Posted to alt.home.repair

Default landscape idea under Tall 50+ft Pine tree

I hate the pines and cones under the trees, and sod will not grow
there.

Anyone have a good idea, low maintanence landscape idea for under a
pine tree??

I live in a northern climate, Alberta Canada, here it gets snow,
freezing temperatures for 4-5 months.

samurai.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
samurai sammer003 @ yahoo.ca.spam wrote:

I hate the pines and cones under the trees, and sod will not grow
there.

Anyone have a good idea, low maintanence landscape idea for under a
pine tree??

I live in a northern climate, Alberta Canada, here it gets snow,
freezing temperatures for 4-5 months.

samurai.

Land mines. Blows the pinecones to bits when they fall.

Seriously, the needles and cones are going to fall no matter what you
plant. They'll just be harder to rake up. But make sure it's something
that doesn't need full sun, and doesn't need much water, because that
will kill the tree after a few years. Check your local nursery.

You could go for hardscape. Maybe a circular bench or stone wall around
the tree.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 21, 11:13 pm, Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
samurai sammer003 @ yahoo.ca.spam wrote:

I hate the pines and cones under the trees, and sod will not grow
there.

Anyone have a good idea, low maintanence landscape idea for under a
pine tree??

I live in a northern climate, Alberta Canada, here it gets snow,
freezing temperatures for 4-5 months.

samurai.

Land mines. Blows the pinecones to bits when they fall.

Seriously, the needles and cones are going to fall no matter what you
plant. They'll just be harder to rake up. But make sure it's something
that doesn't need full sun, and doesn't need much water, because that
will kill the tree after a few years. Check your local nursery.

You could go for hardscape. Maybe a circular bench or stone wall around
the tree.

A rock garden, groundcover, and Hostas, ferns, etc grow under my
pines. You need shade tolerant plants. Take a photo to a good nursery
to help you pick plants

Posted to alt.home.repair

samurai wrote:
I hate the pines and cones under the trees, and sod will not grow
there.

Anyone have a good idea, low maintanence landscape idea for under a
pine tree??

I live in a northern climate, Alberta Canada, here it gets snow,
freezing temperatures for 4-5 months.

samurai.

Why? its natural and looks nice. Why try to grow grass where it
naturally doesn't grow.

Why not build a rock garden in the area and add plants that would
normally grow near pines?
Posted to alt.home.repair

I have a gorgous hosta garden under mine. Every fall the hostas die off and
until they resprout in the spring you are free to rake up any pine cones or
whayt not.

I give my grandson a big bucket and pay him a penny a pine cone he picks up
and than we play basket ball with the shredder.

"samurai" sammer003 @ yahoo.ca.spam wrote in message
I hate the pines and cones under the trees, and sod will not grow
there.

Anyone have a good idea, low maintanence landscape idea for under a
pine tree??

I live in a northern climate, Alberta Canada, here it gets snow,
freezing temperatures for 4-5 months.

samurai.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 13:21:57 -0400, George
wrote:

samurai wrote:
I hate the pines and cones under the trees, and sod will not grow
there.

Anyone have a good idea, low maintanence landscape idea for under a
pine tree??

I live in a northern climate, Alberta Canada, here it gets snow,
freezing temperatures for 4-5 months.

samurai.

Why? its natural and looks nice. Why try to grow grass where it
naturally doesn't grow.

Why not build a rock garden in the area and add plants that would
normally grow near pines?

Thinking of pines, a large one grew next to the house I used to live
in. I decided to leave the needles and cones there. They looked a lot
better than the mud that would be visible otherwise (it was too dark
for grass).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

school classes." -- Ted Kennedy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 17:56:17 GMT, "jmagerl"
wrote:

I have a gorgous hosta garden under mine. Every fall the hostas die off and
until they resprout in the spring you are free to rake up any pine cones or
whayt not.

I give my grandson a big bucket and pay him a penny a pine cone he picks up
and than we play basket ball with the shredder.

Pine cones are useful if you have a wood-burning fireplace. They're
good for starting fires. My parents used to keep an old washpot full
of them next to the fireplace.

"samurai" sammer003 @ yahoo.ca.spam wrote in message
.. .
I hate the pines and cones under the trees, and sod will not grow
there.

Anyone have a good idea, low maintanence landscape idea for under a
pine tree??

I live in a northern climate, Alberta Canada, here it gets snow,
freezing temperatures for 4-5 months.

samurai.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

school classes." -- Ted Kennedy
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a gorgous hosta garden under mine. Every fall the hostas die off and
until they resprout in the spring you are free to rake up any pine cones or
whayt not.

I give my grandson a big bucket and pay him a penny a pine cone he picks up
and than we play basket ball with the shredder.

Pine cones are useful if you have a wood-burning fireplace. They're
good for starting fires. My parents used to keep an old washpot full
of them next to the fireplace.

And lots of people want them to do all of that Martha Stewart stuff.

"samurai" sammer003 @ yahoo.ca.spam wrote in message
I hate the pines and cones under the trees, and sod will not grow
there.

Anyone have a good idea, low maintanence landscape idea for under a
pine tree??

I live in a northern climate, Alberta Canada, here it gets snow,
freezing temperatures for 4-5 months.

samurai.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have a gorgous hosta garden under mine. Every fall the hostas die off and
until they resprout in the spring you are free to rake up any pine cones or
whayt not.

I give my grandson a big bucket and pay him a penny a pine cone he picks up
and than we play basket ball with the shredder.

Pine cones are useful if you have a wood-burning fireplace. They're
good for starting fires. My parents used to keep an old washpot full
of them next to the fireplace.

And lots of people want them to do all of that Martha Stewart stuff.

One time I was collecting pine cones and a relative assumed they were
for that. I knew they were actually for starting fires.