Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Did they change treated lumber AGAIN?

On Oct 22, 1:59?am, wrote:
On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 06:47:20 -0700, Jack
wrote:

On Oct 19, 6:45 am, ransley wrote:
On Oct 19, 6:18 am, wrote:

I know that awhile back they removed the arsenic from treated lumber
and the new lumber was almost all copper treated. I read that this
new variety was extremely destructive to nails and screws, and one had
to use expensive stainless steel fastners. I just bought some treated
2x6s for a small deck and asked the store clerk what fastners to use.
He said just common nails or screws would work. I told him what I had
read about the new variety of treated wood, when he told me the lumber
I am buying is not corrosive. This was at a big box home center, and
although this guy is the store manager, not just some 20 year old kid,
I had my doubts about his advice.

I went to another local lumberyard, which is strictly only a lumber
yard and told the guy I wanted fastners that dont corrode from the new
treated lumber. He told me that if I bought it in the past month or
so, I could likely just use common fastners. I asked why "in the last
month". He said they changed the formula AGAIN. He could not tell me
much more but said this recently occurred.

OK, now I have 2 guys who said this.....

What's the deal? How did they change this lumber? What can I use now
for fastners?

Thanks
Alvin

Its amazing that stores dont know what they sell, and that your deck
or whatever can fail eventualy from the fasteners failing, if you use
the wrong ones. Your wood should have tags stapled on the ends or
contact the store where you purchased it and then the manufacturer.
But the store should get you the right answer. I think stainless is
fine or the screws treated for decks, but I dont know. In 10-20 years
we will likely have porches falling down killing people from fasteners
failing. You would think stores would have this issue noted with signs
so they are not liable when decks fail from people using the wrong
products.

My two cents worth. I was in the lumber treating business for a period
of ten years ,70-80. The best long treatment back then was Penta, but
then the EPA decided it was to toxic to use. Since, they have came up
with different formulas. Really, I don't think any are worth their
cost. a good coat of paint is your best protection.

I remember Penta, in fact I think I have a few gallons of it in my
garage yet. Before that there was Creosote, which seems to have
always worked. Heck, my original barn is built from posts that are
creosote coated power poles. The barn was built in the 60's. The
posts were probably used power poles. All but one of them is still in
great shape. (One was rotten at the ground level and I had to install
another post next to it and bolt them together). These poles are
probably 60 or more years old. They also banned creosote, (except for
power poles). I really could never understand how coal tar could be
so toxic. Although creosote is pretty messy. I agree on the paint,
but underground that dont help (as in posts).

What gets me is that I have never met any person that eats lumber.
Yet, I have had horses chew up (the old) treated wood adn they never
died from it. These days I only use hardwood around them, or cover
the treated wood with metal. So, while we people that dont eat lumber
are now safe if we do, we will in 10 years or so, fall to our deaths
when the nails fail on our upper porches, and if that dont happen,
ConAgra will kill us with their constantly contaminated food of late.

By the way, I looked at one board that I have near the house and it
says C2 C9. I assume that means copper treatment, thus needs the
special fastners. This is NOT the stuff I just bought which is not
put away at the moment.

probably best to outlaw all fasteners but stainless, to prevent
confusion.

dont laugh regulators MUST justify their jobs, or get unemployeed.

altough I agree with banmning known hazards, better safe than sorry
espically around kids

Posted to alt.home.repair

According to JoeSpareBedroom :
"Chris Lewis" wrote in message
According to JoeSpareBedroom :
"Chris Lewis" wrote in message
According to HeyBub :

No one, so far as I can tell, has ever died or gotten sick from
treated
lumber.

There seems to be adequate evidence that people _have_ gotten
harmed by CCA lumber. But this isn't playground/back deck/cottage
dock etc contact.

This is people who routinely burn CCA (despite everything
telling you _not_ to burn CCA) or have long term exposure to
copious quantities of CCA sawdust without any precautions
whatsoever.

The latter is a hazard with untreated cedar too.

I agree it's overblown. But it isn't a complete myth.

Clevis

Is a metal pin. You seem confused.

thinks the old type of treated lumber should've been kept on the
market until children actually got sick and they became "data".

We've had several generations of children grow up with that stuff,
and not get sick.

There's actually more proof that cedar lumber can harm you (including
my own personal experiences). OSHA rates it as a carcinogen and
sensitizer.

Should we ban cedar too?

I don't know. Has cedar ever been used as a method of murder?

I'm sure that more than one person has met their end by being
clunked with a piece of cedar.
--
Chris Lewis,

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote in message ...
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
So, if you find out that your kid has a toy which was later recalled due
to high levels of lead, you let the kid keep the toy?

Yes or no.

Do you let the kid keep the toy?

If the kid is beyond the chewing stage, why not? ...

Joe, otoh, being a totally responsible parent would of course, not allow
his kids to have toys on the presumption they _would_ contain lead.

Although in reality, I must presume that being such a stellar protector of
the young he thought even farther ahead and has therefore ensured he
doesn't have any in order to fully protect them from all of these
inevitable hazards.

--

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/science...den/index.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message ...
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
So, if you find out that your kid has a toy which was later
recalled due to high levels of lead, you let the kid keep the
toy?

Yes or no.

Do you let the kid keep the toy?

If the kid is beyond the chewing stage, why not? ...

Joe, otoh, being a totally responsible parent would of course, not
allow his kids to have toys on the presumption they _would_
contain lead.

Although in reality, I must presume that being such a stellar
protector of the young he thought even farther ahead and has
therefore ensured he doesn't have any in order to fully protect
them from all of these inevitable hazards.

