Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Use what to seal this hole

There is a hole (about 2-3" in diameter) on my basement wall to exterior for
running out the AC coolant line and a few satellite cables. I used
insulation fiberglass to fill it, but still lot of cold air comes through in
winter. What is the best stuff can be used to seal this hole? I guess some
kind of putty may be good? Sometime I may need to re-open it up to add a
cable or wire.

Thanks,

John

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 14:41:55 -0600, "John61"
wrote:

There is a hole (about 2-3" in diameter) on my basement wall to exterior for
running out the AC coolant line and a few satellite cables. I used
insulation fiberglass to fill it, but still lot of cold air comes through in
winter. What is the best stuff can be used to seal this hole? I guess some
kind of putty may be good? Sometime I may need to re-open it up to add a
cable or wire.

I like Great Stuff for those holes. Trims up easily- vermin doesn't
seem to eat it- and it can be removed when you want to.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair
a a is offline

wrote:

There is a hole (about 2-3" in diameter) on my basement wall to exterior for
running out the AC coolant line and a few satellite cables. I used
insulation fiberglass to fill it, but still lot of cold air comes through in
winter. What is the best stuff can be used to seal this hole? I guess some
kind of putty may be good? Sometime I may need to re-open it up to add a
cable or wire.

I like Great Stuff for those holes. Trims up easily- vermin doesn't
seem to eat it- and it can be removed when you want to.

Jim

Yeah - expanding foam from a can at any DIY store.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 21 Oct, 16:41, "John61" wrote:
There is a hole (about 2-3" in diameter) on my basement wall to exterior for
running out the AC coolant line and a few satellite cables. I used
insulation fiberglass to fill it, but still lot of cold air comes through in
winter. What is the best stuff can be used to seal this hole? I guess some
kind of putty may be good? Sometime I may need to re-open it up to add a
cable or wire.

Thanks,

John

Some may suggest expanding foam but for a hole that small (2-3" minus
the space for the cables and AC line) you might want to stick with the
non-expanding type. The smaller the area to be filled, the harder it
can be to control the expanding type. DOW Great Stuff for Windows and
Doors (blue can) is one such non-expanding foam.