Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Concrete Pad

I need to pour a concrete pad 4X4 ft to set a ramp to a dock on. The
pad will be in a very steep dirt bank with tree roots. About how deep
should it be and should one use re bar or wire mesh?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bobby wrote:

I need to pour a concrete pad 4X4 ft to set a ramp to a dock on. The
pad will be in a very steep dirt bank with tree roots. About how deep
should it be and should one use re bar or wire mesh?

I have no experience in doing this- but I think you'll need to expand
a bit if you want real help. . .

Riverbank, lake bank, pond bank? Maine or Florida? Sand, Gravel,
clay? Want it to last a year- or 50?

What purpose will it really be serving? as an anchor to the dock, or
a sundeck?

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 29, 1:52 pm, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
Bobby wrote:
I need to pour a concrete pad 4X4 ft to set a ramp to a dock on. The
pad will be in a very steep dirt bank with tree roots. About how deep
should it be and should one use re bar or wire mesh?

I have no experience in doing this- but I think you'll need to expand
a bit if you want real help. . .

Riverbank, lake bank, pond bank? Maine or Florida? Sand, Gravel,
clay? Want it to last a year- or 50?

What purpose will it really be serving? as an anchor to the dock, or
a sundeck?

Jim

The pad I need to form is to support the end of a ramp that goes to
the dock. The ramp is 60 feet long from the lake bank and about15ft
higher than the water.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bobby wrote:
I need to pour a concrete pad 4X4 ft to set a ramp to a dock on. The
pad will be in a very steep dirt bank with tree roots. About how deep
should it be and should one use re bar or wire mesh?

I have no experience in doing this- but I think you'll need to expand
a bit if you want real help. . .

Riverbank, lake bank, pond bank? Maine or Florida? Sand, Gravel,
clay? Want it to last a year- or 50?

What purpose will it really be serving? as an anchor to the dock, or
a sundeck?

Jim

The pad I need to form is to support the end of a ramp that goes to
the dock. The ramp is 60 feet long from the lake bank and about15ft
higher than the water.

I should think that the edges should be 8 inches deep and the rest 4
inches thick.
This assumes there is no need to deal with frost heave.
A #4 bar laid in the thickened edge would be a good idea with tree
roots in the area.
A long ramp may need a thickened slab with a piece of reinforcing at
the foot.