Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to Hang large extension ladder on Garage Wall?

Hi All - Does anyone know the best way or what type of bracker/hanger
to hang a heavy duty extension ladder (12ft closed, weighs around 50lbs
+) on a garage wall which is sheet rock. The only thing I came across
are these types of hangers (see link), but they don't seem to give
much support. These would presumably just go in the sheet rock because
I could not manually screw these into a stud and I would be afraid
they would tear out over time and come crashing down on my auto. Any
other recommendations would be most appreciated.

http://hardware.gillroys.com/Residen...R-s251313.html

Thanks for all your help.
Regards.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

I'm sure you can find something similar designed for an extension ladder.
You do need to locate the studs in the wall, and attach them in the center

"Atari26004Fun" wrote in message
ps.com...
Hi All - Does anyone know the best way or what type of bracker/hanger
to hang a heavy duty extension ladder (12ft closed, weighs around 50lbs
+) on a garage wall which is sheet rock. The only thing I came across
are these types of hangers (see link), but they don't seem to give
much support. These would presumably just go in the sheet rock because
I could not manually screw these into a stud and I would be afraid
they would tear out over time and come crashing down on my auto. Any
other recommendations would be most appreciated.

http://hardware.gillroys.com/Residen...R-s251313.html

Thanks for all your help.
Regards.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 28, 9:55 am, "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:
I'm sure you can find something similar designed for an extension ladder.
You do need to locate the studs in the wall, and attach them in the center

"Atari26004Fun" wrote in message

ps.com...

Hi All - Does anyone know the best way or what type of bracker/hanger
to hang a heavy duty extension ladder (12ft closed, weighs around 50lbs
+) on a garage wall which is sheet rock. The only thing I came across
are these types of hangers (see link), but they don't seem to give
much support. These would presumably just go in the sheet rock because
I could not manually screw these into a stud and I would be afraid
they would tear out over time and come crashing down on my auto. Any
other recommendations would be most appreciated.

http://hardware.gillroys.com/Residen...e_hooks/LADDER...

Thanks for all your help.
Regards.

Thanks RBM....I guess I would need to locate & install on studs for
anything that heavy. Thanks for the advice.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I could not manually screw these into a stud and I would be afraid

Uh, drill a pilot hole?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 28, 10:48 am, Atari26004Fun wrote:
Hi All - Does anyone know the best way or what type of bracker/hanger
to hang a heavy duty extension ladder (12ft closed, weighs around 50lbs
+) on a garage wall which is sheet rock. The only thing I came across
are these types of hangers (see link), but they don't seem to give
much support. These would presumably just go in the sheet rock because
I could not manually screw these into a stud and I would be afraid
they would tear out over time and come crashing down on my auto. Any
other recommendations would be most appreciated.

http://hardware.gillroys.com/Residen...e_hooks/LADDER...

Thanks for all your help.
Regards.

First, there is no reason you can't screws the brackets in the link
into a stud. That's how they are designed to be used. Pre-drill a hole
with a bit no larger than the body of the threaded portion - i.e. the
diameter of the shaft not included the threads. If need be, when it
gets too tight for you to continue screwing by hand, use a couple of
pieces of wood clamped (or just held) onto the bent portion near the
threads to give you more leverage.

Second, I've been hanging my 28' aluminum extension lader on the style
of bracket shown here for 20+ years: http://tinyurl.com/377xh7

They are very easy to attach to the studs and you don't have to lift
the ladder over the ends of the brackets like the one's in your link.
The heavy duty style are certainly strong enough. In fact for about 15
years I also had a 10' wooden ladder hung on the same pair of
brackets. The ones I use are about 8" along the wall and 12" for the
vertical.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Atari26004Fun wrote:

Hi All - Does anyone know the best way or what type of bracker/hanger
to hang a heavy duty extension ladder (12ft closed, weighs around 50lbs
+) on a garage wall which is sheet rock.

The bigbox stores sell ladder brackets for a couple of bucks each that do not
require direct screwing into a stud.
http://www.amazon.com/LeHigh-Crawford-Storage-Hanger-GSH/dp/B0009WG6MU/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-8702094-7895942?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1193585479&sr=1-1

The only thing I came across
are these types of hangers (see link), but they don't seem to give
much support. These would presumably just go in the sheet rock because
I could not manually screw these into a stud and I would be afraid
they would tear out over time and come crashing down on my auto.

The hanger you provided a link for absolutely must be screwed into a stud. There
are others that do not.

Assuming the sheetrock is properly mounted, there are sheetrock fasteners that
are rated for up to 50 pounds each. Considering that each hanger takes two
fasteners, if you have a 50 pound ladder on four hangers, you're talking just
over 6 pounds per fastener. That's hardly overstressing the sheetrock.

Any other recommendations would be most appreciated.

Something like this would also work:
http://www.drdcorp.com/handy-hooker/ladder_hanger.htm

If you don't know how secure the sheet rock is, you'll need to get a stud finder
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=92375 and
mount the hangers to the studs.

