Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair

Default What kind of hardwood floor is this?

Hi,

I need to replace a section of the floor and I'm wondering what kind
of wood this is to come up with as close a match as possible:

http://freeboundaries.com/floor1.jpg
http://freeboundaries.com/floor2.jpg

It is the floor in the attic of a 1930's stone colonial in eastern PA.
It has a very uniform feel. There is no stain - it was recently
refinished and covered with two coats of polyurethane. It's tongue-in-
groove.

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron Fude

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair

In article .com, Aaron Fude wrote:
I need to replace a section of the floor and I'm wondering what kind
of wood this is to come up with as close a match as possible:

http://freeboundaries.com/floor1.jpg
http://freeboundaries.com/floor2.jpg

Not hardwood at all. It's yellow pine.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair

Doug Miller wrote:
In article .com,
Aaron Fude wrote:
I need to replace a section of the floor and I'm wondering what
kind of wood this is to come up with as close a match as possible:

http://freeboundaries.com/floor1.jpg
http://freeboundaries.com/floor2.jpg

Not hardwood at all. It's yellow pine.

Or Douglas fir. Since you are in Pennsylvania, most probably yellow
pine.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair

On Oct 22, 7:10 am, "dadiOH" wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article .com,
Aaron Fude wrote:
I need to replace a section of the floor and I'm wondering what
kind of wood this is to come up with as close a match as possible:

http://freeboundaries.com/floor1.jpg
http://freeboundaries.com/floor2.jpg

Not hardwood at all. It's yellow pine.

Or Douglas fir. Since you are in Pennsylvania, most probably yellow
pine.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
Get it athttp://mysite.verizon.net/xico

Probably yellow pine, but new wood will not have the aged look and
will require a real wood pro to stain it correctly, like a pro
furniture refinisher, not a floor guy. Cant you remove wood from maybe
a closet.

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair

In article 9r0Ti.3387$0l4.418@trnddc08, "dadiOH" wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article .com,
Aaron Fude wrote:
I need to replace a section of the floor and I'm wondering what
kind of wood this is to come up with as close a match as possible:

http://freeboundaries.com/floor1.jpg
http://freeboundaries.com/floor2.jpg

Not hardwood at all. It's yellow pine.

Or Douglas fir.

Doubtful -- it's too soft to be practical for flooring.

Since you are in Pennsylvania, most probably yellow
pine.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair

In article . com, ransley wrote:
On Oct 22, 7:10 am, "dadiOH" wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article .com,
Aaron Fude wrote:
I need to replace a section of the floor and I'm wondering what
kind of wood this is to come up with as close a match as possible:

http://freeboundaries.com/floor1.jpg
http://freeboundaries.com/floor2.jpg

Not hardwood at all. It's yellow pine.

Or Douglas fir. Since you are in Pennsylvania, most probably yellow
pine.

Probably yellow pine, but new wood will not have the aged look and
will require a real wood pro to stain it correctly, like a pro
furniture refinisher, not a floor guy. Cant you remove wood from maybe
a closet.

He said it was "refinished" which I took to mean that it was sanded as well.
If that's the case, then new wood may actually be a pretty good match -- but
if it wasn't sanded, just stripped and revarnished, then as you say, new wood
will not match, probably not even with stain.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair

On Oct 22, 8:21 am, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article . com, ransley wrote:

On Oct 22, 7:10 am, "dadiOH" wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article .com,
Aaron Fude wrote:
[...]

It's time to throw all their damned tea in the harbor again.- Hide quoted text -

I didnt read where he said it was refinished, it looked real yellow in
the photo, I wonder if it was sanded completely, if it was its a bad
photo but old wood is oxidised deep, he still may need a pro to pre
stain and stain it with color

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

The photos are not clear so it could be almost any wood with a strong grain.
80 year old flooring will be very aged to the core, any sanding will only
clean up the surface, it will never match the colour of new wood once you
identify it. Also if you do identify it and if you can find any, new
flooring will have different dimensions, different tongue and grooves and
will not match your old flooring unless you have the equipment and talent to
make your own.

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I need to replace a section of the floor and I'm wondering what kind
of wood this is to come up with as close a match as possible:

http://freeboundaries.com/floor1.jpg
http://freeboundaries.com/floor2.jpg

It is the floor in the attic of a 1930's stone colonial in eastern PA.
It has a very uniform feel. There is no stain - it was recently
refinished and covered with two coats of polyurethane. It's tongue-in-
groove.

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron Fude

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair

Looks like yellow pine lacquered .

--
Mason Pan
Blog: http://www.plywood.cc/

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
In article .com, Aaron
Fude wrote:
I need to replace a section of the floor and I'm wondering what kind
of wood this is to come up with as close a match as possible:

http://freeboundaries.com/floor1.jpg
http://freeboundaries.com/floor2.jpg

Not hardwood at all. It's yellow pine.

