Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Need some help in blocking High Frequencies.

Have some problems with high frequency sound. I have neiybours and
they have smoke alarms and more than one have run out of batteries,
which is not a problem but I think they are hard wired in so they
still work, but have this high pitched beeping like very minute and
there is more than one going off.

There is more than one building around me and there is no way I can
get them to fix them, as I don't even really know where its comeing
from for sure and I have more than enough trouble getting anything
done in my building

All I want to do is come home and be silence, is that too much to ask
!!!!!!

I just want to know what i can do other than Double or tripple
clazeing on my windows and my Balcony door. I know that can be
expensive but, woudl concider it if it gave me some peace

Thanks for any suggestions.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Same here If i have the TV on I don't notice the smoke alarms beeping
and other stuff, but liek now I am just typeing and not background
interference is on and thats when its anoying, when there shoudl be
silence there is none

How much did it cost to do the double glazeing May I ask

I am in Australia.

On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 14:27:18 -0400, Meat Plow
wrote:

On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 02:56:40 +1000, AquaMan wrote:

Have some problems with high frequency sound. I have neiybours and
they have smoke alarms and more than one have run out of batteries,
which is not a problem but I think they are hard wired in so they
still work, but have this high pitched beeping like very minute and
there is more than one going off.

There is more than one building around me and there is no way I can
get them to fix them, as I don't even really know where its comeing
from for sure and I have more than enough trouble getting anything
done in my building

All I want to do is come home and be silence, is that too much to ask
!!!!!!

I just want to know what i can do other than Double or tripple
clazeing on my windows and my Balcony door. I know that can be
expensive but, woudl concider it if it gave me some peace

Thanks for any suggestions.

Double glazed windows really cut down outside sound. I noticed it right
away when I replaced all the old windows in my house with double glazed.
My house sits close to the road and in the morning there is considerable
noise from traffic to and from the local school by buses and cars. I
would say the double glazed windows cut the sound down by 50%. I used to
have to run a fan in my room to make some noise to block out the outside
but not any more.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Aquaman wrote:
Same here If i have the TV on I don't notice the smoke alarms beeping
and other stuff, but liek now I am just typeing and not background
interference is on and thats when its anoying, when there shoudl be
silence there is none

How much did it cost to do the double glazeing May I ask

I am in Australia.

No clue there, but wag would be $3-400 US/window for decent replacements...

What about one of the active sound cancellation do-hickeys? For a fixed
pitch such as this it might just do the job (at the expense of the
headphones you might not find acceptable, of course)...

Posted to alt.home.repair

I use ear plus at the momment

Its just a punch in the face rally, I have to waer them at work as
well, I want my ears to have a rest from them.

Whats this noise cancelation thign you talking about, sound
sinteresting

Thanks.

On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 13:59:31 -0500, dpb wrote:

Aquaman wrote:
Same here If i have the TV on I don't notice the smoke alarms beeping
and other stuff, but liek now I am just typeing and not background
interference is on and thats when its anoying, when there shoudl be
silence there is none

How much did it cost to do the double glazeing May I ask

I am in Australia.

No clue there, but wag would be $3-400 US/window for decent replacements...

What about one of the active sound cancellation do-hickeys? For a fixed
pitch such as this it might just do the job (at the expense of the
headphones you might not find acceptable, of course)...

Posted to alt.home.repair

That would be about 5 grand Australian, it DAMN well better make it
quiet for that money, but a decent investment in your place though

My place is not a house just an Apartment, flat ect, its only got 4
mid sisded sliding double windows and a Balcony door, + laundry
window, Port hole

MMight be les to do mine, would have to look into it. I like going to
my Mums place on holidays, its DEAD quiet where she lives, where I
used to liive, PURE BLISS

Serves me right moving to the big city

Thanks for the info..

On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 16:22:27 -0400, Meat Plow
wrote:

On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 04:52:38 +1000, Aquaman wrote:

Same here If i have the TV on I don't notice the smoke alarms beeping
and other stuff, but liek now I am just typeing and not background
interference is on and thats when its anoying, when there shoudl be
silence there is none

How much did it cost to do the double glazeing May I ask

I am in Australia.

Around $4,000.00 US to replace all the windows and one door with storm
door. These windows are all vinyl double hung, dual glazed contractor's
grade generic branded and not made by Pella etc...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 13:59:31 -0500, dpb wrote Re
Need some help in blocking High Frequencies.:

What about one of the active sound cancellation do-hickeys? For a fixed
pitch such as this it might just do the job (at the expense of the
headphones you might not find acceptable, of course)...

Or perhaps a "white noise" generator such as this
http://www.naturestapestry.com/generator.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

Sure it is not one of these?

