Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Kitchen remodel - backwards

Saw a few TV home improvement shows on kitchen remodels.

Show number one: After the cabinets were ripped out from the walls leaving
it damaged and full of holes, they just put the new cabinets back covering
the damage areas. It only take a little effort to repair the damage, why
skip this step? Those holes in the walls could be a health issue inviting
nesting areas for rodents.

Show number two: They paint the kitchen walls *after* everything was
installed; cabinets, counter tops and appliances that is. Much easier to
paint when the room was empty. This was done by pros, am I missing
something?

Show number three: The owner was given two options by the TV designer. One
was keeping the existing cabinets and install high end granite countertop.
Option two was to replace the cabinets and replace the countertop with
Formica. Owner took option two to have better arrangement of the appliances
and workplace. It turn out the designer spend something like $700 on the
countertop and $6,000 on the backsplash. Is this stupid? Why couldn't the
designer put the money in a real nice granite (or some other nice solid
surface) countertop and less money on the backsplash?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 23 Oct, 11:51, "** Frank **" wrote:
[...]

How? I didn't see the show so maybe you saw something that I'm not
picturing. Why would a cabinet back covering the holes be any
different than drywall covering the holes?

BTW - regardless of your answer, I'm not taking the wainscoting off my
bathroom wall. ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "** Frank **" wrote:
Saw a few TV home improvement shows on kitchen remodels.

Show number one: After the cabinets were ripped out from the walls leaving
it damaged and full of holes, they just put the new cabinets back covering
the damage areas. It only take a little effort to repair the damage, why
skip this step? Those holes in the walls could be a health issue inviting
nesting areas for rodents.

Sloppy but not much of a risk.

Show number two: They paint the kitchen walls *after* everything was
installed; cabinets, counter tops and appliances that is. Much easier to
paint when the room was empty. This was done by pros, am I missing
something?

Silly. But maybe the cabinet installers were waiting to get started
but the painter was unavailable, on another job ;-)

Show number three: The owner was given two options by the TV designer. One
was keeping the existing cabinets and install high end granite countertop.
Option two was to replace the cabinets and replace the countertop with
Formica. Owner took option two to have better arrangement of the appliances
and workplace. It turn out the designer spend something like $700 on the
countertop and $6,000 on the backsplash. Is this stupid? Why couldn't the
designer put the money in a real nice granite (or some other nice solid
surface) countertop and less money on the backsplash?

Crazy. I had ~70 sq ft of granite countertop installed with
granite backsplash for less than $6,000.

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |
Posted to alt.home.repair

"** Frank **" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I've seen several of those shows, they seem to be popping up as frequently
as "reality" TV these days. Some have merit and highlight quite realisitc
design and materials decisions well. Others are total garbage. Remember
this is TV, designed to attract sponsors and sell time. The actual content
is often secondary.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Malcolm Hoar says...

In article , "** Frank **"
wrote:
Saw a few TV home improvement shows on kitchen remodels.

Show number one: After the cabinets were ripped out from the walls leaving
it damaged and full of holes, they just put the new cabinets back covering
the damage areas. It only take a little effort to repair the damage, why
skip this step? Those holes in the walls could be a health issue inviting
nesting areas for rodents.

Sloppy but not much of a risk.

Show number two: They paint the kitchen walls *after* everything was
installed; cabinets, counter tops and appliances that is. Much easier to
paint when the room was empty. This was done by pros, am I missing
something?

Silly. But maybe the cabinet installers were waiting to get started
but the painter was unavailable, on another job ;-)

My reaction to this is .... and so what.

It'd be easier to paint before cabinets the first time, true. But sooner or
later the kitchen will need to get paint again. The cabinets will need to be
masked off and/or covered and care taken then anyway.

Banty

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 23 Oct, 11:51, "** Frank **" wrote:
[...]

1/4" to 1/2" spacing between the back of the cabinet and the drywall, plenty
of room to move around between the drywall, cabinet and floor cavities for a
mouse. Not the same as wainscoting which has no spacing unless you've
installed a furring strip.

BTW - regardless of your answer, I'm not taking the wainscoting off my
bathroom wall. ;-)

I'll bet there are droppings below the bathtub (between the tub and the
subfloor) and inside the bathroom walls as plumbing and electrical
penetrations are usually not sealed.