Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Who sells snowblowers (snow-throwers) in Michigan?

What are some names of big-box (and medium-box) stores in Michigan
(Detroit to Port-Huron area) that sell snowblowers?

Here in Ontario, nobody sells snowblowers in the $500 to $1100 price
range (which is a crock) so I'm going to buy one in Michigan. But to
do some comparative shopping either on the web or buy phone I need to
know who sells them.

Please post any responses (don't e-mail me).

Thanks.
Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

Some Guy wrote:
What are some names of big-box (and medium-box) stores in Michigan
(Detroit to Port-Huron area) that sell snowblowers?

Here in Ontario, nobody sells snowblowers in the $500 to $1100 price
range (which is a crock) so I'm going to buy one in Michigan. But to
do some comparative shopping either on the web or buy phone I need to
know who sells them.

Please post any responses (don't e-mail me).

Thanks.

Home Depot and Lowes sell them here in DE. Would imagine everyone sells
them further north.
Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

Frank wrote:

Some Guy wrote:

What are some names of big-box (and medium-box) stores in Michigan
(Detroit to Port-Huron area) that sell snowblowers?

Here in Ontario, nobody sells snowblowers in the $500 to $1100 price
range (which is a crock) so I'm going to buy one in Michigan. But to
do some comparative shopping either on the web or buy phone I need to
know who sells them.

Please post any responses (don't e-mail me).

Thanks.

Home Depot and Lowes sell them here in DE. Would imagine everyone sells
them further north.

Hmmm,
Why bother? Global warming. I haven't used mine in years. I just use
leaf blower to clear my drive way, LOL! Sears doesn't have it?
You don't have John Deere dealer around there?
from Calgary
Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

Tony Hwang wrote:

Why bother? Global warming. I haven't used mine in years. I just
use leaf blower to clear my drive way, LOL!

I live in the snow belt of SW-Ontario. We get lake-effect snow in the
winter.

Sears doesn't have it?
You don't have John Deere dealer around there?

I'm looking for a 28" to 36" (wide), 2-stage blower. 7 to 12 hp.

Nobody in Ontario is selling a blower like that for less than $1100.
They aren't selling anything in the $500 to $1100 price range. All
the stuff under $500 are the wimpy single-stage blowers.

A couple years ago I was able to get a 24", 7 (or 9?) hp sears blower
(2-stage) for $800. I should be able to get a 36", 12 hp blower for
that price today...
Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

on 10/27/2007 11:27 AM Some Guy said the following:
What are some names of big-box (and medium-box) stores in Michigan
(Detroit to Port-Huron area) that sell snowblowers?

Here in Ontario, nobody sells snowblowers in the $500 to $1100 price
range (which is a crock) so I'm going to buy one in Michigan. But to
do some comparative shopping either on the web or buy phone I need to
know who sells them.

Please post any responses (don't e-mail me).

Thanks.

Go to the Sears, Home Depot, and Lowes sites. Go to the 'where to buy'
link. Enter a zip code for Detroit or Port Huron, or any other zip you
may want to visit. They should list a store location near that zip.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

Almost everybody. Got my last* one at TSC (Tractor Supply Corp. or
Company). Sears, Lowes, Home Depot, Meijers, Sams, Cosco, etc. all have them
in the $500 to +++ range. And now your Canadian dollar is worth a lot more
in the States!

I moved to Arizona in 2006 after spending 60+ years in the snow belt.
Ah.........

"Some Guy" wrote in message ...
What are some names of big-box (and medium-box) stores in Michigan
(Detroit to Port-Huron area) that sell snowblowers?

Here in Ontario, nobody sells snowblowers in the $500 to $1100 price
range (which is a crock) so I'm going to buy one in Michigan. But to
do some comparative shopping either on the web or buy phone I need to
know who sells them.

Please post any responses (don't e-mail me).

Thanks.

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
newsmJUi.151101$Da.119114@pd7urf1no...
Frank wrote:

Some Guy wrote:

What are some names of big-box (and medium-box) stores in Michigan
(Detroit to Port-Huron area) that sell snowblowers?

Here in Ontario, nobody sells snowblowers in the $500 to $1100 price
range (which is a crock) so I'm going to buy one in Michigan. But to
do some comparative shopping either on the web or buy phone I need to
know who sells them.

Please post any responses (don't e-mail me).

Thanks.

Home Depot and Lowes sell them here in DE. Would imagine everyone sells
them further north.

Hmmm,
Why bother? Global warming. I haven't used mine in years. I just use leaf
blower to clear my drive way, LOL! Sears doesn't have it?
You don't have John Deere dealer around there?
from Calgary

Surely you jest. Until 2006 I lived near Lansing, Michigan. Bad winters
are as frequent as good winters there.

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

Some Guy wrote:
Tony Hwang wrote:

Why bother? Global warming. I haven't used mine in years. I just
use leaf blower to clear my drive way, LOL!

I live in the snow belt of SW-Ontario. We get lake-effect snow in the
winter.

