Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Rheostat with a Gable Fan?

I have a gable fan that is very loud. I'd like to slow it down via a
rheostat/potentiometer. Is this possible? Is it advisable? If so,
can anyone suggest a rheostat that is adequate for the job?

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ToddP" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a gable fan that is very loud. I'd like to slow it down via a
rheostat/potentiometer. Is this possible? Is it advisable? If so,
can anyone suggest a rheostat that is adequate for the job?

It is going to depend on the type of motor used in the fan.

Don't try a light "dimmer". They are not designed for motor control.

Is it direct drive, or belt driven? If belt driven, you could change pulley
sizes to change the speed.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ToddP" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have a gable fan that is very loud. I'd like to slow it down via a
rheostat/potentiometer. Is this possible? Is it advisable? If so,
can anyone suggest a rheostat that is adequate for the job?

TIA

Many fractional HP motors can be controlled by a rheostat, similar to a
light dimmer switch. Be sure you have one that can handle the HP of hte
motor.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 29, 12:59 pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
"ToddP" wrote in message

ups.com...

I have a gable fan that is very loud. I'd like to slow it down via a
rheostat/potentiometer. Is this possible? Is it advisable? If so,
can anyone suggest a rheostat that is adequate for the job?

TIA

Many fractional HP motors can be controlled by a rheostat, similar to a
light dimmer switch. Be sure you have one that can handle the HP of hte
motor.

Every AC motor that would be used in a gable fan that I have ever seen
is fixed speed and determined by the freq of the AC source driving
it. You can't slow it down by lowering the voltage with a rheostat,
which wouldn't be very good idea to begin with. You;d just be
dissipating energy as heat.

Either get a quiet new fan or maybe switch to a passive ridge vent
system.

Electric motor & rheostat to vary blower speed? darro@no_email.com Home Repair 2 September 10th 06 03:24 AM
Gable Fan? CFster Home Repair 6 January 29th 06 07:20 PM
Gable Fan? CFster Home Ownership 1 January 29th 06 03:45 PM
rheostat with router/ effective? [email protected] Woodworking 6 October 3rd 05 03:09 PM
What is this generator component? Rheostat? Leon Heller Metalworking 14 December 6th 04 11:58 PM