It is the floor in the attic of a 1930's stone colonial in eastern PA.
It has a very uniform feel. There is no stain - it was recently
refinished and covered with two coats of polyurethane. It's tongue-in-
groove.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
In article 9r0Ti.3387$0l4.418@trnddc08, "dadiOH"
wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article .com,
Aaron Fude wrote:
I need to replace a section of the floor and I'm wondering what
kind of wood this is to come up with as close a match as possible:

http://freeboundaries.com/floor1.jpg
http://freeboundaries.com/floor2.jpg

Not hardwood at all. It's yellow pine.

Or Douglas fir.

Doubtful -- it's too soft to be practical for flooring.

New growth Douglas fir is but old growth was actually quite hard for a
softwood.

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair

My home was build in about 1925, and at that time is was common practice
to use good hardwood in the "public" areas (first floor living and
dining room and stairways, for example) but to use either pine or
douglas fir in the "family" areas (upstairs bedrooms and attic). The
douglas fir available at that time was a better grade wood than what you
see today, unless you can find a source of old growth fir.

Getting a good match with new wood will be difficult. If there are any
closets with matching wood, you could use that wood and replace it with
new wood in the closet, since no-one will notice a closet. Otherwise,
you might have to find an inconspicuous area and scavage the wood from
there. If you have the time and talent, you could build some sort of
pattern or border into the floor with new wood and use the old for your
repair.

Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

I need to replace a section of the floor and I'm wondering what kind
of wood this is to come up with as close a match as possible:

http://freeboundaries.com/floor1.jpg
http://freeboundaries.com/floor2.jpg

It is the floor in the attic of a 1930's stone colonial in eastern PA.
It has a very uniform feel. There is no stain - it was recently
refinished and covered with two coats of polyurethane. It's tongue-in-
groove.

Many thanks in advance,

Aaron Fude

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair

On Oct 22, 2:01 pm, "Not@home" wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the recommendations. To clarify, yes the floor was sanded
and poly-ed.

I was told by my floor refinisher that these floors would be to
brittle to take out of a closet and move to the area of interest.
Also, according to him, there's virtually no way of getting them out
of the floor without busting circular saw blades on the nails.
Finally, he's claim is that b/c it's tongue in groove, that these
boards are "used-up" and cannot be re-used.

What do you guys think?

Thanks again,

Aaron

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Aaron Fude wrote:
[...]

Virtually anything is salvageable with enough time and effort -- but the
cost to pay somebody to do it, even if they're willing is likely to be
astronomical. This guy is telling you a) he's not interested; b) you
won't want to spend the money.

If you want to take the time and do it yourself, that's another question
entirely.

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair
Jon Jon is offline

Aaron,

I own a farmhouse in Eastern PA, and the second floor and above all have
yellow pine original floors. The downstairs has maple, which was redone
back in the 40's after removing the entire original floors, not sure why. It
has been in our family since the 1700's. My grandfather had it redone for
some unknown reason. I think when they had the house replumbed and rewired
for safety as there were two small fires in the electrical outlets in the
floor. What I like are the grates in the floor, you can look down from the
3rd floor and see the kitchen 2 stories below! The other one in the back
of the house makes a good laundry chute to the basement! You can get yellow
pine today that should match, I was able to a few years back but make sure
you go to a reputable wood dealer. My yellow pine came from the southeast
as I needed over 1000bf. I wanted to finish the attic in the same wood and
replace some damaged floor areas, to day I cannot tell where we patched in
the newer wood in the floor. At first it was noticable but in a couple of
years, you could not distinguish the two. Get a good qualified wood floor
person in your area to do the job right the first time. I did my attic
space and used it for practice, the subfloor was random width pine with gaps
up to 3/4". The attic is now my daughter's play area.

Jon

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair

Aaron Fude wrote:
[...]

I bought a house with oak flooring that
had been put down in the '40s. Various
renovations had been done which had seen
the flooring removed and replaced with
plywood in places.

I had a flooring guy come in and
refinish the wood, and asked him to fix
the plywood areas. He pulled up some of
the old stuff, added new and replaced
everything to the point that I couldn't
tell where the plywood had been.

In pulling up the old, he sacrificed a
few planks starting out but was able to
replace them with stock - something i
don't think you can do because of the age.

However, my point is that t/g flooring
can be pulled up and put down elsewhere.
You lose a bit, but are able to match
what's there. I'd go for the closets as
others have suggested.

--
Tanus

This is not really a sig.

http://users.compzone.ca/george/shop/

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair

According to Aaron Fude :
Thanks for the recommendations. To clarify, yes the floor was sanded
and poly-ed.

