Posted to alt.home.repair

Default This Old [millionaires] House

"Bill" wrote in message
I don't know about you, but these home improvement shows are WAY beyond my
budget lately.

I was watching This Old House last night and they had a $3000.00 plus
consultant hired in to study backyard water drainage and give
recommendations. Then they hired a crane to cut down a tree! (So they
could "lower" it down gently.) I'm sure that cost a pretty penny.

I just can't relate to these shows anymore so far as my home goes and my
budget. ($30,000.00 for a kitchen remodel, $60,000.00 to fix the place up
a bit, etc.)

Most people I know are hard pressed to come up with a few thousand dollars
for home projects...

I find it hard to understand the shows where they are shopping for a new
house or adding onto the old because the old house was only 4000 square
foot. We've raised two kids and never lived in anything larger than 1450
sq. ft., except for an old farm house we rented when first married. How on
earth do they pay the taxes on those big places. Here in N. Illinois, I
know of people paying over $12,000 per year Real Estate taxes, driving big
SUV's and Lexus' and I read that the high paying jobs have left this area.
Must be a lot of people dealing drugs or something.

Tom G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

willshak wrote:
on 10/19/2007 6:44 PM Red Green said the following:
David Starr wrote in
:

On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 11:32:29 -0700, jJim McLaughlin
wrote:

When TOH first started 30 plus years ago, Russ Morash was not
so greedy, and
WGBH was a simple local public tv station in the Brighton
neighborhood of Boston,
not a mega provider of content to PBS.

The first TOH project was a smple house in Dorchester, Mass., not
far from where

I lived, and it was a simple and do able budget.

I remember watching Bob V. making kitchen cabinet boxes with a table
saw (yup, Sears) on one of the earlier shows. Bob actually got his
hands dirty (Gasp!). - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - Retired Shop Rat: 14,647 days in a GM plant.
Now I can do what I enjoy: Large Format Photography

Web Site: www.destarr.com
-

Bob actually got his hands dirty

Running them through a sawblade?
(Norm pulls a funny on Bob and told him it was a "Hot Dog" saw. Yuk
yuk.)

Norm was a craftsman. Vila was just an emcee.

Responding from the other side of The Pond, I used to watch TOH with
Norm on it. Whilst it was quite interesting and useful, my main
facination with it was as a mild comedy. We all have these workshops,
right?

emcee - no idea? Please help!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Norm is a machinist, who just happens to work in wood instead of metal.

As much as I like his one-man show (which is presumably why he isn't on
ATOH), I'd like to see him do some projects with just the skill saw,
jigsaw, hand drill, and hand tools that most limited-budget,
limited-space DIYs have. (In the real world, if you have a cheap table
saw at home, you are considered lucky, much less a planer and joiner and
biscut cutter, ad nauseum.) A couple years ago, they made a big deal on
a few shows of showing how to do a particular procedure without the
expensive tools, but I guess the sponsors who equip hos shop bitched
about that, because it seems to have gone away.

aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:

Norm is a machinist, who just happens to work in wood instead of metal.

As much as I like his one-man show (which is presumably why he isn't on
ATOH), I'd like to see him do some projects with just the skill saw,
jigsaw, hand drill, and hand tools that most limited-budget,
limited-space DIYs have. (In the real world, if you have a cheap table
saw at home, you are considered lucky, much less a planer and joiner and
biscut cutter, ad nauseum.) A couple years ago, they made a big deal on
a few shows of showing how to do a particular procedure without the
expensive tools, but I guess the sponsors who equip hos shop bitched
about that, because it seems to have gone away.

aem sends...

I agree, the sponsors might get most of the credit for
upselling and making the shows DIY for doctors ;-) Several
years ago, our local PBS carried several "home grown" DIY
shows from an upper midwest PBS station. Two were dad/son
shows that really had a lot of good how-to's and tips on
each 1/2hr show. Only lasted a few seasons.

-- larry / dallas
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "clot" wrote:

emcee - no idea? Please help!

emcee = M.C. = Master of Ceremonies

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , "clot"
wrote:

emcee - no idea? Please help!

emcee = M.C. = Master of Ceremonies

My thanks, much appreciated.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"hillacc at yahoo.com" wrote in message
ps.com...
On Oct 19, 5:13 pm, "Bob F" wrote:
"dpb" wrote in ...
hillacc at yahoo.com wrote:
On Oct 19, 11:03 am, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"Bill" wrote in message

... Last night, they showed how to replace an old cast
iron toilet flange so the toilet won't rock on a newly installed
floor. Not very glamorous or expensive, but lots of tips ...

