Posted to alt.home.repair

Default installing a thermostat for a construction heater

Hi,

I have just recently installed wiring for a 250v construction heater
and want to put a thermostat on it.

Can anyone tell me what I need to do, and can I use an old furnace
thermostat to run it?

Thanks,

Gerry

(BTW, thanks for the info I got for wiring the heater. It works great)

Posted to alt.home.repair

gerryincanada wrote:
Hi,

I have just recently installed wiring for a 250v construction heater
and want to put a thermostat on it.

Can anyone tell me what I need to do, and can I use an old furnace
thermostat to run it?

Thanks,

Gerry

(BTW, thanks for the info I got for wiring the heater. It works great)

Hi,
Oh, no. You need a line voltage thermostat with 250V rating. Something
like used on baseboard heaters. Check the Honeywell web site.
Posted to alt.home.repair

According to Tony Hwang :
gerryincanada wrote:

I have just recently installed wiring for a 250v construction heater
and want to put a thermostat on it.

Can anyone tell me what I need to do, and can I use an old furnace
thermostat to run it?

Oh, no. You need a line voltage thermostat with 250V rating. Something
like used on baseboard heaters. Check the Honeywell web site.

Any hardware or DIY box store will have lots of choices. They're cheap.
Typically $15.

Construction heaters usually have thermostats on them, but they're not
very accurate/settable.

I have two 4800W cube heaters for heating up my garage in the winter. "Proper"
thermostats would be nice in order to set a specific air temp, but I've found
that the built-in ones are good enough to avoid getting off my butt and
spend a few bucks to install "real" ones.
--
Chris Lewis,

new construction home, but installing wood laminate soon after inblosam Home Repair 8 February 24th 07 09:50 PM
installing thermostat bbuk UK diy 5 November 22nd 06 11:16 AM
Installing Whirlpool - Cement bed Or Construction Glue? Jim Home Repair 1 June 23rd 05 11:36 PM
Installing Rad Thermostat Geoff Lane UK diy 4 January 27th 05 07:18 PM
Installing windows, new construction habbi Home Repair 4 November 19th 04 11:10 PM