Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Furnace Thermocouples

I have Carrier gas furnaces in the house, one upstairs, one
downstairs. Home was built in 1990. They eat thermocouples, which
are apparently the devices that keep the pilot light lit. Three have
failed in the last few years and low and behold, the upstairs has
failed again. By failure, I mean the pilot light won't stay lit. Any
explanation or solution to the recurring problem? Looking at the part
from previous replacements, looks like a do it yourself job to
replace. I've done major automotive work so it doesn't seem too
intimidating to me, just awkward to get to.

I've also had to replace the circuit boards a number of times over the
years at $300+ per pop and other parts like ignitors and capacitors.
Since when are furnaces as reliable as a 1987 Pontiac? Needless to
say if I ever have to replace them they won't be Carriers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 30, 7:43 am, smcjensen wrote:
I have Carrier gas furnaces in the house, one upstairs, one
downstairs. Home was built in 1990. They eat thermocouples, which
are apparently the devices that keep the pilot light lit. Three have
failed in the last few years and low and behold, the upstairs has
failed again. By failure, I mean the pilot light won't stay lit. Any
explanation or solution to the recurring problem? Looking at the part
from previous replacements, looks like a do it yourself job to
replace. I've done major automotive work so it doesn't seem too
intimidating to me, just awkward to get to.

I've also had to replace the circuit boards a number of times over the
years at $300+ per pop and other parts like ignitors and capacitors.
Since when are furnaces as reliable as a 1987 Pontiac? Needless to
say if I ever have to replace them they won't be Carriers.

Yup, bad batch. I had the same thing happed to me with some Honeywell
TC's, the repair guy finally gave up and sent their whole inventory
back to Honeywell. Current one is 6 years old.

Posted to alt.home.repair

smcjensen wrote:
I have Carrier gas furnaces in the house, one upstairs, one
downstairs. Home was built in 1990. They eat thermocouples, which
are apparently the devices that keep the pilot light lit. Three have
failed in the last few years and low and behold, the upstairs has
failed again. By failure, I mean the pilot light won't stay lit. Any
explanation or solution to the recurring problem? Looking at the part
from previous replacements, looks like a do it yourself job to
replace. I've done major automotive work so it doesn't seem too
intimidating to me, just awkward to get to.

That is a lot of thermocouples to replace in a short time. They are
easy to replace, just make sure you screw them in properly and set the
pilot flame correctly. There is no need to have a large pilot light
flame, just enough to touch the thermocouple so that it works. Perhaps
the current flame is too high or the contact for the thermocouple in the
valve is corroded?

I've also had to replace the circuit boards a number of times over the
years at $300+ per pop and other parts like ignitors and capacitors.
Since when are furnaces as reliable as a 1987 Pontiac? Needless to
say if I ever have to replace them they won't be Carriers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 12:43:38 -0000, smcjensen
wrote:

I have Carrier gas furnaces in the house, one upstairs, one
downstairs. Home was built in 1990. They eat thermocouples, which
are apparently the devices that keep the pilot light lit. Three have
failed in the last few years and low and behold, the upstairs has
failed again. By failure, I mean the pilot light won't stay lit. Any
explanation or solution to the recurring problem? Looking at the part
from previous replacements, looks like a do it yourself job to
replace. I've done major automotive work so it doesn't seem too
intimidating to me, just awkward to get to.

I've also had to replace the circuit boards a number of times over the
years at $300+ per pop and other parts like ignitors and capacitors.
Since when are furnaces as reliable as a 1987 Pontiac? Needless to
say if I ever have to replace them they won't be Carriers.

I am just curious, with the effiency of todays systems why you would
keep throwing your money at something that is 12 years old and has a
standing pilot? No offense but that is just dumb.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Did I miss something or are you having trouble with arithmetic this
morning? OP's house is 17 years old.

As far as throwing it away and buying new, I'm in the camp who says keep
it and fix it correctly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Depending on the chimney condition, he may need a standing pilot.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

No offense taken although replacing 12 year old furnaces sounds dumb
to me. High efficiency furnaces are not cheap.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Zyp Zyp is offline

wrote:

[...]

Cheaper than you think.