Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Halogen Lamp Bulb Question

Hello:

Have lamp that uses those Linear T Halogen bulbs of 150 W.

Lamp has literally been eating bulbs lately.
Not before this.

Have gone thru 3 new ones in about a week.

Anyone else experience this ?

Any thoughts on ?

Thanks,
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 17, 2:41 pm, "Robert11" wrote:
Hello:

Have lamp that uses those Linear T Halogen bulbs of 150 W.

Lamp has literally been eating bulbs lately.
Not before this.

Have gone thru 3 new ones in about a week.

Anyone else experience this ?

Any thoughts on ?

Thanks,
Bob

The lamp socket is probably no good, I had one melt from arching , I
junked the lamp. Cheap sockets or dirt and moisture can cause the lamp
to arch and overheat ruining the bulb at the socket.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert11 wrote:

Hello:

Have lamp that uses those Linear T Halogen bulbs of 150 W.

Lamp has literally been eating bulbs lately.
Not before this.

Have gone thru 3 new ones in about a week.

Anyone else experience this ?

Any thoughts on ?

Thanks,
Bob

I've got a bunch of brand new sockets for that style bulb I'll never use
up myself. If you email me the overall length of the bulb in your lamp
and it matches the sockets I've got I'd be happy to stick one in an
envelope and mail it to you gratis.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 15:41:28 -0400, "Robert11"
wrote:

Hello:

Have lamp that uses those Linear T Halogen bulbs of 150 W.

Lamp has literally been eating bulbs lately.
Not before this.

Have gone thru 3 new ones in about a week.

Anyone else experience this ?

Any thoughts on ?

Thanks,
Bob

Been there, done that......
It seems that once the socket is defective, they eat bulbs.
Apparently they arc and burn up the bulb.

I have had at least 4 fixtures do this. I just replaced them.
A new socket will fix it too, but often a new fixture is cheaper.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Robert11 wrote:
Hello:

Have lamp that uses those Linear T Halogen bulbs of 150 W.

Lamp has literally been eating bulbs lately.
Not before this.

Have gone thru 3 new ones in about a week.

Anyone else experience this ?

Any thoughts on ?

Other posters are mentioning bad sockets. Sometimes the sockets have
corrosion that may be removable by scrubbing away with sandpaper or the
right shape grinding tip.

Another possibility that comes to my mind: The replacement bulbs are
junky pieces of garbage.

You will probably have better luck with reputable major brands, which
include GE, Philips, Sylvania, Osram, and Ushio. Also look where they are
manufactured - I have an impression that better ones are made in North
America, Europe and Japan.

- Don Klipstein )

How to power a halogen bulb? HiC Electronics Repair 10 October 12th 06 11:06 PM
HALOGEN TORCHIER LAMP HELP [email protected] Home Repair 15 June 6th 06 03:28 AM
MR16 Halogen bulb Kathy Home Repair 4 March 6th 06 01:49 PM
Halogen Lamp looks promising. The3rd Earl Of Derby UK diy 0 December 29th 05 11:29 PM
Halogen bulb goes on, then dims until it goes off David E. Home Ownership 2 September 20th 05 03:05 AM