Posted to alt.home.repair

Default easy question

I bought a 5 gallon container of primer since I'm going to be doing a
lot of painting over the next year.

Do I find a big stick and stir a lot or is there a (cheap) mechanical
stirrer that will do a better job?

Geez...can't they homogenize these things?

thanks,
bonnie

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bonnie Jean wrote:
I bought a 5 gallon container of primer since I'm going to be doing a
lot of painting over the next year.

Do I find a big stick and stir a lot or is there a (cheap) mechanical
stirrer that will do a better job?

Geez...can't they homogenize these things?

thanks,
bonnie

I have a discarded laboratory stirrer that fits on my electric drill.
Maybe you can find something like this.

Frank
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 11:25:56 -0500, "Bonnie Jean"
wrote:

I bought a 5 gallon container of primer since I'm going to be doing a
lot of painting over the next year.

Do I find a big stick and stir a lot or is there a (cheap) mechanical
stirrer that will do a better job?

Geez...can't they homogenize these things?

Even the big box stores carry 'em. but go to your local Ace & ask
for a drill mixer- less than $5--

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 26 Oct, 12:25, "Bonnie Jean" wrote:
I bought a 5 gallon container of primer since I'm going to be doing a
lot of painting over the next year.

Do I find a big stick and stir a lot or is there a (cheap) mechanical
stirrer that will do a better job?

Geez...can't they homogenize these things?

thanks,
bonnie

In the same department, probably the same aisle, where you got that
big tub of pint, you'll find something similiar to this:

http://www.toolmix.com/browse/produc...=588&pid=53120

Posted to alt.home.repair
a a is offline

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On 26 Oct, 12:25, "Bonnie Jean" wrote:
I bought a 5 gallon container of primer since I'm going to be doing a
lot of painting over the next year.

Do I find a big stick and stir a lot or is there a (cheap) mechanical
stirrer that will do a better job?

Geez...can't they homogenize these things?

thanks,
bonnie

In the same department, probably the same aisle, where you got that
big tub of pint, you'll find something similiar to this:

http://www.toolmix.com/browse/produc...=588&pid=53120

Twenty freaking four quid?!? Ohhhhhhh... "DeWalt"

Posted to alt.home.repair

I was thinking about getting a wire coat hanger and bend it into a shape for
stirring, stick it on the end of my electric drill at a slow speed and
giving it a go.
Not the best but free of charge and better than stirring by hand.
Or even just a long piece of dowelling and nail a paddle shape on the end.

"a" wrote in message news:EdqUi.35619$G25.21164@edtnps89...
DerbyDad03 wrote:
On 26 Oct, 12:25, "Bonnie Jean" wrote:
I bought a 5 gallon container of primer since I'm going to be doing a
lot of painting over the next year.

Do I find a big stick and stir a lot or is there a (cheap) mechanical
stirrer that will do a better job?

Geez...can't they homogenize these things?

thanks,
bonnie

In the same department, probably the same aisle, where you got that
big tub of pint, you'll find something similiar to this:

http://www.toolmix.com/browse/produc...=588&pid=53120

Twenty freaking four quid?!? Ohhhhhhh... "DeWalt"

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.cnd-industry.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On 26 Oct, 12:25, "Bonnie Jean" wrote:
I bought a 5 gallon container of primer since I'm going to be doing a
lot of painting over the next year.

Do I find a big stick and stir a lot or is there a (cheap) mechanical
stirrer that will do a better job?

Geez...can't they homogenize these things?

thanks,
bonnie

In the same department, probably the same aisle, where you got that
big tub of pint, you'll find something similiar to this:

http://www.toolmix.com/browse/produc...=588&pid=53120

Twenty freaking four quid?!? Ohhhhhhh... "DeWalt"

a- Hide quoted text -

Actually, I use a coat hanger wire in a drill all the time and it
works great! Just bend the part that goes in the paint can in a zig-
zag shape with pliers. You just have to take a little time and care
to get it to spin relatively balanced on axis.

To clean off the wire, spin it at high speed in an empty paint can.

