Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Vehicle antifreeze

On Oct 24, 6:13 am, "Bob" wrote:
A couple weeks ago I posted this que' on a couple auto type NG's &
didn't get a response (Very slow NG's).

2002 F150, have never changed antifreeze. I don't need antifreeze
to protect against temp's (warm climate). But, I have heard it is
important to change antifreeze because the it wears out.

What wears out, the temp protection or is there a lubricant that
wears out?

How much to drain out, and how? One guy told me to drain a gallon
and put in a new gallon? That doesn't sound right to me.

Is it important to get all the old coolant out?

Thanks for any advice.

Bob-tx

Hi Bob,

Here is a web site about coolants ...

http://www.aa1car.com/library/2005/us90554.htm

In a nutshell, coolants have chemicals that degrade over time. These
chemicals have properties such as rust inhibitors and lubrication. Of
course the main think about anti-frezze is to stop your car from
frezzing up.

Note coolants have also become much more complicated over time.
Although there are products that claim to be a universal coolant, some
people think that this is not such a good idea. Right now I have one
coolant for my Honda (blue color), one for my Lexus (red) and another
for my Ford based Generator. Apart from the obvious color difference,
all have different chemical makeups to suite cast iron, or Aluminum
based engines.

My advice to you is to check your Car Owners manual. I would leave the
coolant alone, bar top ups. Then change all the coolant at the
recomened service interval.

best, Mike.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 03:09:29 -0700, hobbes
wrote:

On Oct 24, 6:13 am, "Bob" wrote:
[...]

The main ingredient is ethylene glycol. That does not wear out and
it's all the same in any brand. Apparently it's the additives such as
rust inhibitors, lubricants, etc.

I think the recommended period of time to replace it is exaggerated by
the companies that sell the antifreeze so they can make more sales.
At the same time I do see some reasoning for it, and the main reason
is to flush out your radiator to remove dirt, rust and crud. But this
is only needed every 5 years or so.

You can buy additives that are rust inhibitors and lubricants, and I
have added them to extend the life of the A. F.
That's what I do, but I still drain and flush every 5 to 6 years, and
use new A.F. at that time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "Bob" wrote:
A couple weeks ago I posted this que' on a couple auto type NG's &
didn't get a response (Very slow NG's).

2002 F150, have never changed antifreeze. I don't need antifreeze
to protect against temp's (warm climate).

You mean you don't need it to protect against *cold* temperatures. You still
need it to protect against boilover, though.

But, I have heard it is
important to change antifreeze because the it wears out.

What wears out, the temp protection or is there a lubricant that
wears out?

Neither -- it's the corrosion inhibitors.

How much to drain out,

All of it.

and how?

By taking it to a service station and telling them you want the cooling
system drained, flushed, and refilled. With all due respect, if you can't
figure out how to drain the coolant just by looking at the radiator, you
really should have someone else do it for you.

One guy told me to drain a gallon
and put in a new gallon? That doesn't sound right to me.

It's not.

Is it important to get all the old coolant out?

Yep -- but the mechanic at your service station will take care of it.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

"hobbes" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Oct 24, 6:13 am, "Bob" wrote:
A couple weeks ago I posted this que' on a couple auto type NG's &
didn't get a response (Very slow NG's).

2002 F150, have never changed antifreeze. I don't need antifreeze
to protect against temp's (warm climate). But, I have heard it is
important to change antifreeze because the it wears out.

What wears out, the temp protection or is there a lubricant that
wears out?
snip

In a nutshell, coolants have chemicals that degrade over time. These
chemicals have properties such as rust inhibitors and lubrication. Of
course the main think about anti-frezze is to stop your car from
frezzing up.
snip
best, Mike.

You forgot another important point. It raises the boiling temperature so
that it won't boil over in overly hot temps.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 24, 7:40 am, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , "Bob" wrote:
[...]

Antifreeze protects against corrosion as well, with just water you
would have major problems in 5-7 years, at 50% mix boiling point is
raised mayby 20f, Once for I week I ran water and heard boiling start
in the heads after I shut off the motor, this would of ruined the
motor eventualy. Coolant acidifies over years accelerating cooling
system damage. Look at your coils in the radiator , do you see any
buildup. Always use distilled water to dilute.

Posted to alt.home.repair

It's the lubrication properties that wears out. BUT, a can or bottle of
good quality water pump lube will restore what you need. No need to change
the antifreeze if it's clean.

"Bob" wrote in message
A couple weeks ago I posted this que' on a couple auto type NG's & didn't
get a response (Very slow NG's).

2002 F150, have never changed antifreeze. I don't need antifreeze to
protect against temp's (warm climate). But, I have heard it is important
to change antifreeze because the it wears out.

What wears out, the temp protection or is there a lubricant that wears
out?

How much to drain out, and how? One guy told me to drain a gallon and put
in a new gallon? That doesn't sound right to me.

Is it important to get all the old coolant out?

Thanks for any advice.

Bob-tx

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.cnd-industry.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 04:13:38 -0600, "Bob"
wrote:

A couple weeks ago I posted this que' on a couple auto type NG's &
didn't get a response (Very slow NG's).

2002 F150, have never changed antifreeze. I don't need antifreeze
to protect against temp's (warm climate). But, I have heard it is
important to change antifreeze because the it wears out.

What wears out, the temp protection or is there a lubricant that
wears out?

How much to drain out, and how? One guy told me to drain a gallon
and put in a new gallon? That doesn't sound right to me.

Is it important to get all the old coolant out?

Thanks for any advice.

Bob-tx

Consumer Reports recently had a small article about antifreeze and
testing it with a VOM. Had to do with electrolytes or something. I can
look it up.

Essentially, testing volts in the radiator coolant tells the condition
of the coolant.

--
Oren

"I wouldn't even be here if my support group hadn't beaten me up."