Posted to alt.home.repair
dbr dbr is offline

Default Clean spray foam can nozzle?

Is there a way to use only part of a can of urethane insulating foam spray, and
save the rest to use later? I find if you don't use it all right away the nozzle
and dispenser tube permanently clog.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Oct 26, 6:04 pm, dbr wrote:
Is there a way to use only part of a can of urethane insulating foam spray, and
save the rest to use later? I find if you don't use it all right away the nozzle
and dispenser tube permanently clog.

On rare occasions I have been able to get an extra use from the spray
cans by blowing out the tubing and can outlet with compressed air. A
shot of lacquer thinner helps somewhat. Long term, though, it is
pretty much hopeless. Sure would be neat if they marketed a much
smaller sized can maybe in four packs for those many small jobs we
have to do.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 26, 5:04 pm, dbr wrote:
Is there a way to use only part of a can of urethane insulating foam spray, and
save the rest to use later? I find if you don't use it all right away the nozzle
and dispenser tube permanently clog.

When you're done spraying the foam and the can still has some material
left in it, you can unscrew the nozzle and put pipe cleaners in both
ends of the nozzle. Also put a pipe cleaner down the hole the nozzle
was screwed into. After the foam hardens on the pipe cleaners, just
pull them out and the dried foam sticks to them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 26, 6:04 pm, dbr wrote:
Is there a way to use only part of a can of urethane insulating foam spray, and
save the rest to use later? I find if you don't use it all right away the nozzle
and dispenser tube permanently clog.

For any aerosol you should always turn the can upside down and spray
until just propellant comes out. This will ensure that the nozzle
passage is clear for the next time. What happens when you do this
with the foam? Eventually you should just get propellant, then just
cap it for next time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The instructions for Great Stuff used to cover this. Remember when it first
came out and a folded booklet was inside the cap of each can, along with a pair
of disposable gloves?

Anyway, when you are done, unscrew the parts. Dampen some flat wooden
toothpicks and shove one in each of the holes, large end first. So that's one
toothpick into the can, and one in each end of the plastic nozzle/trigger. The
foam will harden around the toothpicks and it just pulls right out later.

It doesn't work as well for the tube since it is too long, so I give it a
squirt of lacquer thinner or acetone when I am done. This dissolves the sticky
foam. You can also clean the parts and can with the solvent, but if you leave
even a little bit it will jam, so the toothpicks work better.

--
Dennis

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

I use a bunch of phone or network wire from pieces of cable. shoving a
length down the tube with a small loop at the end will pull the dried foam
out. Another with a small loop into the top of the can with the nozzle
removed, and a final wire threaded through the nozzle. The small loops allow
the wire to grip the foam and pull it out without the wire pulling out of
the foam. Done this so many times that I now have a number of spare nozzles
and tubes.

"DT" wrote in message
news:tbmdnULFsuFfIb_anZ2dnUVZ_v3inZ2d@wideopenwest .com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 20:08:58 -0700, RickH
wrote:

On Oct 26, 6:04 pm, dbr wrote:
Is there a way to use only part of a can of urethane insulating foam spray, and
save the rest to use later? I find if you don't use it all right away the nozzle
and dispenser tube permanently clog.

For any aerosol you should always turn the can upside down and spray
until just propellant comes out. This will ensure that the nozzle
passage is clear for the next time. What happens when you do this
with the foam? Eventually you should just get propellant, then just
cap it for next time.

The foam I use [great Stuff] sprays just fine upside down.

I've had about a 50% success rate in re-use. [using the pipe-cleaner
trick mentioned in this thread] Now I tend to find a bunch of spots
to spray it until I've used up a can- and wait until I think I can use
up a whole can before I start one.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

Is there a way to use only part of a can of urethane insulating foam
spray, and save the rest to use later? I find if you don't use it all
right away the nozzle and dispenser tube permanently clog.

Do like I do and take extra ones from the existing cans at the Borg. That
leaves the can unsaleable and it gets returned to the supplier.

If they can't make a product that will allow you to use more than 20%, they
deserve returns.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 11:50:30 -0400, "Buck Turgidson"
wrote:

Is there a way to use only part of a can of urethane insulating foam
spray, and save the rest to use later? I find if you don't use it all
right away the nozzle and dispenser tube permanently clog.

Do like I do and take extra ones from the existing cans at the Borg. That
leaves the can unsaleable and it gets returned to the supplier.

If they can't make a product that will allow you to use more than 20%, they
deserve returns.

