DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Weed Whacker String Breaks all the time (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/218613-weed-whacker-string-breaks-all-time.html)

[email protected] October 24th 07 12:31 PM

Weed Whacker String Breaks all the time

I have an electric weed whacker. It works fairly well when it has
string, but almost every 5 minutes the string breaks off inside the
reel so I spend more time fixing the string than whacking. It seems
the string sort of welds itself together. This is a factory wound
spool, not one I would, so it should work. This whacker is new, and
this spool came with it. What would cause this? I had an older
whacker that hardly never did this, except the motor burned out.
Thats when I bought this new one and the string has been nothing but
trouble. I did have thicker string in the old one, maybe I need
something thicker. Will that fix the problem?

Thanks
Alvin

[email protected] October 24th 07 12:39 PM

On Oct 24, 9:31 am, wrote:
I have an electric weed whacker. It works fairly well when it has
string, but almost every 5 minutes the string breaks off inside the
reel so I spend more time fixing the string than whacking. It seems
the string sort of welds itself together. This is a factory wound
spool, not one I would, so it should work. This whacker is new, and
this spool came with it. What would cause this? I had an older
whacker that hardly never did this, except the motor burned out.
Thats when I bought this new one and the string has been nothing but
trouble. I did have thicker string in the old one, maybe I need
something thicker. Will that fix the problem?

Thanks
Alvin

I gave up using the string. I replaced it with a length of steel snare
wire. It's weight does not make the motor over work and it never
breaks.

tomris October 24th 07 01:26 PM

Weed Whacker String Breaks all the time

http://www.cnd-industry.com/

tomris October 24th 07 01:27 PM

Steve Barker[_3_] October 24th 07 02:32 PM

Weed Whacker String Breaks all the time

Cheap assed string does that. Also, good string can do it if it gets caught
on something. (chain link fences are hell on string). Try some stihl brand
string, and buy one size larger than your machine calls for.

GWB October 25th 07 12:01 AM

Weed Whacker String Breaks all the time

Monster Cutters...as seen on TV.

willshak October 25th 07 03:38 PM

on 10/24/2007 7:31 AM said the following:
I have an electric weed whacker. It works fairly well when it has
string, but almost every 5 minutes the string breaks off inside the
reel so I spend more time fixing the string than whacking. It seems
the string sort of welds itself together. This is a factory wound
spool, not one I would, so it should work. This whacker is new, and
this spool came with it. What would cause this? I had an older
whacker that hardly never did this, except the motor burned out.
Thats when I bought this new one and the string has been nothing but
trouble. I did have thicker string in the old one, maybe I need
something thicker. Will that fix the problem?

Thanks
Alvin

I used to have that problem with a spool head. I even sprayed WD-40 in
the spool to lubricate the string so it wouldn't get stuck.
It helped a little, but once the string that was lubricated ran out, the
problem returned.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY