DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   What household item can I use to make a record loud noise into the phone? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/218108-what-household-item-can-i-use-make-record-loud-noise-into-phone.html)

Terry October 19th 07 11:12 PM

What household item can I use to make a record loud noise into the phone?

I have had it with being polite to this company. I have asked them to
put me on the do not call list. I have my number on the national do
not call list. I have reported the number to web site. They still
call.

At first, they were calling with a number that would come up on the
caller ID. Now they call with unknown caller. It is from some
consumer credit company. They give a recorded message and press 1 to
find out how to lower your rates.

I wait until an operator answers. When I politely ask to be put on
the do not call list they hang up. One guy was polite, and said he
would add my number to the no call list.

They still call.

JoeSpareBedroom October 19th 07 11:19 PM

"Terry" wrote in message
I have had it with being polite to this company. I have asked them to
put me on the do not call list. I have my number on the national do
not call list. I have reported the number to web site. They still
call.

At first, they were calling with a number that would come up on the
caller ID. Now they call with unknown caller. It is from some
consumer credit company. They give a recorded message and press 1 to
find out how to lower your rates.

I wait until an operator answers. When I politely ask to be put on
the do not call list they hang up. One guy was polite, and said he
would add my number to the no call list.

They still call.

Have some fun with them.
http://howtoprankatelemarketer.ytmnd.com/

Bob F October 20th 07 12:09 AM

"Terry" wrote in message
I have had it with being polite to this company. I have asked them to
put me on the do not call list. I have my number on the national do
not call list. I have reported the number to web site. They still
call.

At first, they were calling with a number that would come up on the
caller ID. Now they call with unknown caller. It is from some
consumer credit company. They give a recorded message and press 1 to
find out how to lower your rates.

I wait until an operator answers. When I politely ask to be put on
the do not call list they hang up. One guy was polite, and said he
would add my number to the no call list.

They still call.

Prosecute
http://www.katu.com/news/3649171.html
http://usgovinfo.about.com/cs/consum...lcomplaint.htm

Bicycle "air" horn.
Loud whistle
Bang phone mic on table

Bob

JoeSpareBedroom October 20th 07 12:13 AM

What household item can I use to make a record loud noise into the phone?

"Bob F" wrote in message
. ..

"Terry" wrote in message
[...]

Boating stores sell aerosol handheld horns. Holy ****. The OP had better
have some serious hearing protection. Even outdoors, they hurt.

EXT October 20th 07 12:27 AM

What household item can I use to make a record loud noise into the phone?

Most of these people work in sweatshops outside the country, very often in
India, the "do not call list" means nothing, hurting the person's ears won't
help, the next one will take over when the computer assigns your number to
him. I find an answering machine helps, when we see an 800 type number or
blocked caller with unknown number we let it take the call. In fact the
machine will cut off a blocked caller with an unknown number and force them
to respond to the answering machine immediately. They hang up immediately.

In fact one called right now as I type this reply. We get about 10 to 20 a
day, nothing you can say or do will stop them, so we don't even bother to
talk to them.

ransley October 20th 07 12:59 AM

"Terry" wrote in message

I have had it with being polite to this company. I have asked them to
put me on the do not call list. I have my number on the national do
not call list. I have reported the number to web site. They still
call.

At first, they were calling with a number that would come up on the
caller ID. Now they call with unknown caller. It is from some
consumer credit company. They give a recorded message and press 1 to
find out how to lower your rates.

I wait until an operator answers. When I politely ask to be put on
the do not call list they hang up. One guy was polite, and said he
would add my number to the no call list.

They still call.- Hide quoted text -

Pay the bill, or change the number, if your innocent file in small
claims.........

clot October 20th 07 01:03 AM

"Terry" wrote in message
I have had it with being polite to this company. I have asked them
to put me on the do not call list. I have my number on the national
do not call list. I have reported the number to web site. They
still call.

At first, they were calling with a number that would come up on the
caller ID. Now they call with unknown caller. It is from some
consumer credit company. They give a recorded message and press 1 to
find out how to lower your rates.

I wait until an operator answers. When I politely ask to be put on
the do not call list they hang up. One guy was polite, and said he
would add my number to the no call list.

They still call.

We have the same problem. Though I've registered with the Telephone
Preference Service (TPS) here in the UK, we continue to get calls from
overseas - predominantly mainland Europe and US, though also from India.
Due to the time difference between UK and US, I now will not respond to
any calls between 18.00 and 21.00 hrs UK because most are from
"Investment Advisors" in the US - I just leave the ansafone to do its
thing! India - it's usually first thing in the morning - but I've gone
out to work. Europe - during my daytime but I'm at work. My main problem
now is taking a day's holiday and being at home!

