Posted to alt.home.repair

Default To cover vanity top with copper - what guage?

Hi,

What gauge of copper would be sufficient to cover a vanity top. I've
heard opinions anywhere from 14 to 20. What's your opinion?

Thanks!

Aaron

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Oct 23, 1:53 pm, Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

What gauge of copper would be sufficient to cover a vanity top. I've
heard opinions anywhere from 14 to 20. What's your opinion?

Thanks!

Aaron

A copper counter top is a bit of foolish impracticality. It's soft,
easily marred, corrodes in contact with common bath products and will
look like junk in a few months of use. Rather than choosing something
totally unsuitable for the application, if you just want the look
without the stress, try a copper paint on a harder substrate. Maybe
talk to a plating shop about heavy copper plating on a steel backing.
HTH

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

Before replacing our kitchen counter top we tried Tremclad Hammer Finish
Rust paint, we first tried gold which actually looked green and didn't like
it. Tried the copper colour and WOW! looks very sharp.

We used Hamerite rust paint on a bathroom counter when we first moved in 11
years ago. Held up very well, and due to the nature of the finish touched up
very well after about 8 years. It has a silicone formulation that makes it
very hard. I couldn't find Hamerite this time around but the Tremclad seems
to be the same, perhaps they bought out Hamerite?

Anyway for the price of a pint of the stuff you might want to give it try,
you'll be amazed how much like a real metal finish it will look like but
will hold up much better over time.

"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Oct 23, 1:53 pm, Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

What gauge of copper would be sufficient to cover a vanity top. I've
heard opinions anywhere from 14 to 20. What's your opinion?

Thanks!

Aaron

A copper counter top is a bit of foolish impracticality. It's soft,
easily marred, corrodes in contact with common bath products and will
look like junk in a few months of use. Rather than choosing something
totally unsuitable for the application, if you just want the look
without the stress, try a copper paint on a harder substrate. Maybe
talk to a plating shop about heavy copper plating on a steel backing.
HTH

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm interested in hearing more about copper counter tops being a bad
idea.

We've had a hammered copper sink for years and it looks great. Perhaps
I failed to specify that we are (were?) planning to use copper that
already has a distressed antique look, like this:

http://www.finecraftsimports.com/art..._190202-23.jpg

Does that change things?

Aaron