--
"Tell me what I should do, Annie."
"Stay. Here. Forever." - Life On Mars
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 28, 10:32 am, Rick Blaine wrote:
Atari26004Fun wrote:
[...]

Thanks DerbyDad and Rick - That's exactly the kind of advice/
assistance I was looking for. Very Helpful and will go with that type
of bracket DerbyDad mounted to the studs. (better than "Uh, drill a
pilot hole?") Regards and thanks again.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 28, 11:32 am, Rick Blaine wrote:
Atari26004Fun wrote:
[...]

This is true once the load is static, but it is not always easy to
gently lower a 50 pound item evenly across all hangers. If I were to
use a hangers that were not attached to a stud (which I wouldn't) I
would ensure that I used hangers that could withstand an accidental
dropping of the ladder onto the brackets.

Of course, no one (not even me) has mentioned the fact that the OP
might have metal studs. If that's the case, then many of the stud-
based brackets that were suggested will not work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Atari26004Fun" wrote in message
ps.com...
Hi All - Does anyone know the best way or what type of bracker/hanger
to hang a heavy duty extension ladder (12ft closed, weighs around 50lbs
+) on a garage wall which is sheet rock. The only thing I came across
are these types of hangers (see link), but they don't seem to give
much support. These would presumably just go in the sheet rock because
I could not manually screw these into a stud and I would be afraid
they would tear out over time and come crashing down on my auto. Any
other recommendations would be most appreciated.

http://hardware.gillroys.com/Residen...R-s251313.html

Thanks for all your help.
Regards.

All my wall spaces in the garage are used - too much junk and tools. The
only way was to hang it flat to the ceiling. First in is the heavy 32' than
the 24' below and than a shorter one below that as well. I've build a cage
out of 2x4s attached to the ceiling joists for the 32' than the other two
ladders are attached to the 32'.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Atari26004Fun" wrote in message
ps.com...

Thanks DerbyDad and Rick - That's exactly the kind of advice/
assistance I was looking for. Very Helpful and will go with that type
of bracket DerbyDad mounted to the studs. (better than "Uh, drill a
pilot hole?") Regards and thanks again.

I don't think the shelf brackets you are thinking of using (the DerbtDad
type) will look as good as the ones you shown in the picture you posted. I
have them in my house. They look better and they work well. Just screw
them into the wooden studs.

I don't know what would be good if you have metal studs -- maybe some kind
of hollow wall fastened that are made for that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 28, 12:09 pm, "BETA-32" wrote:
"Atari26004Fun" wrote in message

ps.com...

Thanks DerbyDad and Rick - That's exactly the kind of advice/
assistance I was looking for. Very Helpful and will go with that type
of bracket DerbyDad mounted to the studs. (better than "Uh, drill a
pilot hole?") Regards and thanks again.

I don't think the shelf brackets you are thinking of using (the DerbtDad
type) will look as good as the ones you shown in the picture you posted. I
have them in my house. They look better and they work well. Just screw
them into the wooden studs.

I don't know what would be good if you have metal studs -- maybe some kind
of hollow wall fastened that are made for that.

The brackets won't "look as good"?

Oh, that's must be the reason the Fine Living Channel rejected my
house from it's Showcase of Homes. I used an ugly bracket to hang my
frigging ladder. Damn, and I was so close!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
ups.com...

The brackets won't "look as good"?

Oh, that's must be the reason the Fine Living Channel rejected my
house from it's Showcase of Homes. I used an ugly bracket to hang my
frigging ladder. Damn, and I was so close!

Don't you watch TV? Haven't you seen shows like Stage This House? Just
imagine -- remove unsightly old brackets in garage; replace with sightly
ladder hanging brackets for only a few dollars; added value to the house
$1,000. :-)

Okay, I confess. I watch those shows for the women hosts and watching them
"getting down and dirty" supposedly helping do the construction while
wearing fashion outfits and high heals.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Atari26004Fun wrote:
Hi All - Does anyone know the best way or what type of bracker/hanger
to hang a heavy duty extension ladder (12ft closed, weighs around
50lbs +) on a garage wall which is sheet rock. The only thing I came
across are these types of hangers (see link), but they don't seem to
give much support. These would presumably just go in the sheet rock
because I could not manually screw these into a stud and I would be
afraid they would tear out over time and come crashing down on my
auto. Any other recommendations would be most appreciated.

http://hardware.gillroys.com/Residen...R-s251313.html

Thanks for all your help.
Regards.

Mount a 12' 1x2 to the sheetrock with a ****-load of toggle bolts. Then
screw into the 1x2 whatever hangers you need.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Atari26004Fun" wrote in message
ps.com...
Hi All - Does anyone know the best way or what type of bracker/hanger
to hang a heavy duty extension ladder (12ft closed, weighs around 50lbs
+) on a garage wall which is sheet rock. The only thing I came across
are these types of hangers (see link), but they don't seem to give

How about hanging it from the ceiling? That's what I did with my 16'
extension ladder. I'm 6' 1" tall so reaching the 8' ceiling is not much of
a stretch.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve Barker" wrote:

Nothing will hold in sheetrock alone.

