Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Buffet

About 10 years ago I purchased a beautiful buffett at an
estate auction. It's only defect is that the side trim
on the top must have come loose at some point and was
glued back on, but it sliped about a 16th of an inch.
Since I seem to be the only one who notices it, I left
alone out of fear of marring the surface.

But I'd like to repair it, but am not sure as to separate
that part of the trim that slipped withour damaging the
buffet.

Any ideas?

Dick
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 29, 8:50 pm, (Dick Adams) wrote:
About 10 years ago I purchased a beautiful buffett at an
estate auction. It's only defect is that the side trim
on the top must have come loose at some point and was
glued back on, but it sliped about a 16th of an inch.
Since I seem to be the only one who notices it, I left
alone out of fear of marring the surface.

But I'd like to repair it, but am not sure as to separate
that part of the trim that slipped without damaging the
buffet.

Any ideas?

Dick

Dick-

I guess I'm inclined to ask:

Cost of quality vs cost of non-conformance............

that is, will you do more harm by attempting a fix rathaer than just
living with it as is?

Any idea as to the type of glue? How firm is the bond?

I hear you about the fix being sub-optimal (& I'd be inclined to
attempt a re-repair) but is it worth the risk?

You "might" be able to steam the glue off but.............

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

BobK207 wrote:
(Dick Adams) wrote:

About 10 years ago I purchased a beautiful buffett at an
estate auction. It's only defect is that the side trim
on the top must have come loose at some point and was
glued back on, but it sliped about a 16th of an inch.
Since I seem to be the only one who notices it, I left
alone out of fear of marring the surface.

But I'd like to repair it, but am not sure as to separate
that part of the trim that slipped without damaging the
buffet.

Any ideas?

Dick-

I guess I'm inclined to ask:
Cost of quality vs cost of non-conformance............
that is, will you do more harm by attempting a fix
rather than just living with it as is?

Bob, you and I are on the same page. I want to fix
it, but given its quality, why take the risk?

Any idea as to the type of glue? How firm is the bond?

Absolutely clueless as to type of glue. Since the repair
is pretty sloppy, I suspect household repair glue. As to
the bond - this is the first time I noticed it was
separating

You "might" be able to steam the glue off but.............

The glue may have been on there for 20-30 years for
all I know.

Dick

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dick Adams wrote:
BobK207 wrote:
(Dick Adams) wrote:

[...]

If the thing is small enough to fit in your vehicle, and you have enough
people around to lift it, I'd take it to the local furniture
repair/refinish place for a parking lot consultation. They deal with
stuff like this all the time on pieces they are refinishing. I have one
local guy I used several times, and his prices are surprisingly cheap.
YMMV, of course.

aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dick Adams wrote:

About 10 years ago I purchased a beautiful buffett at an
estate auction. It's only defect is that the side trim
on the top must have come loose at some point and was
glued back on, but it sliped about a 16th of an inch.
Since I seem to be the only one who notices it, I left
alone out of fear of marring the surface.

But I'd like to repair it, but am not sure as to separate
that part of the trim that slipped withour damaging the
buffet.

Any ideas?

Dick

Does it have veneer on the top? If so, probably best left alone. If
you can get something very thin - like a razor blade of sharp knive -
under the edge, you may be able to slide it along, prying off the trim
without cracking or scratching.

refinishing the top of an oak buffet kariecarico Woodworking 1 November 6th 06 07:57 PM
WINE BUFFET - PDF J T Woodworking 0 May 30th 06 05:58 AM
Warren Buffet Buys Iscar Martin H. Eastburn Metalworking 0 May 15th 06 06:47 AM
pine buffet gmpatti Woodworking 16 September 13th 04 06:54 PM
Plans for a Buffet (part of Hutch and Buffet) Kris Woodworking 0 December 29th 03 01:34 AM