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 10/26/2007 3:33 PM S said the following:
I was thinking about getting a wire coat hanger and bend it into a shape for
stirring, stick it on the end of my electric drill at a slow speed and
giving it a go.
Not the best but free of charge and better than stirring by hand.
Or even just a long piece of dowelling and nail a paddle shape on the end.

Instructions
http://www.ronhazelton.com/tips/Paint_Stirrer.htm

DerbyDad03 wrote:

On 26 Oct, 12:25, "Bonnie Jean" wrote:

I bought a 5 gallon container of primer since I'm going to be doing a
lot of painting over the next year.

Do I find a big stick and stir a lot or is there a (cheap) mechanical
stirrer that will do a better job?

Geez...can't they homogenize these things?

thanks,
bonnie

In the same department, probably the same aisle, where you got that
big tub of pint, you'll find something similiar to this:

http://www.toolmix.com/browse/produc...=588&pid=53120

Twenty freaking four quid?!? Ohhhhhhh... "DeWalt"

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 26, 2:20 pm, a wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
On 26 Oct, 12:25, "Bonnie Jean" wrote:
I bought a 5 gallon container of primer since I'm going to be doing a
lot of painting over the next year.

Do I find a big stick and stir a lot or is there a (cheap) mechanical
stirrer that will do a better job?

Geez...can't they homogenize these things?

thanks,
bonnie

In the same department, probably the same aisle, where you got that
big tub of pint, you'll find something similiar to this:

http://www.toolmix.com/browse/produc...=588&pid=53120

Twenty freaking four quid?!? Ohhhhhhh... "DeWalt"

a- Hide quoted text -

Note the words I used in my post: "something similiar to this". My
guess is that most paint stores or borgs don't carry the DeWalt model,
but something much cheaper.

Besides, their price was only nine freaking teen quid. :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 26, 6:53 pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Oct 26, 2:20 pm, a wrote:

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On 26 Oct, 12:25, "Bonnie Jean" wrote:
I bought a 5 gallon container of primer since I'm going to be doing a
lot of painting over the next year.

Do I find a big stick and stir a lot or is there a (cheap) mechanical
stirrer that will do a better job?

Geez...can't they homogenize these things?

thanks,
bonnie

In the same department, probably the same aisle, where you got that
big tub of pint, you'll find something similar to this:

http://www.toolmix.com/browse/produc...=588&pid=53120

Twenty freaking four quid?!? Ohhhhhhh... "DeWalt"

a- Hide quoted text -

Note the words I used in my post: "something similar to this". My
guess is that most paint stores or borgs don't carry the DeWalt model,
but something much cheaper.

Besides, their price was only nine freaking teen quid. :-)- Hide quoted text -

That's roughly 40 bucks for something to stir a can of paint?
As said you can make something; and/or for smaller cans of paint I've
used a bent coat hangar, piece of bent heavy fence wire and/or a
single left over stirrer from an old food hand mixer!
Pays not throw anything away btw.
IIRC one guy cut off part of the handle of an old large serving spoon
and chucked that in an electric hand drill to stir paint.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bonnie Jean" wrote in message
I bought a 5 gallon container of primer since I'm going to be doing a lot
of painting over the next year.

Do I find a big stick and stir a lot or is there a (cheap) mechanical
stirrer that will do a better job?

Geez...can't they homogenize these things?

thanks,
bonnie

Some brands seems to be better homogenized than others. What do you mean by
painting a lot? If you mean a few five gallon containers, just use the free
wooden stick for the 5 gallon cans. Otherwise, invest in a paint mixer for
the five gallon cans:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_hi...Go.x=12&Go.y=6

You will also need a good drill with a 1/2" chuck too. I use this, strong
and cheap:

Another thing and its cheap is that you pour the paint into an empty five
gallon can and than back again to the other one in conjunction with steering
to get a real good mix. I do this with all the cans to prevent color
variations from various batches of paint.

Nailgun - easy question KJ Home Repair 5 March 15th 06 01:03 AM
too easy of a question Tater Schuld Electronics 21 February 23rd 06 12:15 PM
Easy wiring question rile Home Repair 9 December 10th 05 08:52 PM
Easy range question JustDave Home Repair 1 November 20th 05 08:49 PM
Easy Question I'm sure- Help a beginner... Heart Ignition Electronics 1 February 13th 04 02:13 AM