They should also clearly display disposable gloves with the product as
well.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 23:29:37 -0000, Joe wrote:

On Oct 26, 6:04 pm, dbr wrote:
Is there a way to use only part of a can of urethane insulating foam spray, and
save the rest to use later? I find if you don't use it all right away the nozzle
and dispenser tube permanently clog.

On rare occasions I have been able to get an extra use from the spray
cans by blowing out the tubing and can outlet with compressed air. A
shot of lacquer thinner helps somewhat. Long term, though, it is
pretty much hopeless. Sure would be neat if they marketed a much
smaller sized can maybe in four packs for those many small jobs we
have to do.

Joe

They actually do sell a smaller can now. I went to buy some and they
had the regular size cans for $5 or the small (half the amount) size
ones for $4.89. Now that's a huge savings.......

Why not just include more nozzles, or even sell them separately. Even
at 25cents each they could make money on them.

The bottom line, they WANT you to waste half the can so you buy
another can......

I often wonder what those in industry use for nozzles who apply this
stuff all day every day. Many of the pre-fab homes are filled with
large amounts of foam. I know that dont come in aerosol cans, but is
applied by machine. Yet, they must have nozzle clogging too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Is there a way to use only part of a can of urethane insulating foam
spray, and save the rest to use later? I find if you don't use it all
right away the nozzle and dispenser tube permanently clog.

Do like I do and take extra ones from the existing cans at the Borg. That
leaves the can unsaleable and it gets returned to the supplier.

If they can't make a product that will allow you to use more than 20%, they
deserve returns.

They should also clearly display disposable gloves with the product as
well.

I've cleaned the plastic tube out with wire, 14 gauge after it has
hardened(like the next usage) and also cleaned out the part in the
aerosol can with the same wire, and it worked no problem.

I think the plastic tube can come apart also, making it easier to
clean.

I like the idea of sticking a wire into the tube after usage, that
would make it easy to clean.

samurai.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dbr dbr is offline

Thanks for all the great suggestions, I knew someone out there has to have this
problem too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

responding to
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...le-261617-.htm
stockthomas wrote:

Hey guys,

A company sells spare nozzle packs that work with great stuff and other
brands. They are in my local hardware store, www.xtendafoam.com , saves me
the hassle of trying to clean out a nozzle or throw away half used cans.

wrote:

[...]

-------------------------------------

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in :

On Fri, 22 Jul 2011 02:29:10 +0000, stockthomas
wrote:

Hey guys,

A company sells spare nozzle packs that work with great stuff and
other
brands. They are in my local hardware store,
www.xtendafoam.com ,
saves me the hassle of trying to clean out a nozzle or throw away half
used cans.

What the hell. Three posts for the same thing. Sure sounds like
spamming to me.

The spare nozzle is a great idea, but if it costs more than a half
buck you may as well just use as much of the can as possible and toss
the rest. After all, the can of foam is only $4 or $5. So I sure
wont spend more than a half buck to save $2 worth of foam, which
likely wont come out of the can anyhow because the tip of the can
where the nozzle goes is likely clogged.

Sure it's spam. That is that asshole homeowners hub website
that skims from newsgroups.

Anyway, after you use the foam, toss the nozzle it in some paint thinner.
If I recall, the recommended chemical to remove uncured foam is acetone.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I followed the directions- sprayed upside-down until no foam came out.
Worked once.

Then the next time I tried to use it, nothing came out, so I pulled a
little harder on the trigger and broke it.

Now I have no idea how to dispose of the can- not for recycling, but
if I put it in the garbage, when the truck crushes it it'll make a
mess.

Guess I have to wait for Hazardous Substances disposal day (every few
months around here).

Copyright 2011 by Shaun Eli. All Rights Reserved.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/22/2011 5:17 PM, Shaun Eli wrote:
I followed the directions- sprayed upside-down until no foam came out.
Worked once.

Then the next time I tried to use it, nothing came out, so I pulled a
little harder on the trigger and broke it.

Now I have no idea how to dispose of the can- not for recycling, but
if I put it in the garbage, when the truck crushes it it'll make a
mess.

Guess I have to wait for Hazardous Substances disposal day (every few
months around here).

Copyright 2011 by Shaun Eli. All Rights Reserved.

They make dandy plinking targets for your .22, or even a good air rifle.
Good square hit, and instant gratification.

BTW, I've seen the inside of a packer truck up close. It, and the
operators, will never even notice. Bang the side of one sometime- that
is THICK steel.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

They make dandy plinking targets for your .22, or even a good air rifle.
Good square hit, and instant gratification.

