Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Gutter Filter that may work on small Pine / Fi needles...?

I expect that the efficiency and efficacy of the various gutter / leaf
guards depends upon where you are and hat kind of tree debris you get.

I'm in Portland, OR. We get big leaf maple leaves, alder leaves, some
oak leaves, but more d@*N
Douglas fir needles than you'd believe.

Over 30 years in this house I've used at least four different gutter
guard type
products, all of which were utter failures with the Doug fir needles,
which filled
the gutters in no more than 60 days. I could have been cleaning the
gutters 6
times a year if I was that ambitious, and I wasn't. Three times a year was
more than enough for me.

Last year (Spring 2006) I found something that worked. No, I don't
manufacture
the stuff; I don't distribute it, I don't retail it, and other than on
my own house, I
don't install it.

I did test it for about 16 months by installing it on the back of the
garage, to see how
it worked. It worked very well. Its not absolutely perfect. Some
stuff still gets into
the gutters, but I believe its less than 5% of what used to
accumulate. I've only had
to clean that gutter once in the 16 months, and it was no where near
full.
It used to fill up to the top of the gutter with the Doug fir stuff, and
made a great
growing medium for dandelions and other cute stuff.

Its a white 3 foot long PVC product about 6 inches wide with a cross
hatched PVC
base with 3/8 - 1/2 holes in the base. Over it, and heres the key for
the fir needles,
is a white PVC screen that has maybe 1/8" holes. Water drops through,
and drains
through the gutter. The crud collects on top of the screen, dries, and
the wind blows
most of it off.

It installs by sliding one flat end under the lowest shingle row and
snapping a
flange kind of thing over the front lip of the gutter.

The first batch I bought were at a local Lowes for $ 1.97 a three foot
section. First
batch had a label on it identifying it as a "Snap In Gutter Filter",
made by a company
called "Gutter World", no web site or street / city/ address on it. I
used white,
but they had them in brown, too. "Made in U.S.A." on the label. The
product
UPC on the first batch was: 0 17857 00461 7. No patent number on the
label or
the product.

After last weekend's check of the test batch at the back of the garage
decided to do
the garage front and the front of the house. Went back to Lowe's, they
still had the
things. but with a slightly different label, but still identical art
work, indicating the
manufacturer to be Amerimax Home Products, Inc.; still no website
listed, still no
city, street address or state. Still "Made in the U.S.A." Does have a
different
product UPC, now being 0 49821 86270 1. Still called "Snap In Gutter
Filter".
Again, no patent number on the label or the product. I got the white again;
they still had the brown, too.

And best of all, the 3 foot strip is now $ 1.47. Less than $ 15.00 bucks
for the
garage front is a real good number in my book. The 60' front of the house,
which is tomorrow's project after I empty the damn gutter this
afternoon, will
run less than $ 45.00.

I noticed no deterioration in the PVC on the test batch. Apparently no
ultraviolet
effect in the 16 months those have been up. Then again, this is the west
side of
the Cascades, so we only get sun on July 17, except when its raining, as it
was this year. (G)

I did the install on the 30' foot width of the front of the garage in
about 10 minutes
this morning. It took a lot longer than that to clean the damn gutter.

Just my $ 0.02.
YMMV.
No guarantees.
Might be worth trying a test strip on one gutter if you are plagued with
fir or
pine needles.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

Leaf guard gutter work well with NC pines and hardwoods in NC and also on
Long Island with large oak trees. I can say both from experience.

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
I would like to compliment the OP for providing some good advice and
recognizing that this kind of product seems to be very problem specific.
That is one that works great with one type of leaf often fails with others
and I know of no one type that really works well with all forms of debris.

. ..

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

Art wrote:
Leaf guard gutter work well with NC pines and hardwoods in NC and also on
Long Island with large oak trees. I can say both from experience.

What did the brand name Leaf Guard system cost you per linear foot in
each installation (NC and Lon Gisland (former Hempstead / Uniondale kid
here)?

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message

I would like to compliment the OP for providing some good advice and
recognizing that this kind of product seems to be very problem specific.
That is one that works great with one type of leaf often fails with others
and I know of no one type that really works well with all forms of debris.

"jJim McLaughlin" wrote in message
m...

I expect that the efficiency and efficacy of the various gutter / leaf
guards depends upon where you are and hat kind of tree debris you get.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 30, 10:32 am, jJim McLaughlin
wrote:
Art wrote:
[...]

Dia 's Muire duit- Hide quoted text -

Also a product of mention is Gutter Helmet. It works for all debris
and has a wonderful lifetime transferable warranty

NEEDLES J T Woodworking 0 April 23rd 07 06:12 AM
Gutter Covers - Think these will work? DerbyDad03 Home Repair 16 February 2nd 07 01:36 AM
A/C filter too small... [email protected] Home Repair 3 June 4th 06 05:40 AM
Small Shop - will it work . . . Steve DeMars Woodworking 22 August 10th 05 05:30 PM
Gutter covers - anything work? RichK Home Repair 16 July 3rd 05 08:37 PM