--

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/science...den/index.html

And the papa says...

"I'm angry at my government for failing to regulate chemicals that are
in mass production and in consumer products." Hammond says. "I don't
think it should have to be up to me to worry about what's in my
couch."

Sic semper personal responsibility

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dadiOH" wrote in message
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message ...
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

Umm...we're supposed to know what's in a couch? Not buy couches?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 23, 7:36 am, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"dadiOH" wrote in message

> [...]

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"dpb" wrote in ...
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

Umm...we're supposed to know what's in a couch? Not buy couches?- Hide quoted text -

It's kind of a funny problem.

We want kids not to burn to death, so we put fire retardants in their
pajamas.

We want kids not to be cut by broken glass, so we make all their stuff
out
of plastic.

It seems like everything we do to protect kids from the dangers we
know
exposes them to dangers we don't know.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 20, 10:36 am, Robert Allison wrote:
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"dpb" wrote in ...

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

"dpb" wrote in ...

...If that were the case ... it shouldn't take someone else more than
about 30 seconds to counter the argument.

OK. Have a nice day.

So, I take it you're off on a literature search?

--

Of course not. I suggest that you gather your conclusions and present them
to the appropriate parties who were involved in forcing a change in the

There was no forced change. The EPA did study after study,
and did not find evidence to even put a warning (other than
the one that existed) on PT lumber. The manufacturers
voluntarily chose to change the formulation, not due to
regulation, but due to the fear of lawsuits from idiots.

I have worked with CCA for over 30 years. I have been exposed
to it for that amount of time in a manner that would cause far
more than the minimal contact that a child would ever get,
yet, I am fine. So are all of the other 400 or so carpenters
that I know or have known personally. So where did you get
your data again. How long do you think that I have to live?

Due to the fact that I was forced to be exposed to it, I have
done extensive research on the subject and I can tell you that
you are simply wrong. Unless you burn it, you have nothing to
fear from the old CCA. And neither does anyone else.

Worry about lightning. Or your salt intake. It will be far
more productive.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

Aye! There are places where the water supply contains more arsenic
than you could get off the lumber and that amount meets government
safety regs.

Harry K

Posted to rec.boats,alt.autos.toyota,rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair

Default Did Scott stop taking his thorazine again?

DANCING WITH THE LOSERS wrote:

Did you tell everyone that you're a grocery store clerk, and your son stays
stoned 24/7,

I thought not!

Scott, you really need to go back on your psycho meds.

Posted to rec.boats,alt.autos.toyota,rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair

In article .com,
larry moe 'n curly wrote:

DANCING WITH THE LOSERS wrote:

Did you tell everyone that you're a grocery store clerk, and your son stays
stoned 24/7,

I thought not!

Scott, you really need to go back on your psycho meds.

Where do you buy it larry moe? I won't' tell, promise.

Or do you grow your own, in the basement or do you have a patch out in
the rainforest somewhere? Just curious.
Posted to rec.boats,alt.autos.toyota,rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair

Big Endian wrote:

In article .com,
larry moe 'n curly wrote:

DANCING WITH THE LOSERS wrote:

Did you tell everyone that you're a grocery store clerk, and your son stays
stoned 24/7,

I thought not!

Scott, you really need to go back on your psycho meds.

Where do you buy it larry moe? I won't' tell, promise.
Or do you grow your own, in the basement or do you have a patch out in
the rainforest somewhere? Just curious.

Get a loaf of rye bread, and keep it in a plastic bag until it starts
to look like this:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/56/14...5c1e87087f.jpg

Then eat or snort, but not alone. Serves up to 100.

Posted to rec.boats,alt.autos.toyota,rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair

In article .com,
larry moe 'n curly wrote:

Big Endian wrote:

In article .com,
larry moe 'n curly wrote:

DANCING WITH THE LOSERS wrote:

Did you tell everyone that you're a grocery store clerk, and your son
stays
stoned 24/7,

I thought not!

Scott, you really need to go back on your psycho meds.

Where do you buy it larry moe? I won't' tell, promise.
Or do you grow your own, in the basement or do you have a patch out in
the rainforest somewhere? Just curious.

Get a loaf of rye bread, and keep it in a plastic bag until it starts
to look like this:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/56/14...5c1e87087f.jpg

Then eat or snort, but not alone. Serves up to 100.

So how do you do the lights larry moe and fool the power company??
Posted to rec.boats,alt.autos.toyota,rec.food.cooking,alt.home.repair

Big Endian wrote:

In article .com,
larry moe 'n curly wrote:

DANCING WITH THE LOSERS wrote:

Did you tell everyone that you're a grocery store clerk, and your son
stays stoned 24/7,

I thought not!

Scott, you really need to go back on your psycho meds.

Where do you buy it larry moe? I won't' tell, promise.
Or do you grow your own, in the basement or do you have a patch out in
the rainforest somewhere? Just curious.

Get a loaf of rye bread, and keep it in a plastic bag until it starts
to look like this:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/56/14...5c1e87087f.jpg

Then eat or snort, but not alone. Serves up to 100.

So how do you do the lights larry moe and fool the power company??

Fungus don't need grow lights. It's the environmentally friendly way
to higher consciousness.

Fire treated lumber Terry Home Repair 6 December 22nd 06 05:02 PM
Pressure Treated Lumber (PTL) PVR Home Repair 5 May 12th 06 04:06 AM
treated lumber cj Home Repair 13 April 16th 06 04:04 PM
Pressure Treated Lumber warbler Woodworking 7 October 20th 05 10:20 PM
treated lumber stevie Home Repair 4 August 25th 05 11:33 PM