Oh yeah!

I've done that.

Once, just for the heck of it, I took a pick ax to the can. It
sprayed over everything including a slightly worn white shirt. Being
on the cheap side, I continued to wear the shirt as if nothing happened.
Only one person ever asked my how my shirt got that yellow, THICK
stain. I was quite honest.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/26/2011 5:58 PM, John Gilmer wrote:

They make dandy plinking targets for your .22, or even a good air rifle.
Good square hit, and instant gratification.

Oh yeah!

I've done that.

Once, just for the heck of it, I took a pick ax to the can. It sprayed
over everything including a slightly worn white shirt. Being on the
cheap side, I continued to wear the shirt as if nothing happened. Only
one person ever asked my how my shirt got that yellow, THICK stain. I
was quite honest.

Once, in the apartment I used to live in, I had to store my spray cans
in milk crates on the shelf above the washer and drier. One night,
peacefully wasting time on the computer like I am now, I here a loud
noise in the kitchen. A spray can of some sort of foaming automotive
cleanser had picked then and there to rot through with a catastrophic
failure, and sprayed stinky foam all over the other cans and dripped
down through the milk crate and wire shelf all over the W/D setup. Took
me hours to clean up the mess. Only time in 40-some years of buying
spray cans that has ever happened to me- they usually just quietly (but
neatly) lose their pressure and die on me.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 26 Jul 2011 22:46:56 -0400, aemeijers wrote:

[...]

I keep such things in a solid-bottomed container. I've rarely had that
problem, rather something else leaking and ruining cartons. I just find it
easier to store things in solid trays. If I have to clean out the cabinet, it
goes much faster, too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, October 26, 2007 7:04:57 PM UTC-4, dbr wrote:
Is there a way to use only part of a can of urethane insulating foam spray, and
save the rest to use later? I find if you don't use it all right away the nozzle
and dispenser tube permanently clog.

I have tried carburetor cleaner immediately after I am finished foaming something. Remove the nozzle by unscrewing it and spray cleaner into the opening until it comes out the other end. I doubt this will work if the foam has dried, however.
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr View Post
Is there a way to use only part of a can of urethane insulating foam spray, and
save the rest to use later? I find if you don't use it all right away the nozzle
and dispenser tube permanently clog.
Dbr:

I haven't read all the posts in this thread so if someone has already suggested acetone, my apologies.

You'll find that acetone dissolves dried Great Stuff expanding polyurethane foam. Simply use an eye dropper to drip some acetone into the nozzle on the can as well as the plastic nozzle that screws onto it.

You can also use pipe cleaners to clean those areas with acetone as well if you want, but just flooding them with acetone 2 or 3 times should be all you need.

Typically, nail polish remover is acetone, so if you just want to try it to see that it works, borrow some nail polish remover. You can buy acetone by the gallon at any paint & hardware store or home center.

Also, you can buy plastic tubing that will fit the nozzles at any hydroponics store for about 5 cents per foot. That way you can just throw away the tube after each usage.

Last edited by nestork : November 13th 14 at 02:36 AM
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Buck Turgidson, Jackbear wrote:
jc_va wrote:

Do like I do and take extra ones from the existing cans at the Borg. That
leaves the can unsaleable and it gets returned to the supplier.
If they can't make a product that will allow you to use more than 20%,

they
deserve returns.

Yes, that method works great if you have no integrity. I have no love for
the inability to use all of the product but becoming a thief - a common
shoplifter - isn't on the list of acceptable options.

Posted to alt.home.repair

jc_va wrote:

Do like I do and take extra ones from the existing cans at the Borg. That
leaves the can unsaleable and it gets returned to the supplier.
If they can't make a product that will allow you to use more than 20%,

they
deserve returns.

Yes, that method works great if you have no integrity. I have no love for
the inability to use all of the product but becoming a thief - a common
shoplifter - isn't on the list of acceptable options.

All you got to do, is stick a piece of bailing wire in the nozzle
immediately after use. When you want to use the can again, pull this
wire and the dried foam comes out. This may not work for long time
storage, but if you want to use the can within a few days, it works
everytime.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, October 26, 2007 at 6:04:57 PM UTC-5, dbr wrote:
Is there a way to use only part of a can of urethane insulating foam spray, and
save the rest to use later? I find if you don't use it all right away the nozzle
and dispenser tube permanently clog.

These replacements worked well for me

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Five-Expandi...kAAOSw-3FZDe1L