Frank October 20th 07 01:12 AM

Terry wrote:
I have had it with being polite to this company. I have asked them to
put me on the do not call list. I have my number on the national do
not call list. I have reported the number to web site. They still
call.

At first, they were calling with a number that would come up on the
caller ID. Now they call with unknown caller. It is from some
consumer credit company. They give a recorded message and press 1 to
find out how to lower your rates.

I wait until an operator answers. When I politely ask to be put on
the do not call list they hang up. One guy was polite, and said he
would add my number to the no call list.

They still call.

Not a lot you can do as most are probably off shore. I get faxes from
Cancun for vacations. Getting more junk faxes than real faxes, I keep
machine off line.

My attitude is to try to waste their time and money. I call back 800
numbers because it costs them as does any time you spend cussing them
out. If I have a lot of spare time, I feign interest. I've also told
operators to get a legitimate job where they do not annoy people.
If we all did this, economics would cause them to cease.

For the solicitors like charities that are allowed to call, my standard
answer is that I am retired on fixed income and cannot afford to give.

Also, I refuse to answer surveys.

Always assume anyone that calls you that you do not know is lying to you ;)

Frank

JoeSpareBedroom October 20th 07 01:38 AM

"Terry" wrote in message
I have had it with being polite to this company. I have asked them to
put me on the do not call list. I have my number on the national do
not call list. I have reported the number to web site. They still
call.

At first, they were calling with a number that would come up on the
caller ID. Now they call with unknown caller. It is from some
consumer credit company. They give a recorded message and press 1 to
find out how to lower your rates.

I wait until an operator answers. When I politely ask to be put on
the do not call list they hang up. One guy was polite, and said he
would add my number to the no call list.

They still call.

Got fax software on your computer? Schedule it to call their 800 number
every 60 seconds from the time you go to bed till the time you wake up.

Bob F October 20th 07 01:59 AM

What household item can I use to make a record loud noise into the phone?

anews.com...

"Terry" wrote in message
I have had it with being polite to this company. I have asked them to
put me on the do not call list. I have my number on the national do
not call list. I have reported the number to web site. They still
call.

At first, they were calling with a number that would come up on the
caller ID. Now they call with unknown caller. It is from some
consumer credit company. They give a recorded message and press 1 to
find out how to lower your rates.

I wait until an operator answers. When I politely ask to be put on
the do not call list they hang up. One guy was polite, and said he
would add my number to the no call list.

They still call.

Before the do-not-call-list, I had my answering machine message start with the
tones that you hear when you dial a disconnected number. "Beep-boop-beep -
delay - hello- please leave a message". Supposedly, the auto dialers mark the
number as invalid and remove it. It did seem to make a significant difference
over time.

Google for sit.wav. I easily downloaded it, and just played it through my
computer speakers as I recorded the message.

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/1...tart.html?pg=9

Bob

jmagerl October 20th 07 03:28 AM

What household item can I use to make a record loud noise into the phone?

Google telezapper. $19.99. Or place the sit tones as the first thing on your
answering machine.
IF you have a caller ID compliant modem, there is also software that will
recognize out of area calls and play the SIT tones for you.

There are also gadgets that intercepts all phone calls and the caller has to
enter in a password to be let thru.
IF you didnt give out the password, tough.

AZ Nomad October 20th 07 03:44 AM

On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 17:12:46 -0400, Terry wrote:

I have had it with being polite to this company. I have asked them to
put me on the do not call list. I have my number on the national do
not call list. I have reported the number to web site. They still
call.

moron. You can't make the sound at the other louder by being louder
at your end. It is like thinking that you can turn a 60's VW bug
into an F1 racer by dropping an anvil on the accelerator pedal.

About all you can do with such harassment is get a new phone number.

JoeSpareBedroom October 20th 07 03:54 AM

"AZ Nomad" wrote in message
On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 17:12:46 -0400, Terry wrote:

I have had it with being polite to this company. I have asked them to
put me on the do not call list. I have my number on the national do
not call list. I have reported the number to web site. They still
call.

moron. You can't make the sound at the other louder by being louder
at your end.

Ummm....that's not true.

