Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Removing and replacing ceramic tile.

I have a couple of cracked tiles and some bare floor from where I have
been doing some renovating. What is the best way to remove these
cracked tile ? I have to remove the tiles and replace with new ones
along with covering the bare spots. I won't have a problem replacing I
just need advice on removing.

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Pelletier wrote:
I have a couple of cracked tiles and some bare floor from where I have
been doing some renovating. What is the best way to remove these
cracked tile ? I have to remove the tiles and replace with new ones
along with covering the bare spots. I won't have a problem replacing I
just need advice on removing.

Thanks!

I've successfully removed floor tiles that had a wider grout joint by
cutting (or at least scoring fairly deep) the grout joint around the
tiles first with a 4" offset grinder. I did so to take pressure off of
the adjoining tiles when I pried out the broken ones. I purchased a
special diamond disc that cuts without water. You can then cut a slot
in the tile itself and pry it out with a screw driver. I used safety
glasses of course. It's dusty but a friend holding a vacuum tube next
to your work as you run the grinder gets most of the dust. You may have
to scrape the old adhesive off the floor too.

I've used the same basic method for removing wall tiles once to change a
shower valve. The difference was that the tiles were butted together
tightly so I cut the tiles I wanted to remove just close to the grout
joint instead of in the joint. Cut a slot in the tile and used the old
screwdriver again. Then I carefully chipped away the remaining bits of
the tile next to the joint.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 15:50:57 -0000, Pelletier
wrote:

I have a couple of cracked tiles and some bare floor from where I have
been doing some renovating. What is the best way to remove these
cracked tile ? I have to remove the tiles and replace with new ones
along with covering the bare spots. I won't have a problem replacing I
just need advice on removing.

Thanks!

My last house had two cracked tiles. One by the kitchen sink on one in
the dining room. I needed to remove only those two tiles.

Using a drill and masonry bit I drilled numerous holes in the center
of the tiles and or along the crack, This allowed some relief. Using a
hammer I smashed the center to further crack out the tile.

Clean up and prepare to replace them.

--
Oren

...through the use of electrical or duct tape, achieve the configuration in the photo..