Sears doesn't have it?
You don't have John Deere dealer around there?

I'm looking for a 28" to 36" (wide), 2-stage blower. 7 to 12 hp.

Nobody in Ontario is selling a blower like that for less than $1100.
They aren't selling anything in the $500 to $1100 price range. All
the stuff under $500 are the wimpy single-stage blowers.

A couple years ago I was able to get a 24", 7 (or 9?) hp sears blower
(2-stage) for $800. I should be able to get a 36", 12 hp blower for
that price today...

Hi,
That's why I moved out here from S.S. Marie in 1970.
Tired of shovelling thick wet snow., LOL!
Good luck finding one while exchange rate is favorable.
Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

Sat, 27 Oct 2007 17:37:54 GMT from Tony Hwang :
That's why I moved out here from S.S. Marie in 1970.

You used to live on a steamship?

:-)

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

"Some Guy" wrote in message ...
Tony Hwang wrote:

Why bother? Global warming. I haven't used mine in years. I just
use leaf blower to clear my drive way, LOL!

I live in the snow belt of SW-Ontario. We get lake-effect snow in the
winter.

Sears doesn't have it?
You don't have John Deere dealer around there?

I'm looking for a 28" to 36" (wide), 2-stage blower. 7 to 12 hp.

Nobody in Ontario is selling a blower like that for less than $1100.
They aren't selling anything in the $500 to $1100 price range. All
the stuff under $500 are the wimpy single-stage blowers.

A couple years ago I was able to get a 24", 7 (or 9?) hp sears blower
(2-stage) for $800. I should be able to get a 36", 12 hp blower for
that price today...

That fact that you can't find one at $800 is a good indication that a blower
the size you want is gonna cost more. And that's been my experience.
For a blower the size you want, I think $1100 is probably a cheaply made
underpowered machine. What's wrong with a 24" 8hp blower for $800?

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
"DonC" wrote in message
.. And now your Canadian dollar is worth a lot more in the States!

It currently is about a 3.0% difference.

By itself, that's an irrelevant piece of information.

In the last 12 months the Canadian $ is worth about 16% more in the States.

In the last 5 years the change has been a whopping 60%!

In other terms, a snow blower costing $1000-Canadian last year will cost
only $862 this year.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 11:27:04 -0400, Some Guy wrote:

What are some names of big-box (and medium-box) stores in Michigan
(Detroit to Port-Huron area) that sell snowblowers?

Here in Ontario, nobody sells snowblowers in the $500 to $1100 price range
(which is a crock) so I'm going to buy one in Michigan. But to do some
comparative shopping either on the web or buy phone I need to know who
sells them.

Please post any responses (don't e-mail me).

Thanks.

Just a bit of holiday humor,

Q. Why did the snowman drop his pants?
A. He saw the snow blower coming.

and now back to our regularly scheduled newsgroup already in progress....

--
coffee
Linux Registered User #449534

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

Chas Hurst wrote:

That fact that you can't find one at $800 is a good indication
that a blower the size you want is gonna cost more.

Not when your currency has appreciated by 20% over the same time
frame.

What's wrong with a 24" 8hp blower for $800?

I need another blower at a different location.

Anyone know (or speculate) how a flame thrower would work at clearing
a driveway? I'm half serious about that...
Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

"Some Guy" wrote in message

Anyone know (or speculate) how a flame thrower would work at clearing
a driveway? I'm half serious about that...

Probably not very well and then you have the water to contend with.

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Anyone know (or speculate) how a flame thrower would work at
clearing a driveway? I'm half serious about that...

Probably not very well and then you have the water to contend with.

"U.S. troops used flamethrowers on the streets of Washington D.C. to
clear snow (as mentioned in a December 1998 article in San Francisco
Flier), one of several clearance methods used for the surprisingly
large amount of snow that fell before the presidential inauguration of
John F. Kennedy."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flamethrower

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=la5sjVGIdnM

"The cleanup of the Blizzard of 1920 included the bizarre sight of
soldiers from the chemical warfare service of the United States Army
using fuel-spewing flamethrowers to melt snow and ice."

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/31/ny...ty/31snow.html

See also:

http://mirror.linnwood.org/flamethrower/

Probably not very well and then you have the water to contend with.

That's where salt comes in.

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

"Some Guy" wrote in message ...
Chas Hurst wrote:

That fact that you can't find one at $800 is a good indication
that a blower the size you want is gonna cost more.

Not when your currency has appreciated by 20% over the same time
frame.

What's wrong with a 24" 8hp blower for $800?

I need another blower at a different location.

Do you expect the kind hearted businesses to drop prices because of a
currency adjustment?

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

"Chas Hurst" wrote in message

"Some Guy" wrote in message
Chas Hurst wrote:

That fact that you can't find one at $800 is a good indication
that a blower the size you want is gonna cost more.

Not when your currency has appreciated by 20% over the same time
frame.