Larry Bud October 20th 07 03:57 AM

On Oct 19, 9:44 pm, AZ Nomad wrote:
On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 17:12:46 -0400, Terry wrote:
I have had it with being polite to this company. I have asked them to
put me on the do not call list. I have my number on the national do
not call list. I have reported the number to web site. They still
call.

moron. You can't make the sound at the other louder by being louder
at your end. It is like thinking that you can turn a 60's VW bug
into an F1 racer by dropping an anvil on the accelerator pedal.

Obviously that's not completely true. A regular volume voice will
sound louder than a whisper. But it's true that there is a certain
amount of dB compression on that the signal goes through. IOW, the
dynamic range of the telephone is fairly low.

Terry October 20th 07 03:58 AM

What household item can I use to make a record loud noise into the phone?

Moron? Read what you just wrote and then go **** yourself.

Tony Hwang October 20th 07 04:00 AM

Terry wrote:
I have had it with being polite to this company. I have asked them to
put me on the do not call list. I have my number on the national do
not call list. I have reported the number to web site. They still
call.

At first, they were calling with a number that would come up on the
caller ID. Now they call with unknown caller. It is from some
consumer credit company. They give a recorded message and press 1 to
find out how to lower your rates.

I wait until an operator answers. When I politely ask to be put on
the do not call list they hang up. One guy was polite, and said he
would add my number to the no call list.

They still call.

When they call just hang up

terry October 20th 07 04:19 AM

On Oct 20, 12:00 am, Tony Hwang wrote:
Terry wrote:
I have had it with being polite to this company. I have asked them to
put me on the do not call list. I have my number on the national do
not call list. I have reported the number to web site. They still
call.

At first, they were calling with a number that would come up on the
caller ID. Now they call with unknown caller. It is from some
consumer credit company. They give a recorded message and press 1 to
find out how to lower your rates.

I wait until an operator answers. When I politely ask to be put on
the do not call list they hang up. One guy was polite, and said he
would add my number to the no call list.

They still call.

When they call just hang up- Hide quoted text -

No speaka da Ingleesh; eh?
With that in mind next time I'm in the Middle East I must learn som
phrases in say, Persian or Swahili. Problem is the calls might be
coming from a country where they understand those languages! Hmm!
And I don't really want to buy voice message service!

tom October 20th 07 04:25 AM

http://phonetray.traysoft.com/ptfree_features.htm

Tater October 20th 07 04:40 AM

On Oct 19, 4:12 pm, Terry wrote:
I have had it with being polite to this company. I have asked them to
put me on the do not call list. I have my number on the national do
not call list. I have reported the number to web site. They still
call.

At first, they were calling with a number that would come up on the
caller ID. Now they call with unknown caller. It is from some
consumer credit company. They give a recorded message and press 1 to
find out how to lower your rates.

I wait until an operator answers. When I politely ask to be put on
the do not call list they hang up. One guy was polite, and said he
would add my number to the no call list.

They still call.

you can't. all phones got decibel limiters on them. scream as loud as
you want, but it only comes out their end at a certain volume.

tell them that you answering them is a service, billable at $1000 per
minute, 3 minutes minimum. (make sure to record this), send it to a
lawyer and have the lawyer send them a bill.

AZ Nomad October 20th 07 05:23 AM

wrote:

On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 17:12:46 -0400, Terry wrote:

I have had it with being polite to this company. I have asked them to
put me on the do not call list. I have my number on the national do
not call list. I have reported the number to web site. They still
call.

moron. You can't make the sound at the other louder by being louder
at your end. It is like thinking that you can turn a 60's VW bug
into an F1 racer by dropping an anvil on the accelerator pedal.

About all you can do with such harassment is get a new phone number.

Moron? Read what you just wrote and then go **** yoursel

I read the subject line, moron.

Smitty Two October 20th 07 05:23 AM

What household item can I use to make a record loud noise into the phone?

In article ,
Terry wrote:

I have had it with being polite to this company. I have asked them to
put me on the do not call list. I have my number on the national do
not call list. I have reported the number to web site. They still
call.

At first, they were calling with a number that would come up on the
caller ID. Now they call with unknown caller. It is from some
consumer credit company. They give a recorded message and press 1 to
find out how to lower your rates.

I wait until an operator answers. When I politely ask to be put on
the do not call list they hang up. One guy was polite, and said he
would add my number to the no call list.

They still call.

I got 'em to stop calling, after finding a message from them every
single day when I got home from work.

I called the toll free number they left, and I read them the riot act.
Very loud, very demanding, and extraordinarily profane. Beat the woman
who answered into a puddle of jello, I imagine. That was a month ago,
and I haven't heard a peep since.