I was told by my floor refinisher that these floors would be to
brittle to take out of a closet and move to the area of interest.
Also, according to him, there's virtually no way of getting them out
of the floor without busting circular saw blades on the nails.
Finally, he's claim is that b/c it's tongue in groove, that these
boards are "used-up" and cannot be re-used.

Once you get an edge free, it's usually fairly easy to get flooring up
without doing too much damage to the boards. Depends on remaining
board thickness, wood condition and using the right pry bar/technique.

The trick is more getting the nails out or at least cut so they
don't interfere with re-installation without damaging the boards
that much.

Busting saw blades on nails? He's not heard of demolition blades?
Gee.

Chances are he's trying to hint it's not worth the expense of him
doing it.
--
Chris Lewis,

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair

According to dadiOH :
Doug Miller wrote:
In article .com,
Aaron Fude wrote:
I need to replace a section of the floor and I'm wondering what
kind of wood this is to come up with as close a match as possible:

http://freeboundaries.com/floor1.jpg
http://freeboundaries.com/floor2.jpg

Not hardwood at all. It's yellow pine.

Or Douglas fir. Since you are in Pennsylvania, most probably yellow
pine.

Out of curiousity, why do you think it's pine/fir?

Yes, it being in an attic is suggestive of that. On the other
hand, it's narrow-strip flooring, and back in those days that
tended to be the "better" stuff and I'd expect it to be hardwood.

The picture isn't all that good. The grain pattern is suggestive
of Douglas Fir, oak, ash or even chestnut. In Pennsylvania back
then it's _highly_ unlikely to be Doug Fir.

I'm not at all familiar with Yellow Pine - doesn't grow here. So
that may be my problem ;-)

Eastern white pine, especially wide plank (6+ inches), is common in
farmhouses and "back rooms" in houses of this vintage and older, but
its grain pattern is _much_ less distinct, so it can't be that.

I've never seen white pine in narrow strip flooring. Is it common
in yellow?

White pine is softer than Doug Fir, but still very common as flooring,
even new. Depends on what you want.

We plan on redoing our kitchen and dining room with white pine.
Mind you, it's been sitting on the bottom of the Ottawa river
for more than 100 years. Old growth to begin with, it's "treatment"
has hardened it even more.
--
Chris Lewis,

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Chris Lewis wrote:
According to dadiOH :
Doug Miller wrote:
In article .com,
Aaron Fude wrote:
I need to replace a section of the floor and I'm wondering what
kind of wood this is to come up with as close a match as possible:

http://freeboundaries.com/floor1.jpg
http://freeboundaries.com/floor2.jpg
Not hardwood at all. It's yellow pine.

Or Douglas fir. Since you are in Pennsylvania, most probably yellow
pine.

Out of curiousity, why do you think it's pine/fir?

Yes, it being in an attic is suggestive of that. On the other
hand, it's narrow-strip flooring, and back in those days that
tended to be the "better" stuff and I'd expect it to be hardwood.

The picture isn't all that good. The grain pattern is suggestive
of Douglas Fir, oak, ash or even chestnut. In Pennsylvania back
then it's _highly_ unlikely to be Doug Fir.

I'm not at all familiar with Yellow Pine - doesn't grow here. So
that may be my problem ;-)

Well, quoting has kinda' gotten confused in my reader so I'm not
positive who said yellow pine, but the "why" of why they think so is
because it is... The "why" of that is that the grain is very
distinctively characteristic.

Narrow strip flooring in SYP was _very_ common from the late 19th
through the mid-20th century. This appears to probably be 2-1/4", that
in the house here (ca 1915) is 1-3/4".

I also agree the likelihood of Doug fir in PA at the time was pretty low
-- but this isn't fir--wrong grain pattern. Fir doesn't have the wide
harder wood ray this shows, which is one of the giveaways for the SYP.

Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair

On Oct 23, 8:56 am, (Chris Lewis) wrote:
According to dadiOH :

Doug Miller wrote:
In article .com,
Aaron Fude wrote:
[...]

If you have it in the closet use it, So buy him a 7$ blade, or maybe
he realy does not want the job, call around.

Posted to alt.home.repair

According to dpb :
Narrow strip flooring in SYP was _very_ common from the late 19th
through the mid-20th century. This appears to probably be 2-1/4", that
in the house here (ca 1915) is 1-3/4".

I also agree the likelihood of Doug fir in PA at the time was pretty low
-- but this isn't fir--wrong grain pattern. Fir doesn't have the wide
harder wood ray this shows, which is one of the giveaways for the SYP.

I didn't think the picture was good enough to go to that level of
detail, tho, I suppose I'm not experienced enough with wood identification
to tell the difference when the wood is stained. In other words, the
pattern is similar to several hardwoods, but the intensity of stain
on early/latewood makes the difference to people more experienced
with SYP than me. The only SYP I've seen that I've known to be SYP
was unfinished ;-)
--
Chris Lewis,