks.

Wow! Your wife wasn't supervising while you built the wall? Ask her
if she'll marry me.

She was supervising of course. After I put on the last row she change
her mind. I explained to her this isn't like moving furniture around.
At the end of the day we compromised like married couples do: the wall
will be the height she wants and I'll do the work....:-)

Ah the great compromise and rule #1. If she ain't happy, you ain't
happy. One must learn that the pants is the boss and what he decides
is what happens. Of course he must be sure that what he decides is
what she wants.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 30, 4:36 pm, buffalobill wrote:
On Oct 30, 5:27 pm, wrote:

Hi,
I'm building a courtyard wall using mortaredconcreteblock (8x8x16).
According to my wife, I've built it onerowtoo high. Is there an easy
way toremovethe toprowwithout destroying therowunderneath? I
used type S mortar, which I assume is a lot stronger than the block
itself. Thanks.

just in case, find out the permit office specifications on height
width depth and foundation footers for support of the wall, and zoning
requirements for setbacks from the property line. you may be taking
down more than even your wife planned.
-b

Yeh, I had a nice little chat with the city's head building inspector
*before* I started the project to make sure I met all setback and
height requirements. I don't know if other towns are like mine, but my
town has the inspector's do 'desk duty' for certain hours in the day
so any dummy like me can go in and just discuss a project to insure
all permitting/zoning codes are met. I think the theory is that this
cuts down on unpermitted work. Anyway, I find it to be a helpful
service
-Bruce