Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Home Project - Finishing Basement

Does anyone know what's the going rate for finishing a basement per sqft? I thought about doing it myself as a DIY project, but lately I got busy at work and I am exploring options to hire experienced and licensed general contractors for the home project.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 30 Oct, 07:10, breanna breanna_h5h[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:
Does anyone know what's the going rate for finishing a basement per sqft? I thought about doing it myself as a DIY project, but lately I got busy at work and I am exploring options to hire experienced and licensed general contractors for the home project.

Way too many options/variables to even begin to estimate a per sqft
cost.

Honolulu or Buffalo?

Wet or Dry?

1 room or 3?

Pine or Oak?

Bathroom? Wetbar? Media room?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"breanna" wrote in message

Does anyone know what's the going rate for finishing a basement per sqft?
I thought about doing it myself as a DIY project, but lately I got busy at
work and I am exploring options to hire experienced and licensed general
contractors for the home project.

Breanna, many questions so for some 'basics' can I make some assumptions?
First one is that the basement is totally dry. If its not, you have a
completely different cost factor and it can be quite a bit.

To build a room in my area (basements arent an option, too wet as ground
water table farly high), 38,000 if have existing ceiling and need studs etc
replaced. This includes everything though from ground up and 3 exterior
code spec walls, with 2 windows.

If the basement doesnt have windows but is up enough you can add some,
figure at least 2,000$ for a small one. Its expensive to make them in solid
cinderblock.

Walls, non load bearing, with 1 outlet (second assumption, your house has
enough spare at the breaker box to not need replacement but allow more
circuits), 12ft stretch. 1,000$ last time we checked that out. Probably
more like 2,000$ now? (3rd assumption, you will build without trying to
remove any load bearing posts that exist now and adapt your room sizes to
fit those though you may have one of them inside a non-load bearing wall
just fine).

Floor, assumption 4 is you have a fairly eyeball flat cement one with a
smooth surface. Those sticky tiles or linoleum will work well. Put a rug
over them and you will look nice enough. prices radically vary on
installtion. I'd actually DIY with a cut to fit indoor/outdoor carpet which
wont mind being put right on the cement- normally 1-3$ a sqft. Indoor
outdoor as it wont mind minor dampness. Several of them look much like a
short berber.

Dropped tile ceiling, with running the frame from the 'overhead beams' runs
about 500$ for a 10x10 area last time we did it (8 years ago). I'm not sure
if that was a good price or a bad one as our in-laws had it done for us for
Xmas.

Framing at least one door in (check your building codes, might require 2
egresses such as 2 doors, or a window of a certain size and height and a
door), local specs we got on the enclosure rebuild were 500$ from one
fellow, and 1,500 from another.

Other than the electrics and plumbing, I've done this myself (with my
brother and sister) in 1972. I have no idea what Mom paid for the materials
but we did finish off 900sqft and sold the house later for 35,000$ more just
on that alone back in 1975. The most expensive part was the bathroom as we
had to have the drain lines run which I seem to recall we did with a raised
floor and had to put it in a particular spot to access the outside lines to
the street for sewer disposal. My memory of the specifics on that are a
little vague as most was contracted out for the plumbing. Estimate at least
15,000$ for a bathroom because the lines have to be run.

basement finishing Gary Home Repair 1 August 11th 07 08:48 PM
Help, finishing basement MW Home Repair 12 May 2nd 07 04:34 PM
Gluing up pieces of project AFTER finishing Greg Guarino Woodworking 8 June 1st 06 11:02 PM
finishing my basement [email protected] Home Repair 6 September 14th 05 07:15 PM
bi-level home and finishing basement Jaxx Home Repair 3 January 10th 05 03:18 PM