Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Toilet Installation - American Standard Cadet 3

I installed an American Standard Cadet 3 toilet. Works fine, but the
gasket that came with is the softer sponge type. Because of the wider
(3") tank-to-bowl opening, there are only 2 bolts, one on each side of
the tank. Because there is no bolt in the back, when I turn the nuts
on the bolts, the tank doesn't seat evenly front-to-back. As a
result, the tank is tilted a little toward the front. The back of the
bowl has ridges on which the tank is supposed to seat, and I have not
quite reached the front ridge.

I am reluctant to continue because of the crackling sound as I tighten
the bolts. The guy at Lowes said he has installed several of these
toilets, and you can continue to crank on the bolts until you are
porcelain on porcelain. He said he has heard the sound and it can
make you nervous, but the bowl won't crack unless you are cranking
down whrn the tank and bowl are touching.

He also said that the front part of the tank will touch the front
seating ridge first, and that I should continue to tighten. He said
that the back will automatically level if I keep tightening, but that
I have to stop once the back touches.

I know the gasket has a lot more ploy in it, but I have never
installed one of these before. Does anyone have experience with this
particular toilet?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Try pushing down on the top of the tank on each side as you tighten the
bolts, If you cannot get there like that ask the gentleman at Lowes if the
tank breaks will they supply a new one becuse it will. I always leave just a
slight bit of play I mean a millameter incase of expansion and contraction
due to water tempature. Good luck
oups.com...