Calvin Henry-Cotnam October 20th 07 06:18 AM

What household item can I use to make a record loud noise into the phone?

Terry ) said...

They still call.

Their time is money - they need to move on as soon as possible.

So -- cut them off right away and say you REALLY want to hear about their
product but have to clear up something first, so hold on to the line.

Then put the phone down and walk away from it for five minutes.

If they are still there after five minutes, "appologize" for keeping them,
but also say you have to have them hold on again, for "just a minute".

Another five minutes should get rid of them.

And best of all... your number will likely be put on a "don't call
because they waste your time" list.

--
Calvin Henry-Cotnam
"I really think Canada should get over to Iraq as quickly as possible"

EXT October 20th 07 03:48 PM

What household item can I use to make a record loud noise into the phone?

"Tater" wrote in message
ps.com...
On Oct 19, 4:12 pm, Terry wrote:
[...]

Who would you send it to, their not going to give you an address. Most use
800 numbers that are only one way, you cannot dial them back, or they use
fake numbers. I often get this number on my display 000 000 0000. They are
calling through a Skype or internet connection from overseas. Changing your
phone number won't help, as they are not dialing you specifically, their
computer just keeps trying random or sequential numbers untill someone
answers then it feeds it to a person who gives his spiel to you.

Paul MR October 21st 07 01:05 AM

Terry wrote:
I have had it with being polite to this company. I have asked them to
put me on the do not call list. I have my number on the national do
not call list. I have reported the number to web site. They still
call.

At first, they were calling with a number that would come up on the
caller ID. Now they call with unknown caller. It is from some
consumer credit company. They give a recorded message and press 1 to
find out how to lower your rates.

I wait until an operator answers. When I politely ask to be put on
the do not call list they hang up. One guy was polite, and said he
would add my number to the no call list.

They still call.

Normally telephone companies compress the signal so much that even a
loud noise (referee's whistle, e.g.) comes out very softly on the other
end. The answering machine usually screens our calls. On the rare
occasions I pick up first, right after the salesperson says "how are
you" and I say "fine," I just lay the receiver down and walk away for a
minute or two. They give their spiel to the air.
Paul

Jim Redelfs October 22nd 07 05:45 AM

"Steve Barker LT" wrote:

Change your number for 30 days. The phone co. will do this for free.

They will?

That will come as a surprise to most, if not all, telcos.
--
:)
JR

mark October 26th 07 04:45 PM

Terry wrote:
I have had it with being polite to this company. I have asked them to
put me on the do not call list. I have my number on the national do
not call list. I have reported the number to web site. They still
call.

At first, they were calling with a number that would come up on the
caller ID. Now they call with unknown caller. It is from some
consumer credit company. They give a recorded message and press 1 to
find out how to lower your rates.

I wait until an operator answers. When I politely ask to be put on
the do not call list they hang up. One guy was polite, and said he
would add my number to the no call list.

They still call.

freon air horn, used for "signalling boats"

works every time..... scrambles the brain of the telemarketer

dpb October 26th 07 04:45 PM

Mark wrote:
Terry wrote:

They still call.

freon air horn, used for "signalling boats"

works every time..... scrambles the brain of the telemarketer

Except there are an essentially infinite number of others in the wings.
Other than reporting the offending company to regulators, there's little
can do other than simply just hang it up that will have any real effect.

z October 26th 07 08:20 PM

What household item can I use to make a record loud noise into the phone?

On Oct 19, 6:13 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"Bob F" wrote in message

. ..

"Terry" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Yeah, but the phone system won't transmit that loud. There just isn't
enough wattage.

Bob F October 31st 07 07:05 AM

"Mark" wrote in message
Terry wrote:
I have had it with being polite to this company. I have asked them to
put me on the do not call list. I have my number on the national do
not call list. I have reported the number to web site. They still
call.

At first, they were calling with a number that would come up on the
caller ID. Now they call with unknown caller. It is from some
consumer credit company. They give a recorded message and press 1 to
find out how to lower your rates.

I wait until an operator answers. When I politely ask to be put on
the do not call list they hang up. One guy was polite, and said he
would add my number to the no call list.

They still call.

freon air horn, used for "signalling boats"

works every time..... scrambles the brain of the telemarketer

Brains??

Telemarketers have brains?

Bob

AZ Nomad October 31st 07 08:26 AM

On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 09:45:12 -0500, Mark wrote:

Terry wrote:
I have had it with being polite to this company. I have asked them to
put me on the do not call list. I have my number on the national do
not call list. I have reported the number to web site. They still
call.

