Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Unsticking a corner carousel

With luck, I'll be moving in a few weeks. The new house passed the
structural inspection with only minor issues noted but one thing I'm
sure is going to make me crazy is that the kitchen cabinets include a
corner carousel which turns with difficulty. I've never had one of
these in my house and I'm not sure how to fix it. I've Googled
newsgroups and the web in general and not found even an exploded view
of how they usually go together. What can I clean and/or lubricate to
make it work better?

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Christopher Nelson wrote:
With luck, I'll be moving in a few weeks. The new house passed the
structural inspection with only minor issues noted but one thing I'm
sure is going to make me crazy is that the kitchen cabinets include a
corner carousel which turns with difficulty. I've never had one of
these in my house and I'm not sure how to fix it. I've Googled
newsgroups and the web in general and not found even an exploded view
of how they usually go together. What can I clean and/or lubricate to
make it work better?

Depends on what the problem is -- if the shelves are rubbing on the
outer edge or somesuch, would take fixing that. If the bearings are bad
or dry, lubricating them would probably help. Some of the units I've
seen, however, are so cheaply made the real solution may be to simply
trash it and replace it with a better unit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 10/30/2007 9:27 AM Christopher Nelson said the following:
With luck, I'll be moving in a few weeks. The new house passed the
structural inspection with only minor issues noted but one thing I'm
sure is going to make me crazy is that the kitchen cabinets include a
corner carousel which turns with difficulty. I've never had one of
these in my house and I'm not sure how to fix it. I've Googled
newsgroups and the web in general and not found even an exploded view
of how they usually go together. What can I clean and/or lubricate to
make it work better?

To take it off for inspection and lube, and if it is like mine with the
folding corner door and a notched tray, look for a metal cap about
1-1/4" diameter on the tray just behind the notch. Pop the cap out with
a screwdriver. Put your finger in the hole and slowly turn the tray. You
should feel the screw heads (4) for removing the tray.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 13:27:31 -0000, Christopher Nelson
wrote:

With luck, I'll be moving in a few weeks. The new house passed the
structural inspection with only minor issues noted but one thing I'm
sure is going to make me crazy is that the kitchen cabinets include a
corner carousel which turns with difficulty. I've never had one of
these in my house and I'm not sure how to fix it. I've Googled
newsgroups and the web in general and not found even an exploded view
of how they usually go together. What can I clean and/or lubricate to
make it work better?

Personally, I'd remove it. Things fall off of it, wasted space, and
it may not always turn easily. I saw (on TOH) an alternative to a
carousel which has a quarter-round rack that swings out on the door
and at the same time pulls a square shelf from the corner. I
question the price of such a shelf mechanism, and maybe better off to
store seasonal or seldom used items in the far back corner. Hmmm, now
where did I store that deep turkey iron roasting pan?
Posted to alt.home.repair

If it was like the one I had, the trays were friction fit to a central
spindle and over time they would slowly drift down on the shaft until they
hit the bottom and cause a great deal of friction. THe fix was to push them
back up and drive a nail in to the wooden shaft to prevent the diffting down

wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Christopher Nelson" wrote in message
..
With luck, I'll be moving in a few weeks. The new house passed the
structural inspection with only minor issues noted but one thing I'm
sure is going to make me crazy is that the kitchen cabinets include a
corner carousel which turns with difficulty. I've never had one of
these in my house and I'm not sure how to fix it. I've Googled
newsgroups and the web in general and not found even an exploded view
of how they usually go together. What can I clean and/or lubricate to
make it work better?

Normally if it isnt a paint problem and you are sure it's the spindle, then
you have to oil at the base. The base may be hard to get at. In mine, it
requires I pull the 'baseboard' of the cabinet off, then there are 4 screws
we undo and the whole thing (including the outer cabinet which is attached)
can be pulled out. We just did this 2 weeks ago (part of the fixes from
renters who had our house). Underneath, was all sorts of spilled 'gunk'
which had leached into where the spindle connected. Cleaned it all up and
used WD-40, and all is well. If anything, it spins too easy now. The only
hard part was getting the baseboard off in one piece (essential as it's not
standard stuff but designed to match the rest and cant be found now).

Posted to alt.home.repair

jmagerl wrote:

"Phisherman" wrote in message

Personally, I'd remove it.

If it was like the one I had, the trays were friction fit to a central
spindle and over time they would slowly drift down on the shaft until

they
hit the bottom and cause a great deal of friction. THe fix was to

push them
back up and drive a nail in to the wooden shaft to prevent the

diffting down

I think Phisherman had the real fix. Take the thing out and pitch it.