Posted to alt.home.repair

Default DIY Wood buring stove insert?

My local stove shop is selling installation for a 25' chimney for $1295
including all materials plus labor to put the stove in place.

That's a no-brainer, as I will gladly pay that.

But, if I were to get a 2nd hand quality wood burning insert, besides the
weight of the thing, has anyone tried installing one of these things
yourself?

I think I know the answer...

So, the whole enchilada would be about 3500, including installation and new
liner.

I am near Philadelphia, if that helps.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ng_reader" wrote in message
. ..
My local stove shop is selling installation for a 25' chimney for $1295
including all materials plus labor to put the stove in place.

That's a no-brainer, as I will gladly pay that.

But, if I were to get a 2nd hand quality wood burning insert, besides the
weight of the thing, has anyone tried installing one of these things yourself?

I think I know the answer...

So, the whole enchilada would be about 3500, including installation and new
liner.

I am near Philadelphia, if that helps.

I acquired a fireplace insert via craigslist with the stainless liner for my old
chimney. Instalation was not a huge deal, but it did require a heavy duty cart,
wooden rollers, removing the origional damper in the fireplace and a lot of
patience.

If you get a used one, make sure it is EPA "certified", or it may well be
illegal to install it.

You may need permits to install it.

Your insurance may be at risk if you don't do a legal installation.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 25, 4:55 pm, "ng_reader" wrote:

But, if I were to get a 2nd hand quality wood burning insert, besides the
weight of the thing, has anyone tried installing one of these things
yourself?

A chimney sweep quoted me something like $125 to clean my chimney,
plus another $40 (give or take - don't remember exactly) to remove and
replace the insert. He had some special device to carry it. I was
surprised at how low the cost was. Given the certainty of damage to
the fireplace, bricks, and floor to DIY, the price seemed like a real
bargain.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"The Reverend Natural Light" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Oct 25, 4:55 pm, "ng_reader" wrote:

But, if I were to get a 2nd hand quality wood burning insert, besides the
weight of the thing, has anyone tried installing one of these things
yourself?

A chimney sweep quoted me something like $125 to clean my chimney,
plus another $40 (give or take - don't remember exactly) to remove and
replace the insert. He had some special device to carry it. I was
surprised at how low the cost was. Given the certainty of damage to
the fireplace, bricks, and floor to DIY, the price seemed like a real
bargain.

Certainty??? Not if you use common sense.

Bob