Sorry - quite a bit can safety be hung on sheetrock alone...

--
"Tell me what I should do, Annie."
"Stay. Here. Forever." - Life On Mars
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 07:48:51 -0700, Atari26004Fun
wrote:

Hi All - Does anyone know the best way or what type of bracker/hanger
to hang a heavy duty extension ladder (12ft closed, weighs around 50lbs
+) on a garage wall which is sheet rock. The only thing I came across
are these types of hangers (see link), but they don't seem to give
much support. These would presumably just go in the sheet rock because
I could not manually screw these into a stud and I would be afraid
they would tear out over time and come crashing down on my auto. Any
other recommendations would be most appreciated.

http://hardware.gillroys.com/Residen...R-s251313.html

Thanks for all your help.
Regards.

Home-built ladder hooks

I'm a heavy-duty type III 32-foot extension ladder owner. Put the
ladder against the wall where you want to hang it. Find three stud
locations on the wall that fall best-centered between the rungs.

From (3 pine 8') 2x4s construct three of these:

|--/
| /
|/

The triangle needs to fit between the ladder sides. And lag bolt them
into the studs. Two will hold the ladder just fine, but three allows
one bracket to fail and still hold the ladder. These home-made hooks
are much stronger than the Gilroy's hooks, plus the extra 2x4 above
and below will help protect the wall from being banged up as you
get/put your ladder.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 28, 7:48 am, Atari26004Fun wrote:
Hi All - Does anyone know the best way or what type of bracker/hanger
to hang a heavy duty extension ladder (12ft closed, weighs around 50lbs
+) on a garage wall which is sheet rock. The only thing I came across
are these types of hangers (see link), but they don't seem to give
much support. These would presumably just go in the sheet rock because
I could not manually screw these into a stud and I would be afraid
they would tear out over time and come crashing down on my auto. Any
other recommendations would be most appreciated.

http://hardware.gillroys.com/Residen...e_hooks/LADDER...

Thanks for all your help.
Regards.

Read the whole thread - lots of good info. One thing missing - the
sensible way.

Of course this works only if you are not worried about thieves.

I borrowed a 24' from a buddy. He had it hanging in his garage and,
as is normal for all places with hooks, there was the ladder and all
sorts of other junk hung on top of it.

It now resides at my place until he needs it. Where? Hung on the
outside back of the garage under the eaves. Out of the way, out of
the weather and nothing is ever likely to be hung on top of it. Also
easy to get to as opposed to wrestling it out of a garage.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair
cln cln is offline

I have two of these hooks and they work fine in my garage. Ladder is
20'+.
If you're still worried i'd use this before the shelf bracket.

Find your (wood) studs and your 100% fine.

Using the closet or shelf brackets might bend or let you ladder slip
off the hooks and onto your car. YA YA you can modify them but why not
use the Ladder hooks you found... that's what they were ment to be
used on.

If i'm not mistaken, the black ones are a little foamy compared to the
rubber ones. Some might be a bigger shank or thread.
look for the SWL (safe working load).

Posted to alt.home.repair
MLD MLD is offline

I put up some peg board and then used hooks that attached to the peg board.
The advantage going this way is that you get to pick exactly where you want
to hang the ladder plus being able to utilize the peg board for other
things.
MLD
"HeyBub" wrote in message
Atari26004Fun wrote:
Hi All - Does anyone know the best way or what type of bracker/hanger
to hang a heavy duty extension ladder (12ft closed, weighs around
50lbs +) on a garage wall which is sheet rock. The only thing I came
across are these types of hangers (see link), but they don't seem to
give much support. These would presumably just go in the sheet rock
because I could not manually screw these into a stud and I would be
afraid they would tear out over time and come crashing down on my
auto. Any other recommendations would be most appreciated.

http://hardware.gillroys.com/Residen...R-s251313.html

Thanks for all your help.
Regards.

Mount a 12' 1x2 to the sheetrock with a ****-load of toggle bolts. Then
screw into the 1x2 whatever hangers you need.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 29 Oct, 10:22, cln wrote:
I have two of these hooks and they work fine in my garage. Ladder is
20'+.
If you're still worried i'd use this before the shelf bracket.

Find your (wood) studs and your 100% fine.

Using the closet or shelf brackets might bend or let you ladder slip
off the hooks and onto your car. YA YA you can modify them but why not
use the Ladder hooks you found... that's what they were ment to be
used on.

If i'm not mistaken, the black ones are a little foamy compared to the
rubber ones. Some might be a bigger shank or thread.
look for the SWL (safe working load).

shelf brackets might bend

Might, but it hasn't happened in the 20+ years that my 2 heavy duty
shelf brackets have been holding my 28' ladder, first in the garage
and now under the deck. I guess they *could* suddenly bend at any
moment, but I seriously doubt it.

or let you (sic) ladder slip off the hooks

Yes, if your house tilted. How else is it going to slip off?