What's wrong with a 24" 8hp blower for $800?

I need another blower at a different location.

Do you expect the kind hearted businesses to drop prices because of a
currency adjustment?

They don't have to:

1) You take your Canadian $$ to an exchange place (bank, etc.);
2) they give you 20% more US dollars than they would have a year ago;
3) you buy your snow blower with your newly acquired US dollars;
4) the "kind hearted businesses" are happy to get their advertised price and
the "happy Canadian" is pleased to pay 20% less in Canadian dollars than he
would have a year ago.

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

"DonC" wrote in message

"Chas Hurst" wrote in message

"Some Guy" wrote in message
Chas Hurst wrote:

That fact that you can't find one at $800 is a good indication
that a blower the size you want is gonna cost more.

Not when your currency has appreciated by 20% over the same time
frame.

What's wrong with a 24" 8hp blower for $800?

I need another blower at a different location.

Do you expect the kind hearted businesses to drop prices because of a
currency adjustment?

They don't have to:

1) You take your Canadian $$ to an exchange place (bank, etc.);
2) they give you 20% more US dollars than they would have a year ago;
3) you buy your snow blower with your newly acquired US dollars;
4) the "kind hearted businesses" are happy to get their advertised price
and the "happy Canadian" is pleased to pay 20% less in Canadian dollars
than he would have a year ago.

So far no word on a on the $800 snow blower yet. I'm not holding my breath.

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

On Oct 27, 12:06 pm, Tony Hwang wrote:
Frank wrote:
Some Guy wrote:

What are some names of big-box (and medium-box) stores in Michigan
(Detroit to Port-Huron area) that sell snowblowers?

Here in Ontario, nobody sells snowblowers in the $500 to $1100 price
range (which is a crock) so I'm going to buy one in Michigan. But to
do some comparative shopping either on the web or buy phone I need to
know who sells them.

Please post any responses (don't e-mail me).

Thanks.

Home Depot and Lowes sell them here in DE. Would imagine everyone sells
them further north.

Hmmm,
Why bother? Global warming.

Oh boy....

Unless the temp rises by about 40 degrees, we're still going to have
snow in S.E. Michigan.

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

Chas Hurst wrote:

So far no word on a on the $800 snow blower yet. I'm not holding
my breath.

There is nothing really available in Canada for less than $1000. At
that price, the best unit (based on spec) seems to be the Canadian
Tire unit (8.5 hp, 26" width).

In the USA, availability starts in the $750 - $800 range (6 to 8.5 hp,
24 to 26" width) and some decent units can be had for $900 (9 to 9.5
hp, 28" width).

Basically, for what you can get in the USA for $900 would cost you
$1200 in Canada.

What you can get in the USA for $700 - $900 would cost you $1000 in
Canada.

I bought a 8hp, 24" blower at Sears in either Dec 2005 or Jan 2006.
It was on sale - for $800. Who knows what it cost in the US at the
time, but it was probably something like $650.

------------------------------------

Lowes (USA)

11 hp, 30" $1100
9.5 hp, 28" $900
8.5 hp, 26" $770

Home Depot (USA)

Cub Cadet Z-700 10 hp, 28" $1000
Ariens Sno-Thro ST824E 8 HP, 24" $950
Ariens Sno-Thro ST624E 6 hp, 24" $750

Home Depot (Canada)

Cub Cadet (model not given) 8.5 hp, 26" $1200
MTD Pro 10.5 hp, 30" $1200
Murray 10 hp, 30" $1200

4 throwers @ $1000 (2 Toro, MTD, Murray)
- 6 to 8 hp, 26 to 27 "
- nothing in the $500 to $1000 range

Sears (USA)

9 hp, 28" $900 (on sale, reg price = $1050)
7 hp, 26" $730 (on sale, reg price = $800)
5.5 hp, 24" $700 (reg price)

Sears (Canada)

- Nothing less than $1000
- 1 unit at $1000 (9.5 hp, 27")
- 5 units at $1200 (9.5 - 11.5 hp, 24 - 30")

TSC (USA)

- 1 blower (8.5 hp, 30") but website won't give price

Meijers (USA)

- no snow blowers listed on website

Sams Club (USA)

- no snow blowers listed on website

Costco (USA)

- no snow blowers listed on website

Canadian Tire

- 1 unit between $500 and $1000 (5.5 hp, 22") $800
- 8.5 hp, 27" $1000
- 7 hp, 26" $1200
- 10.5 hp, 30" $1200

Snow Throwers marybeth Home Repair 26 December 13th 06 09:15 PM
Snowblowers Szeifried Home Repair 8 December 12th 05 05:12 PM
Snow throwers - plastic impeller ok? and other questions (LONG) [email protected] Home Ownership 1 September 28th 05 04:23 PM
Snowblowers houseslave Home Repair 32 November 18th 03 05:33 AM
Snow throwers- tracks vs. wheels Retiredff Home Ownership 12 August 14th 03 02:09 PM