At first, they were calling with a number that would come up on the
caller ID. Now they call with unknown caller. It is from some
consumer credit company. They give a recorded message and press 1 to
find out how to lower your rates.

I wait until an operator answers. When I politely ask to be put on
the do not call list they hang up. One guy was polite, and said he
would add my number to the no call list.

They still call.

freon air horn, used for "signalling boats"

works every time..... scrambles the brain of the telemarketer

moron

The only person it can deafen is you. A phone line has a signal to noise ratio
of less than 30db. Talking a little loud or using the airhorn will sound the
same at the other end.

hobbes October 31st 07 11:20 AM

On Oct 19, 5:12 pm, Terry wrote:
I have had it with being polite to this company. I have asked them to
put me on the do not call list. I have my number on the national do
not call list. I have reported the number to web site. They still
call.

At first, they were calling with a number that would come up on the
caller ID. Now they call with unknown caller. It is from some
consumer credit company. They give a recorded message and press 1 to
find out how to lower your rates.

I wait until an operator answers. When I politely ask to be put on
the do not call list they hang up. One guy was polite, and said he
would add my number to the no call list.

They still call.

Hi,

Looks like you have a repeat caller problem. The gooding thing to know
is bad data is difficult to strip from a database. So this is what you
do.

You need to make a new fake person. Mr. Doughnut, who lives at a new
fake address. Pick a road in the same zip code (not your road), and
make up a house number which no one has, say 1502 on a road where the
house numbers only go up to 100 say. Now also make up a Social
Security number with the right number of digits. Make sure that this
new person is over 21 years old and has an income of say 30,000 USD.

But give them your real phone number.

They will add you as a new happy subsciber. And take your number off
their call list :) ..... They will probablly check your SSN etc, and
discover that it is not correct. They may phone you back. Just keep
reafirming the details when they do.

They may keep calling, but hopefully less .... and just think of all
the dollars they will spend trying to sort gthe mess out. And it is
difficult to strip the data from their database ... because that data
is very believable ..... you can even pretend to be a very desperate
pewrson etc ... oh the fun and games.

Good luck ....

Warmest regards, Mike.

clot October 31st 07 06:49 PM

hobbes wrote:
On Oct 19, 5:12 pm, Terry wrote:
[...]

Thank you, it sure made me laugh! :)

greg2468 October 31st 07 07:20 PM

On Oct 31, 6:20 am, hobbes wrote:
On Oct 19, 5:12 pm, Terry wrote:

[...]

For fun and games, I let them go through their whole spiel and then i
just reply to any question with "what?".

[email protected] November 1st 07 12:54 PM

What household item can I use to make a record loud noise into the phone?

On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 23:05:06 -0700, "Bob F"
wrote:

Terry wrote:
I have had it with being polite to this company. I have asked them to
put me on the do not call list. I have my number on the national do
not call list. I have reported the number to web site. They still
call.

At first, they were calling with a number that would come up on the
caller ID. Now they call with unknown caller. It is from some
consumer credit company. They give a recorded message and press 1 to
find out how to lower your rates.

I wait until an operator answers. When I politely ask to be put on
the do not call list they hang up. One guy was polite, and said he
would add my number to the no call list.

They still call.

Beans. Eat a full pound or more. Wait about 30 minutes and you will
be armed and ready for a telemarketer. When they call, just let er
rip !!!!

Mark Lloyd November 1st 07 03:47 PM

wrote:

Terry wrote:
I have had it with being polite to this company. I have asked them to
put me on the do not call list. I have my number on the national do
not call list. I have reported the number to web site. They still
call.

At first, they were calling with a number that would come up on the
caller ID. Now they call with unknown caller. It is from some
consumer credit company. They give a recorded message and press 1 to
find out how to lower your rates.

I wait until an operator answers. When I politely ask to be put on
the do not call list they hang up. One guy was polite, and said he
would add my number to the no call list.

They still call.

Beans. Eat a full pound or more. Wait about 30 minutes and you will
be armed and ready for a telemarketer. When they call, just let er
rip !!!!

"PFFFFT!!!! BEEP! BOOP! BEEP! We're sorry, but the call you are making
contains no acceptable content. Please hang up and don't try again.
This is a recording." :-)

Actually there's a few callers I'd like to give such a message to.
Anyone know of an answering machine that uses caller ID to give a
certain message to only selected callers?

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"All your western theologies, the whole mythology of them,
are based on the concept of God as a senile delinquent."
-- Tennessee Williams