Actually, the part I saw that was pretty kewl was the plaster wall repair
w/
the adhesive behind the wall to stick it to the lath again and the
plastic-washer screws into the lath to bring the section back into solid
contact. Hadn't seen that before.

Can you describe this in any more detail? This sounds like something I could
use.

Bob

I imagine it will be on the TOH website. In essence, they drilled
many small holes in the wall all along the areas of plaster cracking,
then injected an adhesive into the holes (with a caulk gun). Then,
they drilled in screws with attached large, round, plastic washers,
which pulled the lath and plaster into contact with each other. You
could see the adhesive squirt out the holes as the plaster and lath
were pulled together. After allowing the adhesive to dry, they
removed the screws/washers, skim coated the wall (is that the right
term?), and when dry, it was perfect and ready to paint.

Thank you. That's good info.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

larry wrote in
et:

aemeijers wrote:

[...]

This one used no modern power tools.

http://www.pbs.org/wws/

--
Red...

"If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

http://www.RedGreen.com/index.cfm?app=cart&a=menu
http://www.RedGreen.com/files/layout...rg_gal_028.jpg

http://www.pbs.org/redgreen/about.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bill" wrote in message
I don't know about you, but these home improvement shows are WAY beyond my
budget lately.

I was watching This Old House last night and they had a $3000.00 plus
consultant hired in to study backyard water drainage and give
recommendations. Then they hired a crane to cut down a tree! (So they
could "lower" it down gently.) I'm sure that cost a pretty penny.

I just can't relate to these shows anymore so far as my home goes and my
budget. ($30,000.00 for a kitchen remodel, $60,000.00 to fix the place up
a bit, etc.)

Most people I know are hard pressed to come up with a few thousand dollars
for home projects...

I agree. They seem to show the same sets of shows on an endless loop on
DIY. They are hopelessly out of touch from what the common slob can afford
to do. They did that house in Carlile, MA. What a joke. You could have
fit my house in the basement of the "L" they added on. They hire exterior
designers, and closet designers. (there's a carrer is designing closets????)

And what's up with the HVAC systems they put in these houses??? ****, I bet
they are spendy!!!!

Did anyone see the shows where they did George's (ugly) house? What's up
with that guy? How could one person need so much space? He must be gay!!
They spent 80,000 on a teak staircase! I'll bet he has over a million into
that ugly ass house.

What's up with Kevin O'Conner? He looks like a grown up version of Ralphie
from a "Christmas Story" and is a dumbass to boot. I seen a show where
he was helping Tom Silva do something, and all Tom got done was telling
Ralphie how to do stuff.

I still watch the show infrequently, but it doesn't relate to the kinds of
projects I would do. I always thought "Hometime" did a much better job of
that.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Bob F wrote:
"hillacc at yahoo.com" wrote in message
ps.com...
On Oct 19, 5:13 pm, "Bob F" wrote:
"Bill" wrote in message
... Last night, they showed how to replace an old cast
iron toilet flange so the toilet won't rock on a newly installed
floor. Not very glamorous or expensive, but lots of tips ...
Actually, the part I saw that was pretty kewl was the plaster wall repair
w/
the adhesive behind the wall to stick it to the lath again and the
plastic-washer screws into the lath to bring the section back into solid
contact. Hadn't seen that before.
Can you describe this in any more detail? This sounds like something I could
use.

Bob

I imagine it will be on the TOH website. In essence, they drilled
many small holes in the wall all along the areas of plaster cracking,

Thank you. That's good info.

I caught it late enough in the process I don't know the product itself,
but it could be improvised readily enough. Would probably be good to
find the particular adhesive as it was a two-part system--first there
was a wetting agent, then the adhesive; not just a single acrylic-like
caulk.

From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/This_Old_House
"Kevin O'Connor /wiki/Kevin_O%27Connor_%28television%29 is the current
host. Before O'Connor joined the cast, he was a homeowner who appeared
on /Ask This Old House/ having problems with wallpaper removal"

They apparently liked his demeanor.

I still watch the show infrequently, but it doesn't relate to the
kinds of projects I would do. I always thought "Hometime" did a much
better job of that.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

dpb wrote:
I caught it late enough in the process I don't know the product itself,
but it could be improvised readily enough. ...

