DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Help With Frozen YKK Zipper? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/219019-help-frozen-ykk-zipper.html)

Dwight October 27th 07 08:03 PM

Help With Frozen YKK Zipper?

I have a duffel of cordura material with a heavy YKK zipper - looks like
an aluminum slider

It is frozen, possibly as a result of salt water.

Is there any solvent that might work without destroying the fabric?

Thanks in advance.

Dwight

Dwight October 29th 07 03:57 AM

Help With Frozen YKK Zipper?

Chuck wrote:
Dwight wrote:

I have a duffel of cordura material with a heavy YKK zipper - looks
like an aluminum slider

It is frozen, possibly as a result of salt water.

Is there any solvent that might work without destroying the fabric?

Thanks in advance.

Dwight

Try WD 40.

I have tried that, but no luck.

Thanks anyway.

Best

Tony Hwang October 29th 07 04:10 AM

Help With Frozen YKK Zipper?

Dwight wrote:
I have a duffel of cordura material with a heavy YKK zipper - looks like
an aluminum slider

It is frozen, possibly as a result of salt water.

Is there any solvent that might work without destroying the fabric?

Thanks in advance.

Dwight

Hi,
If salt water crystalized, blast of steam or soak in the hot water?

Doug Miller October 29th 07 05:02 PM

Help With Frozen YKK Zipper?

In article , Dwight wrote:
Chuck wrote:

Try WD 40.

I have tried that, but no luck.

Try PB Blaster instead. It works a *lot* better than WD40. You should be able
to find it at any auto parts store for about five bucks a can.

--
Regards,

jJim McLaughlin October 30th 07 04:41 PM

Help With Frozen YKK Zipper?

Dwight wrote:

I have a duffel of cordura material with a heavy YKK zipper - looks like
an aluminum slider

It is frozen, possibly as a result of salt water.

Is there any solvent that might work without destroying the fabric?

Thanks in advance.

Dwight

It won't destroy the fabric, but it might stain -- a silicon spray
used for lubing
aluminum sliding windows.

Maybe spray a lot into an old tin can, then use a
small artists' brush to apply right on the "slider" and the "track"
parts of the zipper,
working it into the area "under" the "sllder where it grips the "track",
on both
sides of the zipper.

You'll get better control of the application with a small artist's
type paint brush than you will with a spray nozzle.

HTH.