Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to Keep Mice Out Of My Boat This Winter

Do mothballs work? The boat is stored outdoors and
covered with a tarp. Last year I had a very severe problem
(for the first time- very cold late winter in NE.)
I had also thought of D-Con but there are lots of
nooks and crannies where they can go to die rather
than leaving the premises! Your thoughts?
Thanks!
Frank.

Posted to alt.home.repair

frank1492 wrote:

Do mothballs work? The boat is stored outdoors and
covered with a tarp. Last year I had a very severe problem
(for the first time- very cold late winter in NE.)
I had also thought of D-Con but there are lots of
nooks and crannies where they can go to die rather
than leaving the premises! Your thoughts?
Thanks!
Frank.

Hi,
Soak a few cotton balls in Peppermint oil and place the here and there.
Mice don't like the smell of it. Ypu can buy the oil in any health food
store. I find Japanese Mint oil very strong.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Looking at all these. I'd like to avoid the cost of a shrinkwrap.

On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 13:51:33 -0400, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:

A lot of people report good luck with mothballs. There are also people
who have reported no luck at all with them. I suspect those that report
good luck are reporting just that, "Good Luck" and not really "effect
product."

It should be noted that naphthalene and 1,4-dichlorobenzene (both are
used as mothballs) are both toxic to humans. They also would need to be
renewed and they might cause damage to some parts of your boat.

"frank1492" wrote in message
.. .
Do mothballs work? The boat is stored outdoors and
covered with a tarp. Last year I had a very severe problem
(for the first time- very cold late winter in NE.)
I had also thought of D-Con but there are lots of
nooks and crannies where they can go to die rather
than leaving the premises! Your thoughts?
Thanks!
Frank.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 19:43:07 GMT, frank1492
wrote:

Looking at all these. I'd like to avoid the cost of a shrinkwrap.

Leave the boat in the water; announce abandon ship :-/

"frank1492" wrote in message
. ..
Do mothballs work? The boat is stored outdoors and

--
Oren

"I wouldn't even be here if my support group hadn't beaten me up."

Posted to alt.home.repair

When it sarts to get cold the critters look for warm/sheltered spots to
winter over.

I would set traps (including glue traps) and poison. If your boat has
hidden places you might anticipate this and place a few feet on fiberglass
insulation batts. When you open your boat up again you will likely find
some dead mice inside.

"frank1492" wrote in message
Do mothballs work? The boat is stored outdoors and
covered with a tarp. Last year I had a very severe problem
(for the first time- very cold late winter in NE.)
I had also thought of D-Con but there are lots of
nooks and crannies where they can go to die rather
than leaving the premises! Your thoughts?
Thanks!
Frank.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The boat will be covered.

On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 11:28:47 -0500, Lar wrote:

frank1492 wrote:
Do mothballs work? The boat is stored outdoors and
covered with a tarp. Last year I had a very severe problem
(for the first time- very cold late winter in NE.)
I had also thought of D-Con but there are lots of
nooks and crannies where they can go to die rather
than leaving the premises! Your thoughts?
Thanks!
Frank.

Place several bait stations that protect the bait from weather and non
target animals around the boat and surrounding area. Bait blocks will be
more attractant than the D-Con and will be able to secure better in the
Bait Stations.

Lar

Posted to alt.home.repair

For what its worth - the local radio handyman-talk-show host insists mice
hate the smell of peppermint and a little peppermint oil mixed in water will
keep them away.

"frank1492" wrote in message
Do mothballs work? The boat is stored outdoors and
covered with a tarp. Last year I had a very severe problem
(for the first time- very cold late winter in NE.)
I had also thought of D-Con but there are lots of
nooks and crannies where they can go to die rather
than leaving the premises! Your thoughts?
Thanks!
Frank.

Mice in My Boat Cabin Last Winter frank1492 Home Repair 3 July 28th 07 05:18 PM
mice brianlanning Woodworking 42 February 5th 06 09:42 PM
Mice Bill UK diy 62 January 7th 05 07:23 PM
Re Re mice Paul Mc Cann UK diy 3 December 27th 04 01:02 PM
Sending mice on winter break! Tony Hayes UK diy 8 October 29th 03 07:44 PM