By that I meant the mechanical fasteners portion. The adhesive is
probably significant to identify anyway...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 20, 7:47 am, dpb wrote:
Bob F wrote:
"hillacc at yahoo.com" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Oct 19, 5:13 pm, "Bob F" wrote:
"Bill" wrote in message
[...]

Here's the recap from the TOH website:

"Repairing cracked plaster

Tom helped a homeowner repair an old, cracked plaster wall using a new
system for securing the plaster back to the wooden lath underneath.
Tom started by drilling a series of holes in the plaster and then
vacuumed out the loose debris. He then sprayed a "conditioner" and
injected a special adhesive into each hole. Tom then used plastic
washers and screws around the cracks, which acted like "clamps,"
pulling the sagging plaster back tight against the wood laths. Once
the adhesive had set, Tom removed the plastic washers and applied
joint compound over the entire area to fill the holes and smooth out
the plaster.

Where to find it?

Big Wally's Plaster Magic
Brattleboro, VT 05301
802-254-1330
www.bigwallys.us"

(All above from the website, not my personal referral or anything.)
Jo Ann

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

hillacc at yahoo.com wrote:
Big Wally's Plaster Magic

www.bigwallys.us"

"The adhesive is a resin-based, acrylic emulsion. It has a thick,
shaving cream consistency that is white when wet, turning translucent
when cured. The conditioner is a thin, liquid, acrylic mixture; it is
white when wet and dries clear. Both must be kept from freezing."

Interesting. Tried to find a link to the MSDS -- none provided. A
Google didn't make any hits for the combination, either.

My guess is it's a repacking of some 3M/GE/somebody's adhesive w/
somebody's (is there a real "Wally"? ) clever idea for a way to
repair plaster walls.

Power to him...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 08:44:29 -0700, "Bill"
wrote:

I don't know about you, but these home improvement shows are WAY beyond my
budget lately.

I was watching This Old House last night and they had a $3000.00 plus
consultant hired in to study backyard water drainage and give
recommendations. Then they hired a crane to cut down a tree! (So they could
"lower" it down gently.) I'm sure that cost a pretty penny.

I just can't relate to these shows anymore so far as my home goes and my
budget. ($30,000.00 for a kitchen remodel, $60,000.00 to fix the place up a
bit, etc.)

Most people I know are hard pressed to come up with a few thousand dollars
for home projects...

I've felt that way for the last 10 years. In fact I used to enjoy
those shows but rarely watch them anymore. They are not suited to the
average home owner/repair. Heck, when my furnace breaks down, I get
out my tools and fix it myself. I dont replace the whole thing and
have some company do all the work too. I am older and I lived in the
days when everyone had to struggle to get by. These days I still
struggle like most people, but these shows are designed for the upper
crust crowd only. I am all for recycling, and these shows are so
wasteful too. I recall one of them where they took an old house,
gutted it, and tore down half of it too. In the end, all that
remained of the house was the frame, and only half the house. And the
original house was much nicer than mine. Whats the point of that.
Why not leave someone live in the old house and just build a new one.
On that same show they tore down a nearly new 2 car garage and just
destroyed it. I would have died to own that garage, but for the
millionaire crowd, it had to be a 4 car, and be attached to the house.
Dumb dumb dumb....

###########_______________##############

Posted to alt.home.repair

clipped

[...]

As my county assessor likes to say, "more money than brains". During
the land rush around these parts, loads of waterfront homes - perfectly
good - have been torn up to replace with McMansions. The McMansions all
have the same architectural quality - one of every kind of window and
decorative element from the catalog. They cover every inch of buildable
space on the lot, dwarf neighboring homes, and are rarely occupied. One
huge condo complex, built during the hottest time of the land rush, is
almost totally dark at night - maybe three or four units with lights on.
Investors, living elsewhere.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 20, 8:44 am, "J.A. Michel" wrote:

What's up with Kevin O'Conner? He looks like a grown up version of Ralphie
from a "Christmas Story" and is a dumbass to boot. I seen a show where
he was helping Tom Silva do something, and all Tom got done was telling
Ralphie how to do stuff.