The ThinkGeek Annoy-a-tron
http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/electronic/8c52/
The Annoy-a-tron generates a short (but very annoying, hence the name) beep
every few minutes. Your unsuspecting target will have a hard time 'timing'
the location of the sound because the beeps will vary in intervals ranging
from 2 to 8 minutes. The 2kHz sound is generically annoying enough, but if
you really really want to aggravate somebody, select the 12 kHz sound. Trust
us. The higher frequency and slight 'electronic noise' built into that
soundbyte will make a full-grown Admin wonder where his packets are.

"AquaMan" wrote in message

Have some problems with high frequency sound. I have neiybours and
they have smoke alarms and more than one have run out of batteries,
which is not a problem but I think they are hard wired in so they
still work, but have this high pitched beeping like very minute and
there is more than one going off.

There is more than one building around me and there is no way I can
get them to fix them, as I don't even really know where its comeing
from for sure and I have more than enough trouble getting anything
done in my building

All I want to do is come home and be silence, is that too much to ask
!!!!!!

I just want to know what i can do other than Double or tripple
clazeing on my windows and my Balcony door. I know that can be
expensive but, woudl concider it if it gave me some peace

Thanks for any suggestions.

Posted to alt.home.repair

AquaMan wrote:
Have some problems with high frequency sound. I have neiybours and
they have smoke alarms and more than one have run out of batteries,
which is not a problem but I think they are hard wired in so they
still work, but have this high pitched beeping like very minute and
there is more than one going off.

There is more than one building around me and there is no way I can
get them to fix them, as I don't even really know where its comeing
from for sure and I have more than enough trouble getting anything
done in my building

All I want to do is come home and be silence, is that too much to ask
!!!!!!

I just want to know what i can do other than Double or tripple
clazeing on my windows and my Balcony door. I know that can be
expensive but, woudl concider it if it gave me some peace

Thanks for any suggestions.

Turn off their power. Put a padlock on the circuit breaker box.

That should slow 'em down for a few hours.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Don't forget to yank all the fuses out as well, even more hours of
peace and quiet

On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 10:35:44 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

AquaMan wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

AquaMan wrote:
[...]

That should slow 'em down for a few hours.- Hide quoted text -

If you're fairly sure it is in fact the beep from smoke detectors, I
would send a letter to the whoever owns the apartment building.
State that in addition to the sound annoying you, that it's a fire
hazard, or soon will be because the batteries are almost gone. That
may light a fire under them, so to speak, because now they have been
put on notice and if nothing is done and someone dies in a fire, they
could be liable.

I'd also insist that they get a maintenance guy out there to help you
track down exactly where it's coming from, which can't be that hard.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Earplugs are cheap and comfortable, and particularly effective
on high frequency sound. You forget you have them in. They're
sold for continuous use on the job, for noisy jobs.

Noise-cancelling headphones work even better, on some noises.

That's more just to have the situation under your control, than
a continuously applied solution. You can have quiet when you want
but you may not actually need it all the time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I might get some noise canceling headphones, I use earplugs already.
The porblem is I don't really know where the beeping is coming from
outside my balcony its in like 4 different places. I have about 4
different complexes close to me and I have No idea who runs them.

I will get some quotes on double glazeing and see how much that would
cost to fit my place out

Thanks.

On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 21:57:29 -0400, Ron Hardin
wrote:

Earplugs are cheap and comfortable, and particularly effective
on high frequency sound. You forget you have them in. They're
sold for continuous use on the job, for noisy jobs.

Noise-cancelling headphones work even better, on some noises.

That's more just to have the situation under your control, than
a continuously applied solution. You can have quiet when you want
but you may not actually need it all the time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Weasring earplugs or headphones in your own home, that is just not
right

At least I can fix it and if they have a fire I say burn in hell
beeping boys

Thats not nice either :9

wrote:

Earplugs are cheap and comfortable, and particularly effective
on high frequency sound. You forget you have them in. They're
sold for continuous use on the job, for noisy jobs.

Noise-cancelling headphones work even better, on some noises.

That's more just to have the situation under your control, than
a continuously applied solution. You can have quiet when you want
but you may not actually need it all the time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Aquaman wrote:

The porblem is I don't really know where the beeping is coming from
outside my balcony its in like 4 different places. I have about 4
different complexes close to me and I have No idea who runs them.

You can make an ear funnel to make hearing highly directional. Used to
be used in WW2 before radar to detect incoming planes

Posted to alt.home.repair

I might just mak some put them on and take a picture. Just so you can
laugh your arse off

You guys been very heplfull I like to give somthing back :0

Just call me big ears