Posted to alt.home.repair

Default brad nailer, hardwood floor install

I'm about to lay a hardwood floor. Choices include glue or nailing. I
have a Milwaukee brad nailer. Will this work or do I really need to rent
a flooring nailer?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 30, 8:17 am, franz frippl wrote:
I'm about to lay a hardwood floor. Choices include glue or nailing. I
have a Milwaukee brad nailer. Will this work or do I really need to rent
a flooring nailer?

I did maple floors with walnut inlays about eight years ago. In some
of the spots where I couldn't get a good swing with the nailer, I used
a trim nailer, bigger nails than a brad nailer but not so big as a
framing nailer and definitely smaller than the nails that come out of
a flooring nailer. I've had no problems at all with the floor staying
in place and that's with three kids, moving grand pianos across the
floors, etc. Keep in mind, however, that the spots where I couldn't
swing the hammer are not the highest traffic spots but I don't see any
problem with it at all. If this is solid wood flooring, I don't know
that you can glue it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"franz frippl" wrote in message
et...
I'm about to lay a hardwood floor. Choices include glue or nailing. I
have a Milwaukee brad nailer. Will this work or do I really need to rent
a flooring nailer?

Depends. How long do you want it to last? Couple of weeks?

Posted to alt.home.repair

franz frippl wrote:
I'm about to lay a hardwood floor. Choices include glue or
nailing. I have a Milwaukee brad nailer. Will this work or do I
really need to rent a flooring nailer?

If you are talking about 3/4" wood, the "nails" used to nail it are
serrated cleats. Rent the nailer and use them.
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...minate.com/ima
ges/FN4_1.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.naildominate.com/products.htm&h=244
&w=326&sz=10&hl=en&start=4&um=1&tbnid=OWiB7XgPFcfU TM:&tbnh=88&tbnw=118
&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dflooring%2Bnails%26svnum%3D10%26um%3D 1%26hl%3Den%2
6sa%3DN

For the boards that have to be face fastened, use countersunk screws
and fill hole with face grain plugs (unless you like looking at putty
filled nail holes).

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 30 Oct, 08:50, smcjensen wrote:
[...]

How many grand pianos do you own? ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

According to dadiOH :
For the boards that have to be face fastened, use countersunk screws
and fill hole with face grain plugs (unless you like looking at putty
filled nail holes).

It's what baseboard is for - hiding the row of face-nails.
--
Chris Lewis,