Kevin O'Conner asks dumb questions so that Tom Silva will be able to
present
the material to the audience in a way that seems natural. Think of
Kevin
as the shill in the audience. If I recall correctly, they
"discovered" Kevin
when he sent a question to Ask This Old House. He'd done a lot of
work on
his own house, but had some issue that they thought would be
interesting to
have on ATOH. He looked good on camera, and his predecessory (Steve)
was ready to leave, so they hired Kevin. Before being on TOH, Kevin
was
an attorney.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 22 Oct, 10:17, Cindy Hamilton
wrote:
[...]

I was watching TOH last night. They were installing the tank for a
septic system. As the scene opened, Richard Trethewey had his hands
on the septic tank as it was being lowered into place by the crane.
He was calling out commands - "Easy", "Slowly", "OK, keep coming".
Kevin appears on camera and starts talking to Rich about the system.
Rich takes his hands off the tank, and begins walking with, and
talking to, Kevin about the installation process.

Meanwhile, the camera shows the crane still lowering the tank into the
hole, and I'm like "OK, if Rich was *really* guiding this massive
tank into place, who's doing it now?" It was obvious that it was all
for show and they didn't need Rich's help at all. I had to laugh!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

That's good. I'd expect the real guide was using hand signals, or
maybe
a radio.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:

I was watching TOH last night. They were installing the tank for a
septic system. As the scene opened, Richard Trethewey had his hands
on the septic tank as it was being lowered into place by the crane.
He was calling out commands - "Easy", "Slowly", "OK, keep coming".
Kevin appears on camera and starts talking to Rich about the system.
Rich takes his hands off the tank, and begins walking with, and
talking to, Kevin about the installation process.

Meanwhile, the camera shows the crane still lowering the tank into the
hole, and I'm like "OK, if Rich was *really* guiding this massive
tank into place, who's doing it now?" It was obvious that it was all
for show and they didn't need Rich's help at all. I had to laugh!

I was watching an interview of that blond who was on one of the "you can
do it" type shows sponsored by home cheepo. It was the show where just
her and her male partner would accomplish stupendous stuff in a weekend
like remodeling the basement and adding a sauna and steamroom after
relocating the gas service and sewer line. Or adding a huge wraparound
deck on a home.

She went on to describe that she was a model and didn't have a clue
about construction and that someplace else would place all of the tiles
for example and they would pose her and film her placing the last one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On 22 Oct, 16:06, George wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:

[...]

I don't remember the name and I would watch it sometimes just for
entertainment. I haven't seen it for some time and don't know if it is
still on. I didn't know about the show and my buddy mentioned he watched
it for a laugh. It would open with both of them in "their house" on
Saturday exclaiming something like it would be nice to have a deck. And
then 1-2-3 there was a multi-tier wrap around deck finished by Sunday
night.
Posted to alt.home.repair

George writes:

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On 22 Oct, 16:06, George wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:

[...]

I think you're talking about Hometime,
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 19, 3:34 pm, willshak wrote:
on 10/19/2007 3:28 PM DerbyDad03 said the following:

On 19 Oct, 11:44, "Bill" wrote:

I hated Bob Vila. Did you ever notice that he has to touch everything?

That's funny what you said about Bob Vila.

You know what my pet peeve of the new TOH and Ask TOH shows is?
Overuse of the the word "space".

Does any one agree with me that the word "SPACE" is way overused by
Kevin O. and others on the show?? Sometime if I'm bored, I'm going to
watch a show with a pencil and paper and put a hash mark down each
someone says the word "space".

"This space will be the master bedroom. The designer is going to
decorate this space with a vintage purple shag carpet from circa 1970
to give this space a groovy, free-lovin', disco, 70's feel. The walls
in this space will carpeted with a contrasting color to complete the
feel of this space"

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 19 Oct, 11:44, "Bill" wrote:

I hated Bob Vila. Did you ever notice that he has to touch everything?

That's funny what you said about Bob Vila.

You know what my pet peeve of the new TOH and Ask TOH shows is?
Overuse of the the word "space".

Does any one agree with me that the word "SPACE" is way overused by
Kevin O. and others on the show?? Sometime if I'm bored, I'm going to
watch a show with a pencil and paper and put a hash mark down each
someone says the word "space".

"This space will be the master bedroom. The designer is going to
decorate this space with a vintage purple shag carpet from circa 1970
to give this space a groovy, free-lovin', disco, 70's feel. The walls
in this space will carpeted with a contrasting color to complete the
feel of this space"

I guess in a lot of new homes, you just can't tell what ROOM
you're in ;-) Also, maybe we are returning to one room
houses -make that- one space.

-larry / dallas